<2000 2250 pts- Competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2250 pts- Competitive

Dark Elf 2250 Tournament 1-
    Lord-
    Dreadlord- Armour of Darkness, Soul Render, Pendant of Khaleth, Ring of Hotek- 240

Heroes-

Death Hag- Cauldron of Blood- 200

Master- BSB, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One, Shield, Armour of Eternal Servitude, Null talisman- 181

Sorceress- 2x Dispel Scrolls- 150

Core-

5x Harpies- 55

5x Harpies- 55

19x Spearmen- Shields, Champ & SB, Warbanner- 170

10x Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen- 100

5x Dark Riders- Xbows- 110

Assassin- AHW, Rending Stars, Manbane, Cloak of Twilight- 171

Special-
    19x Blackguard- FC, Crimson Death, Standard of Hag Graef- 342

7x Shades- GW’s- 126

Rare-
    1x War Hydra- 175

1x War Hydra- 175

Total: 2250pts

Moved magic items around a bit, and changed the assassin to be more useful in the shades group as advised. I switched the RoH to go with the DL (originally planned it to work with his Dark Steed and staying near enemy casters *shrug*). Moved shields to the spearmen and gave the BG champ the crimson death. Took musician out of the dr's and crossbowmen.

Debating taking 2 bolt throwers in place of a hydra, but I should have a shot at taking down largies with the assassin.

Last edited by drpieceofme; March 18th, 2010 at 15:30. Reason: Updated list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I don't really get the music and shields on RXBs, if they get into combat they are done for. All adding that does is make it more expensive when they are lost. Support units are ultimately disposable, no reason to spend more than you have to on them. (why I also run no music in dark riders, and my shades are min size.)

Also, why don't your spearmen have shields? They are the unit that ACTUALLY wants to get into combat. Why would you deny them a good save if their entire point is to be SCR. Just makes no sense to give your ranged guys a CC upgrade, yet to NOT pay for a simple upgrade for your actual CC unit.

I prefer manbane rending star assassins in lists that have shades. They are cheaper than your assassin, and they get to scout which means more turns of relevance. Also they give you ranged big hard to kill target ability.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

It looks like a typical Black Guard Death Star. Why not field your Dark Riders as flank chargers to accompany the Black Guard, with the undead Dread leading them? They never seem to do much when used as minimal run & gun units. Maybe it's just me.

I've actually had good results giving full commands and shields to Crossbowmen, although I usually field them 10x2 when I do. When they get threatened by enemies, they redress ranks down to 5x4 and have as good SCR and save as Warriors. Granted they're more expensive that way, but they're also doing things every turn with those crossbows and might even be able to stand & shoot or fire in two ranks.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

The problem with running full command and shields on big crossbow units is that you are paying 240 points for a unit that is not good in combat. They have no spears and can't take a magic banner. If you run them 10x2, then you need a hill (not always available) and they can only choose one target a turn, compared to 2 separate units which can choose different targets. Paying more for less flexibility isn't usually a good idea. Sure they may seem flexible in that they can shoot, and perform almost acceptably in combat.... But you are paying a large premium to do so. I would rather just have more units available than pay for combat options on a disposable shooting unit.

My dark riders do really well as run and gun, I rarely ever charge with them since they tend to do very little even while flanking. (I play mostly against armies that don't care much about losses like undead, or are hard to kill like WoC and lizards) Besides, CoKs are much better flanking units. These days my dark riders usually get shot up, and only rarely do they last the whole game or even kill their points worth. But tactically they earn every point back and more. A RxB DR unit can do everything that a flanking unit can, but ALSO has the option to shoot and make use of the full range of fast cav advantages.

+ Reply to Thread