<1000 Need a 750 Point list to Learn the game with - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Need a 750 Point list to Learn the game with

Here's the models I have

HQ options:
    Cauldron of blood (with Hag and 2 witch elves)
    2 on foot sorceress
    1 mounted steed sorceress
    1 mounted dreadlord (cold one)

Calvary Options:
    5 Cold one knights
    10 Dark Riders

Troops:
    62 Warriors (19 are unassembled, could make more crossbowmen if you felt more important, etc)
    20 Black Guard
    11 Corsairs
    10 Crossbowmen (was told to get 10 more??? They worth it?)
    1 Assassin
    10 Executioners

Rare:
    Hyrda

From these models I need help building a LEARNER list. Not something competitive, I need something that I'll be using ALL the time (like the warriors likely in squads of 30 i'm told). I also need all upgrades and such so I can enter it into army builder. I don't want too many different model types, but enough to learn the different phases. I'm guessing a Sorceress would be nice so I can do magic, calvary (dark riders) to learn speed/flanking, warriors because I need troops and whatever else. I would like to know common sorceress builds (what spells, etc).

Any input would be great, build me a 750 list! I don't know ANYTHING about these guys yet, just got the models recently, and learning. My codex and rule book are in the mail, should be here in a few days. I'd even like a 1000 point list as I'll likely stay at that lvl for a while learning the game after the mechanics are down.

Think of this list as being the CORE list that I would continue to use on up to 2000 points.

Last edited by Dark Trainer; July 20th, 2011 at 22:59.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

46 views and no one would piece together a 750 point list from what I have? Been reading 2 squads of 5 Dark Riders with Xbows would be nice, Sorceress on foot (what, buried in a warrior squad?), etc...any builds would be nice. Basically, what would YOU build kinda thing, why, and tactics.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I'd run this at 750 points.

Heroes
    Sorceress, level 2 Tome of Furion (lore of fire)

Core
    30 Warriors with shields and full command, banner of murder

Special
    5 CoK

Rare
    War Hydra

710 points

The Sorceress and Warriors form an anvil that can be used to anchor your batteline whilst your Knights and Hydra each take a flank.

Your sorceress can deploy in our out of the warrior unit, throwing fire at enemy units and taking out threats with her damage spells. A very basic hammer/anvil build but good for your first game. You can also get rid of a few warriors to run a unit of crossbowmen for your sorceress, but the less warriors you take, the less resilence you'll have.
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Thanks for the first suggestion. I'm nervous about taking the Hydra at 750, concerned it might be kind of tough to kill at that points level.

So I was toying around with ideas, and what about something like this? Bear in mind, I don't know the rules yet (dang slow mail), or tactics to employ...waiting on my first game still.

150 - Sorceress (2nd level and tome of furion)
    257 -30 Warriors (Lordling, Musician, Shield, Banner of murder) Is Lordling what you meant by full command? Going by army builder right now.
    110 - 5 Dark Riders (Repeater Xbows) Sounds like no one uses shields on these guys, guessing losing 'fast calvary' is a big deal
    110 - 5 Dark Riders (Repeater Xbows)
    110 - 10 Repeater Xbowmen (Shields)

737 points

Some tactics questions, about the sorceress do I need to HIDE her inside the 30 man warriors squad so she's not sniped off? If I do that, can she still use magic? That said, would I need to dumb it down to 29 warriors so she fits?

Thoughts? COK's sounded interesting, but I keep being told different things about COK's...most bad?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

People say bad things about CoK because they used to be better. They're still a valuable unit in a Dark Elf army thanks to their ability to strike at str and initiative 6. They're much better in larger games as they can get the Strider rule from the Ranger Standard, meaning that a unit of knights can charge through a forest and into a flank without any problems.

Sorry, I should have specified about full command, by that I mean that I take all the command model options (lordling, musician and standard in this case).

I think just 1 unit of Riders would be fine in the current list, I'd take 10 excecutioners with a standard and Draich-Master instead, I can understand about the Hydra though, just be aware that they are a necessity for Dark Elves so learning how to use them early is very important.

I'd put the sorceress in the crossbowmen and run them with one rank of 6 and one of 5. She can still use magic wherever she is, but must be out of combat to cast certain spells. For a beginning lore I would stick with fire, it's basic and teaches you most of what you need to know about that phase of the game.

May Khaine smile upon you (although on second thoughts that's probably not such a good thing...).
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

CoK are ok. certainly worth there points in small units in small games as if nothing else, they prove an invaluable distraction for your opponent who will often fear the high WS/S/I and speed, not to mention the fact they have a great armour save for elves.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

So a buddy of mine helped out, and I had a question too. Can Repeater Crossbowmen on foot move and shoot? Or is it move OR shoot? Here's the list we built

Sorceress (Level 2, Talisman of preservation, Lore of Shadow)
    20 Warriors (Shields, Full command, banner of murder)
    10 Repeater Crossbowmen (Shields)
    10 Repeater Crossbowmen (Shields)
    5 Cold One Knights (Musician, Standard Bearer)

Thoughts? This list was chosen because he believed the Crossbowmen could 'move and shoot'. After looking at repeater 'handbows' and repeater'crossbows', I'm thinking he was wrong???
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; July 25th, 2011 at 19:48.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

All weapons are move and fire unless stated otherwise, hence you can move and shoot with repeater crossbows.

How about 1 big unit of 20 crossbowmen, that way you can also use them as a melee unit and a bunker for your sorceress (I use a similar formation in my lists) I would also drop the talisman and get Amulet of Endurance and a Tome of Furion (the more spells the better with shadow) since if she's in a unit she can cope with the lower save.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Karrain View Post
    All weapons are move and fire unless stated otherwise, hence you can move and shoot with repeater crossbows.

How about 1 big unit of 20 crossbowmen, that way you can also use them as a melee unit and a bunker for your sorceress (I use a similar formation in my lists) I would also drop the talisman and get Amulet of Endurance and a Tome of Furion (the more spells the better with shadow) since if she's in a unit she can cope with the lower save.
    Yeah Tome of furion looked cool, my buddy was big on the 50% chance to survive but she does have 2 wounds....I see more tome's than talisman's...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

In the case of most mages I'd agree that a 4+ ward save is worth it. However in the case of Dark Elves, defence must come second and agression first, attack is our best form of defence. In larger games you can also give her a shrieking blade so that she causes fear, making the crossbowmen suddenly a whole lot more dangerous.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast