1000 points v WoC - thank you in advance. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 points v WoC - thank you in advance.

Hi all,

First proper game against WoC at the weekend using a 1000 point army.
    I play Dark Elves and have a nice mix of models to meet most lists up to 2500 points.

The WoC army will mainly be chaos warriors 1 unit and chaos knights 1 units.
    Warhounds and marauders will make up the rest with possibly 1 mounted lord on a juggernaut.

Could anyone offer any advice on what list to combat this melee based army – I am not keen on taking lots of ranged as I will get squished within a few turns unless I can keep the knights away using harpies but being a fairly new player march blocking isn’t something im good at yet J

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am fairly new so please dont expect me to be some "expert"

But i have recently found that alot of Black Gaurd is useful because of their +1 strength (4) for their halberds. and mix them with a hydra banner master, a champion with a crismon death and you will have (4 str 4 ws 6)( attacks 3 strength 6)( attacks and 12 strength 4 attacks!) averaging around 8-12 kills each round of combat ... knocking out most cavalry and infantry troop unless spears on foot. mabye 1 or 2 attacks back. forcing them to take a ld test if failed the I7 master will hopefully run them down. kill the whole unit. and move onto the next target with the charge.

I would advise some archery due to the fact of needing to kill special units that mite merc your black gaurds out of combat. ( because of their T3 4+ armour save) which could be the game.

YOU NEED A GENERAL SO EITHER CHOOSE A DEATH HAG OR ANOTHER MASTER!!!!! V INPORTANT.

make sure u take either 1 archery formation and another core unit. to get the 2 or more core unit rule.

For the rest id advise either. Cok's Shade's Black rider's war hydra or any other hard to kill unit because it will defenity help to have something protecting the archery. due to the fact they get 1 attack in combat each. = 6 attacks. strength 3 ws 4.... ( aka not good )

Remeber... im new to warhammer too. im just going by what others have told me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Normal archery doesn't work against WoC. Their armor saves even with AP is too good. What Does work against them is bolt throwers, cold one knights and chariots, and black guard with Crimson death champ and ASF. You don't need the hydra banner at this points level, since it costs WAY too much.

It might be worth running an assassin, because rune of khaine, manbane, and extra hand weapon, is one heck of a choppy guy. Or you could go with the rune killing blow version, or my favorite, manbane rending stars in a unit of 5 GW shades. (S= T+2 that hit on 2's? Yeah, its pretty good with 3 shots AND the BS5 RxBs the shades have)

Normally I just magic WoC, since lore of metal is pretty much the answer to them. But at this points level I don't know if it is worth going for.

If I have time later I might post a list that will give you a good shot at beating WoC.

Darkelfplayer: Did you just say black guard have T3 4+ save? If you did then I would like to correct that. They only have heavy armor, so it is a 5+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi and thanks for the tips - magic seems like a good idea but at 1000 points i think they would easily dispell it.

Sorry to be a pain could you explain why lore of metal is so good against them i had alook but only 1-2 of the spells seemed worth it unless i am missing something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

The number one spell is good against them, so you can default to it (picking out characters and champs is nice). The number 6 spell is really good against them, so if you roll it it is nice. Their is only one really useless spell in the lore, the others are all at least decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2x5 DR = 170
    15 BG (crimson death champion and Hag Graef Standard) = 283
    5 CoKs (banner of cold blood) = 166
    2xRBT = 200
    Master (Full armour, Cold One, lance, Pendant of Khaeleth) = 149

= 968

From there you can start tweaking.
    Dark Elves: Massacres: 14, Solid Victories: 2, Minor Victories: 0, Draws: 2, Minor Defeats: 0, Solid Defeats: 0, Massacred: 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and thanks for that - do u think its worth adding the mounted master to the CoK?

Anyway of adding a hydra to be nasty or do you suggest 2 x RBT's over a hydra?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally, no. The hydra is really evil, and would proberbly do well against WoC. But the thing is, RbTs are exceptionally effective against warriors of chaos, so in this particular case it is proberbly a tough call between hydra and RBTs.

I chose RBTs because they will give you the tactical advantage and will help you control the game. If you can keep both alive for six turns of shooting, I cannot see you loosing. I would deploy a unit of dark riders solely to protect the RBTs.

And the master obviously goes with the CoKs. It gives them a nice punch.
    Dark Elves: Massacres: 14, Solid Victories: 2, Minor Victories: 0, Draws: 2, Minor Defeats: 0, Solid Defeats: 0, Massacred: 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again for the tip.
    I noticed you selected cold blood banner for CoK i assume this will be used just to make sure they get to charge that round instead of being stupid?
    to go with that do you roll stupidity test for each CoK mount ? if 1 passes do they all pass ? if one fails does that mean they all fail? sorry to be a pain.

I was looking at the banner of murder (AP rule) that seemed like a good idea against WoC but will go with what you said.
    Thanks again.

my god the adverts are a pain on this forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

going for 2 bolt throwers for sure now.
    Last edited by SOSAGES; January 22nd, 2010 at 18:23.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast