<2000 2000 Points Friendly list....Nooby resurection for 8th - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Points Friendly list....Nooby resurection for 8th

I've not played Dark elves for at least two years, most of which I've spent playing empire. During this time to be honest I've totally forgot what I loved about dark elves so though I'd see how we handle 8th edition.

Supreme sorceress 295 [295] total:- 1785
    Level 4
    Pendant of Khaeleth
    ==============================================
    Sorceress 150 [270]
    Level 2
    sac dagger

Master 120
    Soulrender
    Armor of darkness

=============================================
    repeater xbow x 20 235 [685]
    musician
    Shields

warriors w/spears 225
    command

Corsairs x 20 225
    command
    Black Guardx 15 290 [290]
    Command
    Banner of Hag Gref
    Ring of Hotek
    repeater bolt thrower x 1

War Hydra 175

Well I made the list at stupid oclock last night so I've been picking out lots of mistakes out of it while posting... if I missed one or two I'm sorry hehe.... Anyway for the army...
    I've gone for balance with A fair bit of casting power/range and a bit of Close combat power to hold up units until hydra can hit the flanks.... I really want to put a cauldron of blood into the army with the remaining 200 points.... But fear that I dont have enough units on the field. Would love some input from some more experienced players.

Thank you in advance =]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

With the potency of magic in 8th, and random number of dispel dice, you probably always want to take Crystal of Midnight or a Dispel Scroll.. just to stop that game-breaker spell.

I dont think you really gain much by taking the level 2. Random 2D6 Powerdice means you may not have enough to share without gimping your level 4, unless you plan on using the dagger a lot, or power of darkness to top up power dice.
    Also you get +4 to cast and dispel for the leve 4, so the level 2 isn't needed in that regard either.
    Do forget you must also specify in your list which magic LORE they will be using. No more choosing on the day.

Apart from that the list looks OK. I think the Corsair set up is neither here nor there, they're a bit expensive for a large unit (and 20 isn't a 'large' unit anymore, theyll still be outnumbered by units of 30+ goblins/spearmen etc, which will be common). So it may still be better to stick to a unit of around 14 with minimal command, and spend the points on more spearmen or black guard. Or even a Pegasus for the level 4.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Hi,

Why bother with the 'Banner of Hag Gref' for your black guard. They hit in initiative order now which is almost always first anyway, and they already reroll all failed rolls to hit due to warrior elite right? So unless you plan on fighting a lot of HE lists, why spend the points on the banner?

Some harpies or Dark Riders would help to kill the stone throwers that are likely to be showing up in droves this edition.

Cheers!
    -Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worked on list a little. 8th is tkaing alot of mental adapting o.O. Probally best to mention i usually play friendly games against either Vc's or WoC

Supreme sorc 320
    Level 4
    Pendant of Khaeleth
    Dispel scroll
    [Lore of metal] <= too much empire playing has fried my brain =D

Master 120
    Soulrender
    Armor of darkness

Death hag 200
    Cauldron of blood

repeater xbow x 20 235
    musician
    Shields

spear x 30 225
    command

Corsairs x 15 175
    command
    Black Guardx 20 355
    Command
    Banner of Hag Gref
    Ring of Hotek
    <<Main reason for the banner is to actully allow the unit to hit in I order, as I tend to face alot of corpse carts and other asf buff type things.>>
    repeater bolt thrower x 2
    <<really only added a second one as had exactly 100 points to spare, and they do seem to work best in pairs>>
    War Hydra
    Total:- 2000

I only really left out harpies/riders due to facing armies with very little in the form of range, If I was likely to face an artillary arm i'd probally drop the second Bolt thrower for some fast moving hunters.

Edit: Realised missed shields on warriors =/ so either the banner goes, or the Reaver from the corsairs and shields from rxb go i guess.
    Last edited by luko811; July 14th, 2010 at 01:28. Reason: A few missed spelling mistakes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Elves can only use lore of fire, metal, shadow or death.

This list does not really capitalize on DE mobility. I would think that if you are used to facing enemies with little or no range, you might want to use 5 or 10 dark riders just to move around and harass/disrupt things. They all have repeater crossbows and will be able to get in range faster/better than bowmen At 110 points for 5 it is worth it.....especially with new vanguard rules. I would consider (at least) dropping 10 of your xbows for some dark riders. Either that or use 2 groups of 10 crosbows....20 does not seem like an efficient formation at all...lots of guys will be doing nothing or your line will be too long for all models to be in range + LOS of intended targets.

Corsairs seem like another "weak link" in your list. Hand-bows with new quick to fire rule makes them tempting. They do well at mincing light armored troops, but anything with decent toughness and armor will beat them down pretty quick....besides...by only taking 15 they will only be good for getting the odd flank charge.

I would also be looking to put 5 cok in this list just to have some st6 attacks. If you're looking to drop something....i'd be tempted to lose the master....unit of cok comes out to about 135 and will do more in terms of point value than the master with soul render... if you are committed to using him though "crimson death is 10 pts more and infinitely better".
    Last edited by kpooh; July 14th, 2010 at 01:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... The points for the corsairs have to near enough be kept in core or I'll drop below the 500pt core minimum, so i guess my options would either be to drop the second bolt thrower to add more bodies to the corsair block. Invest the points on another 30 man spear line and have around 50 points to fiddle around with.
    Thanks for the help by the way people, really showing how rusty I am. =/ =P

Edit:- Not ignoring the dark rider suggestion by the way, just that was much easier resolved.
    Last edited by luko811; July 14th, 2010 at 02:11.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we're all a little disorientated right now.....just remember, with Vanguard special rule and elven steeds.....Dark Riders can get 30" movement on turn 1 and only suffer -1 penalty to shoot. If you deploy 2x5 DR you can have 20 shots hitting on a 5+, potentially striking 42" away from where they deployed. And they are better then any skirmish unit because they get ranks along with free unlimited reform.
    Last edited by kpooh; July 15th, 2010 at 05:30.

+ Reply to Thread