1000point Dark Elf Versatile Punch - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000point Dark Elf Versatile Punch

I am thinking of switching over to Dark Elves and I came up with this army list as an initial fun and friendly army. I am also hoping that it will be versatile, but competitive. I had these goals:

1) I did NOT want to take advantage of the range combat provided by dark elves because I did not want to have to sit back and protect it with such few points. A 1250 point army seemed like a better set up for a range attack.
    2) I wanted to make sure that I had enough units. I hate being outnumbered 2:1.
    3) Try out a couple different types of Dark Elf units.

Sorceress (1) Sacrifical dagger 25, Level 2, 160pts
    Warriors (20 ), Full command 295pts
    Unit is 30% of Army

This unit I am hoping will be strong in the magic phase, I am worried that I will want more warriors to sacrifice. In the end it may seem like a magic heavy game because I don't have a big central unit.

Dark Rider (5), Repeater Crossbow 110pts 10% of Army

A versatile unit that can protect a flank or threaten war machines or casters in back. It hopefully would be a cheap way to provide a nuisance. Only unit with repeater crossbows.

Black Guard (15) 195pts Full Command, Standard Hag Greaf, 265pts 25% of Army

Also worried they won't be strong enough to defeat a big charge, but they are the anvil of the army. If they can take a hit, other units can hit the unit that hit them.

Harpies (5) 55pts 5%

Another nuisance that I can throw away in to attempt harass the back line or to prevent a flank attack.

War Hydra 175pts 20%

Unsure about this choice, but I think it is great bang for the buck for a 1000 point army. Having magic with the warriors, the blackguards that hit first, are stubborn,and immune to psychology, and the Hydra with terror, regeneration, and a breath attack will be three tough units all with unique strengths.

Cold One Chariot 100pts

Instead of getting repeater crossbow men or a RBT (which both would need to be protected), I thought the chariot could protect the flank--it is tough and has fear. It was the cheapest unit to threaten and protect the flank.

All constructive criticism will be appreciated. I am concerned about not having enough warriors and black guards (individual pieces) and incorrectly taking too many auxiliary units like harpies, war hydra and cold one chariot. I felt like I couldn't afford a master (the Chariot protecting the flank seemed more important) or another core unit (Hydra or Chariot seemed like more bang for the buck on the 1000 point scale).

What is do you see as the biggest strength of the army or the unit that you would make stronger?

What is the biggest weakness of the army or the unit that you would replace?

Is there a key unit that you would add?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for others ideas on this forum. I just can't feel satisfied with a 1000 point army!

Last edited by DragonArmy; May 18th, 2009 at 00:16. Reason: Edited Point Values In Response to ManorrStormbreakers observation! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Zei
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like this list, i can't really see anything wrong with it tbh.
    The Black Guard aren't a pushover and they will anchor well and probally solo any other unit coming their way at this point level.

If you can play a game with this setup and tell me how it went that would be great and good luck.
    Dark Elves W/D/L/ 11-3-3
    Dwarfs W/D/L 0/1/2
    Last game: Dwarfs - Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya ^^
    Just wanted to tell you before any moderators come stormin',
    that you can't post individual point cost, so your sorceress should be put something like this i think.
    Sorceress, Sacrifical dagger, Level 2. 160.
    If that is indeed the full point cost for her.
    Other than that the army list looks cool i think
    I'd like to see a combo charge of your hydra and chariot,
    what a sweet bloody mess

Cheers!

Manorr!
    "Scream your lungs out!"
    Manorr Stormbreaker, the Silent - Lord of Khorne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Update has been made. While I like the cold one chariot, I am thinking of getting rid of it for more harpies and other items like dispel scrolls or ring of hotek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't really know about that as i don't really know that much about the dark elfs magic items. But if you're droppin' a chariot, the only thing you'd have left for hammer would be the hydra. But if you did take out the chariot you could also take away the dark riders, then you would have the points for another caster and perhaps some more harpies. Wich would spell doom for most armies in the magic phase, at this point cost ^^

Manorr
    "Scream your lungs out!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManorrStormbreaker View Post
    Don't really know about that as i don't really know that much about the dark elfs magic items. But if you're droppin' a chariot, the only thing you'd have left for hammer would be the hydra. But if you did take out the chariot you could also take away the dark riders, then you would have the points for another caster and perhaps some more harpies. Wich would spell doom for most armies in the magic phase, at this point cost ^^

Manorr
    Need the Dark Riders because they are my second core unit. The Chariot is pretty sweet--it just seems like the first thing that I would take out. Thanks for help and insight--Chariot appears to be more of a highlight than I was expecting. The Strong Black Guard Unit, the Hydra and the Chariot may be more threatening than I was expecting.

DragonArmy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah sorry forgot 'bout that.
    Yeah no problem man, list looks like something i don't want to meet on the battlefield with my (few) warriors of chaos.

Cheers

Manorr
    "Scream your lungs out!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya, I have to say you really meant it when you said versatile! As far as balanced lists go, this is one of the best I have seen. It has an answer to most situations and is well built. Its a fun and friendly list like you stated but here lies your problem. I have come to notice that most lists used these days aren't balanced in the slightest, people tend to go O.T.T with one aspect of the game. I would love to play a game against that army and with it, but I wouldn't like to take it to tournaments where you get these players with 20 power dice or 200 shooting attacks etc. Its a shame really because I think its a wonderful list

I hope I didn't cause offense, and I hope even more you prove me wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rythla View Post
    Heya, I have to say you really meant it when you said versatile! As far as balanced lists go, this is one of the best I have seen. It has an answer to most situations and is well built. Its a fun and friendly list like you stated but here lies your problem. I have come to notice that most lists used these days aren't balanced in the slightest, people tend to go O.T.T with one aspect of the game. I would love to play a game against that army and with it, but I wouldn't like to take it to tournaments where you get these players with 20 power dice or 200 shooting attacks etc. Its a shame really because I think its a wonderful list

I hope I didn't cause offense, and I hope even more you prove me wrong!
    Thanks tons! I agree--the hardest part is that it is only a 1000 point list. I'm banking on the fat that other armies won't be able to be specialized that much at this point cost. I've started the painting of the army but have not tested it out yet. I'll post once I test it (which may be another three weeks). I guess I could add more magic or more speed.

+ Reply to Thread