<3000 2000pt friendies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

2000pt friendies

Hi all,

I've been out of the game for about a year now and looking to get back into it with a local club with friendly but well balanced take-all-comers lists.

These lists make use of almost every built/painted model I have, So Im not really looking for major unit overhauls. I'd just like a gauge of how well the lists would stack up against enemy lists these days, seeing as I'm a bit out of touch with the latest trends.
    Tweeking of magic items and unit command/banners etc is also welcome.

------
    Master – 129
    -Pendant of Khaeleth
    -Hand weapon, Great Weapon
    -Heavy armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield

Sorceress, Level 2 – 192
    -Darkstar cloak
    -Dispel Scroll
    -Dark Steed

Sorceress, Level 2 – 180
    -Focus Familiar
    -Power stone

Assassin – 166
    -Rune of Khaine, Manbane poison, Additional hand weapon (4 + D3 attacks)
    -Cloak of Twilight

CORE
    25 Spearmen – 215 (+ Master)
    -Full command, Warbanner

15 Corsairs – 200 (+ Assassin)
    -Full command, Sea Serpent Standard

5 Dark Riders – 117 (+ Sorceress)
    -Musician, Crossbows

10 Repeater Crossbowmen (+ Sorceress)

7 Harpies

SPECIAL
    6 Cold One Knights – 221
    Standard, Musician, Standard of Slaughter

Cold One Chariot
    Cold One Chariot

RARE
    Bolt Thrower
    Bolt Thrower

= 1997

-----------------
    Dragon version

Dreadlord – 540
    -Black Dragon
    -Lance, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak
    -Armor of Eternal Servitude, Seal of Ghrond

Sorceress – 150
    -2x Dispel Scrolls

CORE
    25 Spearmen – 215
    -Full command, Shields, Warbanner

14 Corsairs – 180
    -Standard, Musician, Sea Serpent Standard

10 Repeater Crossbowmen - 100

7 Harpies

5 Dark Riders - 117
    - Musician, Crossbows

SPECIAL

Cold One Chariot
    Cold One Chariot

6 Cold One Knights – 221
    -Standard, Musician, Banner of Murder

RARE
    Reaper Bolt thrower
    Reaper Bolt thrower

= 2000

Tactics should be fairly obvious to fellow DE players. But basically: spears/corsairs for tieing down units while the hard hitters and flankers do their stuff. A bit of shooting and magic support/defense, harpies for war machine hunting, Riders for march blocking and charge baiting..

thoughts?

Cheers
    Manu

Last edited by Manu_Forti; June 5th, 2010 at 01:43. Reason: List revised as per feedback
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

a better STD for the COKs is the std of slaughter. D3 SCR is better than -1 armor that hardly matters when you are S6 on the charge and they already get -3 to it... I also would skip the champ in that unit, as +1 attack isn't worth the points. The music probably isn't worth it either, but at least its cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

I dont have my book handy but I thought they were S5 on the charge ?

The logic with the champ is that he can accept challenges from anything nasty. If he takes 3 wounds and dies, the opponent still gets 3 CR but atleast I only lose 1 Knight instead of 3. You might have a point though, i'll look into it & re-visit my banner choice

Cheers
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

CoKs and the guys riding Chariots, unlike most of the other elves, are s4 base (as are assassins, nobles, and executioners). So with a lance they are S6, and the chariots are S5 (spears only get +1 on charge)

As for challenges, you shouldn't be running elf units without heroes directly into a hero. Fighting fair is for Brettonia. CoKs don't get enough attacks, even with hatred to really charge things from the front, unless they are a small unit, a war machine, or some other support unit that is low on attack Strength and SCR. If you want a challenge monkey, a master (or occasionally dreadlord) with pendant of khalaeth is a better option. Personally I see taking champs in most units (esp ones that don't win with SCR) as being as bad a bet as buying insurance in blackjack. Instead of champion and expensive unit upgrades, I just take more units. (my units of CoKs cost 135, and do nearly as well as a 200+ point unit...)

On that note, I don't see the point on full command on corsairs other than costing quite a bit. I would run them 7x2, with just the banner and magic std. It saves 25 points that can be spent elsewhere.

