Trying To Build an Aggressive 2k List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Trying To Build an Aggressive 2k List

I've built my army up to a balanced, 2,000 point level and played with it enough to have a clear idea of where I want to go...but no idea how to get there. I would like to focus on Dark Elf aggression, specifically on setting up seriously hard charges and running my opponent down. This is the sort of list I use right now:

10 Crossbowmen

10 Crossbowmen

20 Corsairs, F.C.

20 Corsairs, F.C.

30 Warriors, F.C.

6 Shades (my top performer!)

2 Repeater Crossbows

6-9 Cold One Knights

Various characters

In general, the list does fine. The Crossbowmen consistently underperform but my metagame is all T4 (Lizardmen, Ogres, Chaos Knights, Dwarves...) so that's probably why. I really like the Corsairs and Cold Ones, and since I face so many defensive armies I would like to be as fast and aggressive as possible. (I almost never win with SCR. Probably most Elves are like that.) I know I need at least one squad of Dark Riders to deny rank bonuses and I'm thinking vaguely about handbow Corsairs with characters or assassins in them but nothing really catches my fancy. Can anybody advise me?

"My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are bringing youre corsairs as an anvil then I sould add the sea serpent standard giving them base 3 attacks with 2 hand weapon. Also a sorceress with the lore of shadow would be nice because she is able to get youre troops up their quickly with a lucky dice roll or even cause fear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why all those s3 attacks? Especially against tough opponents with armour, s3 doesnt quite cut it.

If you want to be agressive and hit the opposition hard, you need some sort of punch unit. Black Guard, Executioners or hydras really pack a punch!

My personal favorit is:

20 Black Guard
    w Standart of Hag Graef, Tower Captain with Crimson Death

led by:
    A battle standart bearer with the ring of Darkness, gw, ha, sh, sdc
    + sometimes my dreadlord with hydra blade and potion of strength (+ various)

This unit is completely overpowering and because of the ring of darkness it cant really be shot down easely. You just have to worry about magic. It is very effective even without the dreadlord, often removing the entire front rank of the opposing unit before they even strike.

Apart from that I am a huge fan of hydras. m6 helpes a bit, and they dont suffer much from shooting. In close combat its quite unique to have 7s5 attacks from such a cheap model.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

If you're playing a bunch of T4 defensive armies or slow moving armies and want to play more aggressively, then - you need to get more aggressive units in your army.

Proxy your corsairs as shades w/ bsb and asf banner and get some dark riders and hydras and move out of your deployment zone.

Personally, I don't think the Black Guard will put a dent in your opponent either. You need something that can wound on 2-3's and take something off that armor save the enemy has. I've had black guard wilt in the face of most T4 enemies because they can't cause enough wounds even with characters in the unit.
    Last edited by buckero0; August 4th, 2009 at 23:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 s6 attacks and 6 s4 attacks with hatred from the first rank hurts just about anyone.

5-7 s7 attacks, 6 s6 attacks and 4 s4 attacks with hatred absolutely massacres anything, come bloodthirster, Chaos Knights, Ogres, Temple Guards, Ironbreakers.

I am in love with the black guard! :-) I know others may figure out cheaper or more tactically subtle solutions, but a tooled up BG is a no-brainer. It will always pull its weight, and even if it gets beaten, it most likely stick in there to make time for your countercharge.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you guys but I wanted to experiment with your ideas. The Hydra in particular sounds like a good idea; would a beast-heavy list be a good decision? Something like two Hydras and a Manticore? I tried using the Cloak of Shadows bound spell item for my assassin but it worked poorly--my opponent had too easy a time shutting him down. I still need to try a Shadow-lore sorceror, though.

I'd like to avoid the "Black Guard Death Star" approach--it's the tactics of WHFB that interest me rather then unstoppable juggernaut units.

I'm still heavily interested in denying my opponent as much combat resolution as I can. In your experience, would Dark Riders or Harpies be a better choice for a side/rear charge? Harpies are cheaper, faster and skirmishers but Dark Riders are more durable, damaging and versatile.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    I tried using the Cloak of Shadows bound spell item for my assassin but it worked poorly--my opponent had too easy a time shutting him down. I still need to try a Shadow-lore sorceror, though.

I'm still heavily interested in denying my opponent as much combat resolution as I can. In your experience, would Dark Riders or Harpies be a better choice for a side/rear charge? Harpies are cheaper, faster and skirmishers but Dark Riders are more durable, damaging and versatile.
    Beast-heavy is pretty common.

I wouldn't cloak of shadows my assassin unless I wanted him to get killed. It really only works of you have a lot of magic anyway, otherwise, it can get dispelled fairly easily. Assassins are hardly invincible.

I'd say both dark riders and harpies are not great choices for side, rear charge (of course it depends on what you're chargin) Harpies do not negate ranks and T4 warriors (like saurus) may cause your dark riders to bounce off. They are both frail and don't hit hard. cold ones or shades hit pretty hard and while the shades don't negate ranks, they would kill more and give the flank/rear bonus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally i wouldn't take a unit of 30 of anything, especially not soldiers. Its like putting all your eggs in one basket, and if they break chances are your units gone. Also if youre going for hard hitting i would use a chariot or two and maybe even a hydra if you can squeeze it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in my 2k dark elf army i would have a dreadlord with the pendant,shield,sdc and armour of enternal servituid and arm him with the soul render or a crimson death.(and sometime stick him on a cold one). this makes the lord pretty much invinsable cause he has a 4 or 3 up save in cloe combat a really good ward and regeneration.

if u then get 2 units of drk riders with crossbows and a musican and stick 1 level 2 in each unit u have a fast moving sorceress also to bolt throwers and a hydra are always nice as well as 2 units of crossbows and ether black guard,executioners or a unit of cold one knights with f.c and standerd of strike first is fast and hard hitting and also if you want to anoy your opponent take 6 shade with gw and a assasin with manbane and rending stars.

i find the the lord works well in the cold one unit with a crimson death or the deathpeicer if you take deathpeircer the give the unit champ a crimson death.

+ Reply to Thread