2250 DE Tourney List Challenge!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2250 DE Tourney List Challenge!!

Hey folks, first off I'm new here and new to the game I bought a huge DE used army from e-bay a couple of years ago amounting to somewhere around 8k points! It's all randomly assorted things, some of which are awfully painted and missing pieces, but hey it's my first army and it was cheap so I can't complain. One of my friends is going to a Warhammer tournament in just 1 week and wants me to come with him. I don't have much experience but know the basic rules and I've been playing games for 10 years so I should catch on pretty fast. The problem is assembling a tournament worthy list in just 1 week that I can play. I figured I would list the models I have to work with and see if you guys could mold me a 2250 tourney list I have read most of the threads on here about 2250 DE list and I am starting to understand what's good and what's not. And unfortunately I have no dark riders and no money to buy any in time for the tourney. Here's the list of models I have:

85-90 repeating crossbowmen

13 shades (plus 2 weird guys which could either be assassins or shades im not sure)

55 or so blackguard (some of these are old models so they may be executioners instead)

43 corsairs

2 Assassins (plus those 2 i mentioned earlier that could go either way)

2 sorceress

1 sorcerer

1 war hydra w/ 2 beastmasters

10 harpies

33 witchelves

1 blood cauldron

50+ warriors (some w/ handweps some w/ spears)

15 cold one knights

9 reaper bolt throwers!

Also I'm pretty sure my friend has a noble mounted on a manticore and maybe some other assorted DE troops.

I don't even have the updated DE book yet but I'm getting it from him tomorrow. So sorry this isn't already a pre-made list, but if anyone could help, and discuss the reasoning behind the picks, I would greatly appreciate it and try and converse about strategy so I can get in the groove of things.

EDIT: Oh ya, all those squadrons have full commands, and the corsairs/warriors have 2 full commands included in the numbers.

Last edited by Tewl; March 6th, 2009 at 18:08.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Wow, that's a lot of spiky elves.

You've got a lot of potentially good builds in there. A BG bunker, shooty list, magic heavy, and the like. What sort of army did you want to field? Defensive and shooty, offensive and mobile, magicky, monstrous?
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well here are my thoughts on the list I would like (note this is coming from a beginner who only has 2 games under his belt).

At 2250 points I figure going too shooting heavy is a mistake because my opponent will have enough forces that he will break through a considerable amount to my side and obliterate my archers on turn 2-3. Magic seems very important so I wanted maybe around 2 lvl 2 sorceress. I wanted corsairs down the middle of the field as a sort of meat shield with their sea dragon cloaks also to help absorb some of the shooting. I was thinking of hiding an Assassin in the corsairs unit to give them extra hitting power to help combat resolution so my corsairs won't flee as easily from a big charge from calvary.

So that means maybe 2 units of 10 xbows in 1 line to get maximum shooting. And maybe a 6x3 block of corsairs (1 of which is assassin)

I figure a block of spearmen also as charge absorbers maybe in a 5x4 formation, w/ shields. And another block of warriors somewhere.

1-2 units of 6 cold one knights for good flanking and have some nice hitting power.

I wanted to fit the hydra in there as well, and possibly a dreadlord either mounted on cold one or on the manticore. Most likely the cold one to open up more points, and so he can lend his LD to my core to help bolster them.

2 RBT would probably be nice.

Also i was thinking a unit of shades and Harpies, possibly going to 2 units of one of those whichever you think is better.

So basically a very versatile list w/ a strong core base for the middle of the field. Versatile threats w/ big punch in the cold ones and hydra. 40 shots in shooting from the crossbowmen and the 2 repeating bolt throwers, but not waste so many points on them that when the force reaches them I won't lose too many victory points. I've heard a BSB is useful so maybe fit one of those in. Harpies and Shades for taking out certain units when the time is right, as well as hassling my big problems like war machines. I wish I had dark riders as those sound very useful.

I'm certainly not opposed to using Black Guard or Executioners, I love both of those units, I just haven't used either of them yet so I don't know how they do. Black Guard seem very good and very sturdy.
    Last edited by Tewl; March 6th, 2009 at 21:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

With enough firepower you can blow a lot of armies off the board, and with DE speed you can avoid fights all day.

That said, a more balanced mix is always a good pick.

Something like this?

Dreadlord w/ Armor of Eternal Servitude, Deathpiercer, Ring of Hotek, Manticore, shield, sdc, 2 repeater handbows
    level 2 Sorc w/ Sacrificial Dagger, Dispel Scroll
    level 2 Sorc w/ Tome of Furion, Seal of Ghrond or Lifetaker

18 Corsairs, full command, Sea Serpent Standard
    Assassin w/ 2 hand weapons, Rune of Khaine, Manbane
    22 Warriors w/ full command and shield
    2x 10 RxBs
    2x 5 Harpies

2x 5 Shades w/ great weapons

Hydra
    2 RBTs

You've got 2 big monsters, good blocks of infantry (with extra bodies to sacrifice), good magic, plenty of shooting, and scouts and fliers for diversions.

You could swap out the Shades and Manticore for a big unit of BG to run your Dreadlord with. These guys are an amazing anvil and with the Dreadlord they can hit pretty hard.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread