<2000 My first 8th armylist 2000 points help plz - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first 8th armylist 2000 points help plz

Hello everybody,
    This is my first time threads so be gently if I do it wrongJ
    My armylist looks like this:
    · Lvl 4 sorceress with pendant of Khaleth
    · Master with 1+ armoursave, bsb
    · Death hag with cauldron on blood
    · 30 spearman with full command and shields
    · 29 corsairs with full command and the seas serpent banner
    · 5 shades met with additional hand weapon
    · 5 shades met with additional hand weapon
    · 10 cold one knights with full command
    · 1 hydra
    · 1 hydra
    The sorceress will go in the unite spearman and I think she will be having lore of Shadow
    The master will go in the unite of corsairs

The death hag + the cauldron will go walking at the back of the army

The shades ere there for the war machine hunt.

If I am not mistaken this is a total of 2020 points. But i have no idea where to strip the last few points.

Please give me some tips regarding my armylist? I have almost all the units from the Dark Elves range so changing won’t be a problem.

I mostly play against Skaven, Warriors of Chaos and empire so maybe could I get some tactical feedback from that as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Hey mate,

The list looks pretty good, solid enough.

I would recommend maybe cutting down the unit of Knights to 7, deployed in a single file, with full command and the Ranger Standard. Means you can hug cover with the Knights and then go crashing through it with no worry about Dangerous Terrain tests. I'd also have at least 2 Reaper Bolt Throwers in the list, but I guess thats maybe just personal preferance, as I never leave home without them.

I'd maybe make the Hag a BSB instead of the Master, as you can then tool the Master up for combat: Heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, shield, maybe the Ring of Darkness if the Corsairs are going to be your main fighting unit. Would be useful against Empire and Skaven armies to protect them from their shooting and Warriors of Chaos in combat.
    Aside from those points I've mentioned the list seems like its fine enough. Out of interest, how are you running the Corsairs and Spearmen? Horde or Ranked? Also, whats the full list of magic items your characters are equipped with?

As for tactical feedback, you may struggle against Warriors of Chaos with this list, as it is a combat-orientated list and they can weather your attacks. You'd want to get your Hydras and Knights into flanking positions and hit them hard from the sides. The Shades would be best used to take out any screens of Hounds they may or may not have, or to take potshots at Knights, you could get lucky. I highly recommend the Lore of Metal instead of Shadows against them, mainly because it gives you better odds.

Against Empire, your best option is to close with them as fast as possible, using Shadow Magic to weaken them and bolster your own troups. Use the Shades to take out War Machines, Wizards, Fast Cavalry and harrass lightly armoured troops. Use the Hydras to take on Cavalry and the Knights to flank the enemies. If you come up against a Steam Tank, don't develop "rabbit-in-headlights" syndrome. Avoid it, focus on the softer and squishier stuff, then once you've routed his army, hit it with everything you've got. Or, if you have Pit of Shades, hit it with that.

Facing Skaven your main worries will be Screaming Bells and Plague Furnaces. Hit them with Pit of Shades. Or alternatively, take Death Magic and hit them with Spirit Leech. The warmachine has no Leadership so just rolls a dice. You roll a dice and add 9, meaning if he rolls on average a 4, you'll score 7 wounds on it (It doesn't use the Rider's Ld, as the rules specifically state the models own Ld). Hellpit Abominations won't hold much of a threat to you with 2 Hydras, but the Skaven hordes will, as they will simply grind you down in a game of attrition, or look to break you with static CR. Because of this, you need to hit them with a second unit, never fight them one-on-one. You're a Dark Elf player, therefore, do not fight fairly. Pick a unit, and hit it to the front and flank, or front and rear of you can. Whittling down their numbers beforehand can help here, and where your Shades come in. Use them against Skaven to harrass their slow moving infantry blocks and take out Warp Lightning Cannons, Jezzails and Weapon Teams.

All in all, it looks a good list, and hope I've helped a bit. My suggestions are just my opinion and preferences based on my own army, so no worries if you don't agree with it.
    Good Luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hej,

First of all i would like to thank you with your extended comment and tactical review.
    Futher to answer your questions:
    - The hag is babysitting the cauldren so maybe i find some trouble there but thius could be a nice change of tactics.
    - I run the spearman in a 5x6 formation because i think they are there to survive in combat and don't have much hitting power. The corsair are 6x5 because they have a lot of attacks and are acompanied by the master.
    - The master has the Armour of Darkness and the Sorcerer lord will only be equipped with the pendant of Khaeleth. this is an bit of a struggle for me because if she gets hit, usually with a cannon, misfire etc. she will have almost no problemes to survive the encounter without any problems but if somehow she does make it in combat then all those s3 hits are going to be pretty for the Sorceress.

Last week I had 2 battles, against skaven and Empire. the Empire player thad 1 steam tank and some warmachines but nothing really special. I was surprised over the spearman, they won the combat twice against 2 units of swordsman. The steamtank was destroys because of my lovely hydras ( those 2 little mosters eat more then 50 handgun shots and still managed to win the combat and survive until the end of the battle). The corsairs smashed the greatswords apart in a big orgy of bloody violence for khaine! the warrior priest who accopanied the great sword seached for a easy kill and challend my master to a duel in which our lovely empire lover's head was cut off my good dark elf steel. all met all a solid victory in my favour.

The skaven battle was a lot differend. there were some minor sadbacks ( jazzails killen 7 knights in one turn!) but my corsair and spearman managed to stand there groudn thanx to the cauldren and some rolls ( they almost took twice there number down in skaven cacualties before they were charged by 35 stormvermin + screaming bell and 40 plague monks + the plague furnace. I did kill the plague priest so at least that was a good thing. sadly no victory but I learned a few good lessons.

Dark Elf spearman are actually pretty good for their points, so I am thinks of adding another block and replace the corsairs. With the extra points and the loss of 3 cold one knights I will try to field a assassin, I so love this guy what do you think about the assassin and the extra block of spearman? shoudl i run them different or just leave it at that?

Again many thanx for your replay

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Spearmen are fantastic for their points value. Glad to hear 5x6 formation, as good as they are, they don't work well in Horde formation. I have units of 35 running 5 wide, 7 deep ("Slave Train" formation). It's the best way to run them as they keep their rank bonus for ages. Corsairs are good, I tend to use them as a supporting unit or in a "Corsair Army", although there are better things in the army.

Assassin are fantastic. However, you can find yourself relying on them too much. What I tend to do is run a list with an Assassin or two (or three, four or even 5) for a bit, then run a list with no Assassins. Then, when I go back to using Assassins, I don't end up relying on them as I remember I have other decent things in the list. They're best used for supporting a unit, either by adding extra kills for extra CR or dealing with enemy units your other units will struggle with. One of my Assassins bagged a High Elf Star Dragon yesterday (Rending Stars/Manbane = S7 against T6 opponents). Another unit of Spearmen is a sound choice, however at 2000 points you may find it makes your army a tad more defensive than you'd maybe like. I'd consider either keeping the Corsairs or cutting them down a bit to make room for the Assassin (151pts is the most you need to spend on an Assassin). I'd recommend either:

Two Hand Weapons, Rune of Khaine, Touch of Death
    OR
    Two Hand Weapons, Manbane, Rending Stars (put this on in a unit of Shades).

The second unit of Spearmen would maybe be a good investment for building to a 2500 list, but again, it's your call. If you do run them, then run them the exact same way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As for your games, well done on the Empire. The Skaven, unlucky. Jezzails will do that (if their guns work). Corsairs and Spearman will easily chew through Skaven units, sadly, they have the bodies to lose and we don't. Stormvermin are a pain in the ass. Stormvermin are best to be whittled down with a combination of magic and shooting, then mopped up. Plague Monks are a unit that can be torn apart by units like Corsairs, Knights, Witch Elves and Black Guard, but if they have a Furnace with them then you're gonna have problems. Screaming Bells and Plague Furnaces are always going to cause problems for Dark Elves, as we have not a lot of things that can destroy them. Magic is probably the best way of destroying them, making them take Characteristic tests (which they fail automatically).

So sounds like you did well, proof that you're list is pretty much fine, and was only in need of minor tweaking, if any (no armylist is ever perfect, and people will always find something that they disagree with).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whahah great job about that high elf stardragon!!!

I agree with you about your statement about the addition of an another uinit of spear, will be te defensive, ik like the aggressive nature of the Dark Elves so much so would be a shame to lose that

I think I will leave this list like this, thanks to your comnment it preforfs really well , still suffers against skaven but hej, who doesn't...?

The assassin will be my first addition for my 2500 points armylist and the spearman of course

Good luck with your victory over all the lesser races and let the sacrefical fires to the almighty Khaine burn eternally on the bones of the innorcent!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Thanks haha.

Glad to know my inane ramblings have been of some use.

Hahaha, that makes me want to break out the Temple of Khaine list again......horde unit of 50 Witch Elves anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whahha,

You are really a man of great ideas

You are a wealthy addition to the scions of the God of Murder.
    A unit of our most treasured female devotees who ( with passion, hate, rage, cold blood instincs and devotion) will kill all who stand before them.

Of course if you want to play even better then include the very stephmother of our beloved kind and incluede the one and truly master of the witch elves Crone Hellebron!

9 strenght 10 hits anyone? Beat that stupid Plaguefurnace, Screaming Bell, Hellpitabomination and Doomwheel!!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

This is a setup I use quite often.

Crone Hellebron
    Death Hag BSB with Dance of Doom, Cry of War, Hydra Banner.
    49 Witch Elves with Full Command, Rune of Khaine and one of the following: Banner of Murder, Lichebone Pennant, Standard of Swiftness
    And maybe an Assassin with 2HW, Rune of Khaine, Touch of Death. Or two....or three....or five......

Thanks for the compliment, I do my best.

+ Reply to Thread