New DE player looking for advise on competitive 2250 pt army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New DE player looking for advise on competitive 2250 pt army

Hey guys. I'm new to Warhammer and I would like your feedback on this 2250 pt competitive list.

Characters
    Lvl 4 SS (Focus Familiar, 2x Dispel Scroll) - 285 pts
    Master(HA, SDC, Shield, BSB, Banner of Nagarythe) - 240 pts
    Death Hag w/ Cauldron - 200 pts
    Lvl 2 Sorceress (Tome of Furion, Seal of Ghrond) - 180 pts

Core
    27 Warriors w/ Shields - 189 pts
    2x 5 Dark Riders (Rx - 220 pts
    5 Harpies - 55 pts

Special
    13 Black Guard (Banner of Hag Graef) w/ Tower Master (Crimson Death) - 270 pts
    13 Witch Elves (Banner of Murder) Hag (Rune of Khaine) - 210 pts

Rare
    2x War Hydra 350 pts

The master goes in the warrior unit. The warriors go up the middle of the table with the Witch Elves and Black Guard on either side so they all get the buff from the banner of nagarythe. The Hydras protect the flanks/ hammer units later in the game. The SS will go with the BG and the sorceress where ever and do their thing. The Dark Riders and/or Harpies will protect me from faster units that would tie up my infantry before they can get across the field or they could go for seige units or harrass casters or thin out lightly armored units. The idea is for the infantry to attack first and do so much damage up front that they dont take very many wounds and then win combat and run down their enemies so ill line them up in rows of 7 for max attacks. The cauldron is their to keep the witches from breaking and losing frenzy and to buff units, especially to increase wounds by the infantry. The one thing that im not sure what to do about is flying supermonsters like dragons of demons landing on top of me. I think that the Dark riders should be able to do enough damage to their weaker flyers to keep them from becoming too big of a problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

At least give the Warrior block a banner. For less then the price of a single shielded warrior you get +1 resolution. Also give the unit a champion, Because your BSB really doesn't want to risk getting killed in a challenge. 25 with full command is 190, so if you drop the music you end up at 187. Unbreakable units want as much static resolution as possible, if you can spare the points, get a war banner in there too. I believe you can get it up to a 7-8 SCR block.

Why does the SS have a focus familiar? It has to be in the front rank, so it has LoS anyways. It doesn't really do anything in this list. A foot wizard usually has a black staff, or a dagger. If you want to make good use of the FF put her on a dark steed or dark Pegasus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does this look?

Characters – 935 pts
    Lvl 4 Supreme Sorceress (Focus Familiar, Dark Steed) – 303 pts
    Lvl 2 Sorceress (Tome of Furion, Seal of Ghrond, Dark Steed) – 192 pts
    Death Hag w/ Cauldron – 200 pts
    Master (HA, SDC, Shield, BSB, Banner of Nagarythe) – 240 pts

Core – 481 pts
    25 Warriors (Lordling, Banner, Shields, War Banner) – 226 pts
    2x 5 Dark Riders (Rx – 220 pts
    5 Harpies – 55 pts

Special
    13 Black Guard (Banner of Hag Graef) Tower Master (Crimson Death) – 270 pts
    13 Witch Elves (Banner of Murder) Hag (Rune of Khaine) – 210 pts

Rare – 350 pts
    2x War Hydra – 350 pts

Total – 2246 pts

I dont think the dagger is a good idea when my warrior block is trying to win combat on the first round because if i sac too many of them I wont get the SCR for having outnumber. Also, do you think that I have enough magic defense or should I drop something to add dispel scrolls. If you think that I should go in a completely different direction just let me know. I'm not set on this build, im just trying to make the best army possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

well you have 6 dispel dice, which should be enough vs most opponents. A single scroll couldn't hurt any, but scrolls are what you buy if you can afford it. I don't really see anywhere you can drop enough without hurting the units to justify a scroll. Banner of murder would be most likely choice, but witches really do well with that. If you do drop the banner of murder, try to give the hag manbane instead, so the unit will have some armor busting.

I think you got the points wrong on the warrior block. When I ran the numbers on them, I came up with 215 for Full Command and a war banner. The cost you have is for 27 including the champ, banner and war banner (skipping the music)

I usually don't have a problem sacking guys in the unbreakable block. I only really kill 1-2 guys a turn, and they have enough bodies in the unit that losing a couple won't really effect resolution. Then again the problem with that approach is the wizard won't have LoS when the unit gets into combat (why I like the spells that don't require LoS). I personally mostly make good use out of a black staff lvl 4 on dark peg. That is a very expensive way to run her though, since she usually needs the pendant.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Do you really want to run the Black Guard on the flank? Normally they're the anvil of a list...and if you're spending the points for ASF on top of the Banner of Nagarythe then you should beef up the model count, too. Crossbowmen, handbow Corsairs and Dark Riders are the units generally tasked with the sidelines.

...my warrior block is trying to win combat on the first round
    Think twice here. One, Dark Elves don't often win through SCR. Like all elves, we're really fragile stat-wise; it's hard for us to keep up enough SCR to balance out the attrition we take. Two, warriors don't kill much on the offensive, not with a single average-S attack per guy. With the BoN the warriors won't break until the Master dies, but they still lack the ability to win against most forces. I would advise not relying on SCR at all. Try putting your Hydras in the middle of your formation instead, or using a killy Dreadlord instead of the BSB.

How would you kill a high-end character with this list?
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

If he runs the warriors as he has them, they have 8 SCR. Unless you are going up against something like lizards or WoC in full blocks (which neither do all that often) even with losses he should still come out ahead. They will hold till they are all dead, so the idea is to hold up a unit to set up a flank charge if the opponent doesn't break on the first round of combat.

You kill a high end character with magic, or just avoid/feed him something not worth his time. Most high end characters are taken in lists that are already weak against lore of metal, so the number one spell from that lore can do a good job of taking out a power character. Then there is the killing blow that the cauldron can grant. Nobody wants their combat lord taken out by a lowly champion, but a cauldron blessing can make it happen.

+ Reply to Thread