<2000 New to DE, 2500pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

New to DE, 2500pts

Hello all. Starting a new army for 8th ed. and choice has fallen on DE's, but not entirely sure what direction to go with, so any feedback for list would be appreciated

Lord:
    Supreme sorceress, 350pts
    Lvl 4
    Sac. Dagger
    PoK
    Lifetaker

Heroes:

Lvl 2 sorceress, 180pts
    Tome of furion
    Seal of Ghrond

Death Hag, 250pts
    BSB
    Cauldron
    Rune of Khaine

Core:
    20 corsairs, handbows, musician. 205 pts

30 spearmen, FC, warbanner, shields, 250pts

20 X-bow men, musician, shields, 235

Special:

20 BG's, full command, towermaster has crimson death, Banner of Murder, 345 pts

Rare:

War hydra
    War hydra

Reaper bolt thrower

Grand total of 2500pts

Idea is for either the bg or the spearmen to hold the center, with the other unit on one flank and 2 hydras on the other (depending on terrain and setup) and the crossbows and magic giving support while the corsairs merrily screen the army, shooting at the enemy and reforming as needed.

Now, I've got several things I'm not entirely sure about. Should I reduce the x-bow men to units of 2x10 instead and get in some dark riders or shades instead to harass enemy warmachines? How about an assassin? What lore for the mages. Was thinking either shadow or death for the level 4 and then dark lore for the level 2 (easy to cast). And last but not least, will this actually work?

Edit: Warriors got shields

Last edited by Zarb; July 18th, 2010 at 10:57.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Hey, welcome to Dark Elves.

Lord:
    Supreme sorceress, 350pts
    Lvl 4
    Sac. Dagger
    PoK
    Lifetaker
    If going with Death magic it might be worth mounting her on a Pegasus, to counter the limited spell range.
    Otherwise I'd drop the Sac Dagger for focus familiar, there's an extra 6" range.

Heroes:
    Lvl 2 sorceress, 180pts
    Tome of furion
    Seal of Ghrond
    Ok. Good item choices.

Death Hag, 250pts
    BSB
    Cauldron
    Rune of Khaine
    I'm not experienced with Cauldrons so I'll let the others step in here. One thing to check though, can a single death hag take both a cauldron AND battle standard?

Core:
    20 corsairs, handbows, musician. 205 pts
    This unit is larger than it needs to be for their purpose. A unit of 12 or 14 in two ranks would be fine.
    You basically want to walk up to a unit, shoot it, then choose to stand and shoot when they charge. Then most likely striking first with elven initiative.. not bad in theory huh? I think it would work well with an Assassin with Rending Stars, if you decide to take one. I plan to test that out myself.

30 spearmen, FC, warbanner, shields, 250pts
    Love it

This set up is fine but 2 of them might be excessive. You'll also be pleased to know its only 225 points, not 235.

Special:
    20 BG's, full command, towermaster has crimson death, Banner of Murder, 345 pts
    A good unit but maybe tweek the numbers, and the command/gear set up. Maybe 18 in 6x3 ? This way you save some points and get more attacks.. and theyre still just as hard to break.

Rare:
    War hydra
    War hydra
    Reaper bolt thrower
    Looks fine. If you end up dropping the 2nd unit of crossbowmen I'd suggest taking a 2nd bolt thrower, and using the other 135 points for whatever.

Idea is for either the bg or the spearmen to hold the center, with the other unit on one flank and 2 hydras on the other (depending on terrain and setup) and the crossbows and magic giving support while the corsairs merrily screen the army, shooting at the enemy and reforming as needed.
    Ok, but I wouldnt put both Hydras on the same flank. Spread the terror tests around to get as many as possible !

Now, I've got several things I'm not entirely sure about. Should I reduce the x-bow men to units of 2x10 instead and get in some dark riders or shades instead to harass enemy warmachines?
    Units of 20 crossbows are fine in 8th edition, now that they can fire in two ranks of 10, then reform into 5x4 before being attacked, forming a reasonable fighting block if given shields. Units of 10 are fine but easy pickings.. best kept to smaller games now I think.
    So yeah 20 per unit is good, but as I said, maybe just 1 such unit. As for war machine hunting, I guess in 2.5k you should be able to find a measly 60-70 points for some Harpies.

How about an assassin? What lore for the mages. Was thinking either shadow or death for the level 4 and then dark lore for the level 2 (easy to cast). And last but not least, will this actually work?
    As I said before if you go with an assassin, try rending stars, manbane & 2nd hand weapon and put him in the corsairs.
    Magic lores, definately Death if you take a Pegasus for the level 4. If not, maybe shadow.
    Dark is ok for the level 2, or Fire is a pretty safe choice if you're just after some nice magic missiles.

Cheers
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; July 18th, 2010 at 14:43.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

The hag can have both, a pretty common setup

The main reason I'm hesitant to put the sorceress on a dark peggie is the TLOS rule. Sure, she won't die to a cannon or boltthrower, but massed str 3-4 fire will bring her down pretty easily and there's not that much impassasable terrain for her to hide behind, at least not often. In 7th, I wouldn't have hesitated, so I figured I'd chuck her into a unit with a sac dagger. Good call on the corsairs, but I dunno if bringing down the number of BG's is a good idea in these missilefire/warmachine times. Of course, a 5+ ward save from the cauldron will help a bit. Gonna fiddle around with the list a bit more, cheers for the input Manu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Ok, so that didn't go according to plan, got soundly trounced by HE's. That being said, it was my first game with DE's and I made some stupid mistakes, failed 4 out of 5 regen saves on a hydra and failed to dispel a 17+ roll to dispel with 5 dices, which cost me the second hydra. I think I'll be dropping the corsairs as they didn't really do anything useful apart from dying and get in the way of the BG (ok, so that's my fault, not theirs) Lore of shadow is downright nasty with their debuff spells, as you can pretty much keep an enemy unit from charging you (-d3 to str or t......or both!, and miasma is very easy to cast, even on the large version). I really need some hard hitting units to mop up survivors, so I think I'll find space for some CoK's and harpies. Lore of metal on the level 2 was "ok", but gonna try out dark lore today I think, for some easy to cast damage spells (pit of shades and pendulum is kinda wasted on HE's)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

You will like having Dark Riders with RxBows. Harpies are useful for hiting war machines or getting in your opponents way for a turn or two.

CoB - does not seem suitable for your troop choices IMHO.

I'm surprised your RxBows didn't tear up the T3 and lightly armored HE's. Don't forget your Hatred against them in all rounds of combat.
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I did remember hatred. Hhitting on 5+ most of the time and then wounding on 4+ will hardly tear up anything in shooting, esp. considering he mostly fields white lions and phoenix guards CoB is there to give a wardsave where it's needed. Empire player got 6 warmachines (including 2 helstorms and 2 mortars), so I want to be able to protect a unit, orcs and goblins can field and obscene amount of warmachines as well. I played against orcs today and had removed the corsairs, put in 7 shades with a/hw and 7 harpies. Shades got munched by a wyvern, but they removed 4 wounds from it, pretty much neutering it. Harpies got hit by a doomdiver, but still managed to kill a warmachine before being run over by a chariot. I'd love some dark riders as well, but not sure what to get rid of to fit them in. I'm loving my 2x20 repeaters, so they'll probably stay in

+ Reply to Thread