I just noticed that you payed for shields on dark riders. You do know they lose fast cav status when they have those, right? That takes away most of their current usefulness, as medium cav in this edition aren't good at all. also in one of your lists they don't have rxbs. They tend to not hold up very well in combat, even when they flank from what i've found.

I personally don't like shields on RxBs, The +1 save usually does nothing against enemy shooting, as serious shooting is AP, S4, both S4 and AP, or such high volume a 5+ isn't going to save them. They won't hold up in combat, with no real combat power and no SCR behind them. So shields effectively just make losing them more expensive.

On the first list, I would go with full mundane armor, give him pendant of khaeleth and a GW. You can choose between a 1+ save (HW, shield, HA, SDC) or a 4+ and strike with a GW. On top of that you get one of the best ward saves in the game. He is very survivable, more so than the AoD version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

CoKs and the guys riding Chariots, unlike most of the other elves, are s4 base (as are assassins, nobles, and executioners). So with a lance they are S6, and the chariots are S5 (spears only get +1 on charge)
    True. I was thinking of previous edition S3.. *shudders*

As for challenges, you shouldn't be running elf units without heroes directly into a hero. Fighting fair is for Brettonia. CoKs don't get enough attacks, even with hatred to really charge things from the front, unless they are a small unit, a war machine, or some other support unit that is low on attack Strength and SCR. If you want a challenge monkey, a master (or occasionally dreadlord) with pendant of khalaeth is a better option. Personally I see taking champs in most units (esp ones that don't win with SCR) as being as bad a bet as buying insurance in blackjack. Instead of champion and expensive unit upgrades, I just take more units. (my units of CoKs cost 135, and do nearly as well as a 200+ point unit...)
    I think you are right here. In fact I used to preach the same things here in the past

On that note, I don't see the point on full command on corsairs other than costing quite a bit. I would run them 7x2, with just the banner and magic std. It saves 25 points that can be spent elsewhere.
    Saves 15 points I think, but yeah. I think I will keep the Reaver in the assassin list however..

I just noticed that you payed for shields on dark riders. You do know they lose fast cav status when they have those, right? That takes away most of their current usefulness, as medium cav in this edition aren't good at all. also in one of your lists they don't have rxbs. They tend to not hold up very well in combat, even when they flank from what i've found.
    Oooh good pick up, I forgot about losing fast cav rules -_-

I personally don't like shields on RxBs, The +1 save usually does nothing against enemy shooting, as serious shooting is AP, S4, both S4 and AP, or such high volume a 5+ isn't going to save them. They won't hold up in combat, with no real combat power and no SCR behind them. So shields effectively just make losing them more expensive.
    There's plenty of non serious S3 shooting around which a 5+ save is handy against. But you probably have a point here.

On the first list, I would go with full mundane armor, give him pendant of khaeleth and a GW. You can choose between a 1+ save (HW, shield, HA, SDC) or a 4+ and strike with a GW. On top of that you get one of the best ward saves in the game. He is very survivable, more so than the AoD version.
    Not much point having a survivable elf character if he's only hitting at S4 with a hand weapon. & I've never been a fan of GW's on high initiative elves, you really dont want them striking last. Perhaps a Halberd is a happy medium? S5 is decent.
    Mundane armour + Pendant sounds plausable.

Good to see there has been some other knowledgable Druchii around here in my absence

Thanks for the feedback. + rep
    Manu
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; June 4th, 2010 at 12:39.
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Well currently with chargers always going first, there is no down side to having a GW unless your opponent has ASF, or its the second round of combat. So I go with GW, since it wounds most things on 2s. The halberd will be a better option next edition if the rumors are true about all combats being done at Int. order every round. With the pendant I've found that you usually take on anything, esp if its high strength. Low strength R&F actually have a good chance of doing wounds if you use the GW, so using HW shield against these units is sometimes a good option since the pendant doesn't work as well on low S. S4 is enough to kill the typical 4+/5+ human stated guys, so use HW+S against them. GW is for challenges, elite high S units, and monster slaying.

I was saving 25 points on corsiars by only running 14 and dropping the 2 command options. 7x2 is fine, but you don't want that extra guy there in case you get flanked (potentially more attacks coming in if you have a single extra guy there).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Ah, I was forgetting that he can take both a HW & GW and choose between them, depending on the situation.

lists edited. I've kept a few things which you said to drop because there was simply nothing else to spend the points on (without buying more figures!)

Cheers
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread