2000 point Starter army. Noob - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 point Starter army. Noob

Hey all, this is my friends dark elves army list. 2000 points is a nice starting number and well yeah here it is and judge it leave comments for help: no matter how inexepierenced you are:

Heroes:

Sorceress lv.2magic, wand of kharaidon 170pts

Sorceress lv.2magic, darkstar cloak 150pts

Core:

30 Warriors w/rxbs , musician&standard 345pts

5 Darkriders w/rxbs, musician 127pts

Special:

20 Executioners w/full command 250pts

12 witch elves w/full command and witch brew 211pts

Rare:

Cauldron of Blood 205pts

2 Reaper Bolt throwers 200pts

Total 1996 points. Please just help. thanx

Im aiming for a fearsome infestation that will overrun the enemy and Knock him out psychologically. I think I'm almost there.

-me

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Hey all, this is my friends dark elves army list. 2000 points is a nice starting number and well yeah here it is and judge it leave comments for help: no matter how inexepierenced you are:
    This list is pretty hopeless.. ill explain in more detail below

Heroes:

Sorceress lv.2magic, wand of kharaidon 170pts

Sorceress lv.2magic, darkstar cloak 150pts
    Theres nothing wrong with the actual sorceresses, both good choices.
    I would reccomend putting one of them on a dark steed, then you can have the one of foot to hang back & be defensive with the crossbows, while the other is fast enough to get to where she is needed and deal some death..

the problem is that they are the ONLY heroes here.. there are NO nobles or highborns..
    in a 2000pt game you will almost always be facing against atleast one tough/strong close combat character..so what is he going to kill it with?..S3 warrior attacks? i doubt it..

Keep both sorceresses but add a noble

Core:

30 Warriors w/rxbs , musician&standard 345pts

The dark rider units are good.
    but the warriors are a massive problem.. 30 is WAY too many.. the most i ever take is 2 units of 10..
    the problem with this is that he can only shoot with the front row.. so he will always have atleast 15 warriros standing in the back row doing nothing.. thats atleast 165 points doing nothing every turn!.

At the very minimum, divide this into two units. or go even better and drop 10. then divide into 2 units of 10.

Special:

20 Executioners w/full command 250pts

The actual units are good but he has messed up the selection.
    Executioners arent meant to be full strength blocks of 20.. they arent designed for long sustained combat..which means all the numbers are wasted points.. they are meant to be small groups of hard hitters who use thier speed & S5 killing blow attacks to deliver a knockout blow before the enemy can hit back..
    15 is the MAXIMUM you should take of these.. but 2 rows of 6 is better, more attacks and less points. keep the full command.

The witch elf sqauds are in the right numbers.. 12 is good. but with 3 attacks each you dont really need to spend 12 points on the Hag just to get 1 more attack.. its a waste. Witchbrew is a waste too bcoz these should normally be charging in the flank. which means the enemy is fighting another of your units to the front too, so he wont be outnumbering once the witches join the fight anyway.
    Just a squad of 12 (2 rows of 6) with a standard bearer is fine in my opinion.

Rare:

Cauldron of Blood 205pts

2 Reaper Bolt throwers 200pts

Total 1996 points. Please just help. thanx
    Its widely agreed that the cauldron is pretty much a complete waste in terms of game play.. looks nice & all. but in games. no. dont take it.

The bolt throwers are great. keep them

the problem lies not only in his unit set ups but in the choices too.. for example..
    30 crossbows and 2 bolt throwers tells me hes trying to play defensive.. ie, stand back and shoot while the enemy advances...
    and then the fast, expensive, elite infanrty tell me his is going on the attack and trying to kick ass..

so..if he defends.. he is wasting his points on the elite offensive infantry.. and if he goes on the attack..he has wasted a tonne of points on so many crossbows which wont help in offense.

He needs to decide on one or the other, not both.. if he wants to go offensive, get rid of all the crossbows and take some Cold one knights and corsairs etc..
    if he wants to go defensive, get rid of the elite infantry, and take cheap & survivable infantry (spearmen!!).

have a think, then re-post the list with any changes.

peace
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; June 14th, 2006 at 13:34.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uh huh

See i thought there might be a problem with this army. I didnt know he screwed up his battle strategy though. Thanx i would of never been able to catch that. I dont play elves but i briefly played wood elves but only forest spirits. I play nurgle now and the two armies Nurgle and dark elves are completly different so i cant advise him or anything. But yeah He was talking more about offensive. So here are my suggestions to his list and you can approve of them for me if you will:

1. Add a block of 16 or 20 spearmen.

2. Take your advice and go down to 2-3 units of 10 crossbownmen.

3. take your advice again and get rid of cauldron of blood.

4. Add a hydra with its apprentices.

5. Add some corsairs maybe

6. Maybe some harpies. 5-8

7.Get rid of the bolt throwers for another hydra.

8. Get in a beastmaster (it only costs a few points i know. i looked in the dark elf book today) it could be close to the hydras to help if the apprentices die.

9. Add a Noble and take out one sorceress

10. And that might help a little. I dunno you tell me.

I post again some time today with his idea on the changes.

-chris
    Im aiming for a fearsome infestation that will overrun the enemy and Knock him out psychologically. I think I'm almost there.

-me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptkeeper
    See i thought there might be a problem with this army. I didnt know he screwed up his battle strategy though. Thanx i would of never been able to catch that. I dont play elves but i briefly played wood elves but only forest spirits. I play nurgle now and the two armies Nurgle and dark elves are completly different so i cant advise him or anything. But yeah He was talking more about offensive. So here are my suggestions to his list and you can approve of them for me if you will:

1. Add a block of 16 or 20 spearmen.

2. Take your advice and go down to 2-3 units of 10 crossbownmen.

3. take your advice again and get rid of cauldron of blood.

4. Add a hydra with its apprentices.

5. Add some corsairs maybe

6. Maybe some harpies. 5-8

7.Get rid of the bolt throwers for another hydra.

8. Get in a beastmaster (it only costs a few points i know. i looked in the dark elf book today) it could be close to the hydras to help if the apprentices die.

9. Add a Noble and take out one sorceress

10. And that might help a little. I dunno you tell me.

I post again some time today with his idea on the changes.

-chris
    Yeah if he wants offensive drop all but 10 of the crossbows.

Keep the Bolt throwers, they are good back up for an offensive army. crossbows arent bcoz they dont have the 48" range lol

Most people only take beast maseter if they are going on a manticore, but i wouldnt reccomend it for this particular army.

I dont have much time right now so just take a look at my 2000 point list in this section and you'll get a rough idea of what he should be aiming for.

Ill help out more later.
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revised List

Heroes:
    Sorceress-LV.2,Darkstar Cloak,Talisman of Protection-General 165pts
    Noblelven Steed,Armour of Darkness,Sword of Might 131pts
    Beastmasteregasus,Light Armour,Sea Dragon Cloak,Heartseeker 128pts

Cores:
    x16 Warriors-shields,Musician 133pts
    x5 Dark Riders-RXB's,Musician 127pts

Specials:
    x12 Witch Elves-Standard Bearer 168pts
    x12 Executioners-Standard Bearer 144pts
    x5 Cold One Knights-Musician 154pts

Rares:
    War Hydra 220pts
    x2 Reaper Bolt Throwers 200pts

Total:1998pts

If there is any more advise you can give my friend it would be greatly appreciated

-me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that listing is pretty solid. however, like DA mentioned the Beastmaster isnt worth it unless you can get him on a manticore. one of the biggest benefits of a Beastmaster is that when he dies his monster mount continues to attack without taking a monster reaction test. a pegasus isnt all too effective on its own. drop the Beastmaster and take a Sorc like the pre-revised list. the hydra is gonna be targeted all the time by missle/magic so expect it to get owned. use this forsight to smash things with the cavalry and sqeeze your casters into the fight.

the standard on the witch elves and not on the warriors is unusual, but as long as they compliment eachother it's all the same

id also recommend taking Dark Lore with one sorc and Death with another. that's my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Geisticon; June 15th, 2006 at 19:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Heroes:
    Sorceress-LV.2,Darkstar Cloak,Talisman of Protection-General 165pts
    Noblelven Steed,Armour of Darkness,Sword of Might 131pts
    Beastmasteregasus,Light Armour,Sea Dragon Cloak,Heartseeker 128pts
    As above, lose the beastmaster and put the second sorceress back
    & you have given the noble a single-handed weapon, so give him a shield too, 2 points for +1 armour is too good to miss.

Cores:
    Try to giv the warriors a standard

Specials:
    x12 Executioners-Standard Bearer 144pts
    Good. the executioners could use a champion if you have the points, the extra attack on the charge can really help, esspecially if there is a hero in the enemy unit. then you can allocate 3-4 attacks against him, instead of 2-3.

Rares:
    War Hydra 220pts
    Good. As above the hydra will get targeted but thats not all bad, it means the rest of your army doesnt have to take the hits.. so plan your movements around that fact. (but wait to see if they actually DO target it first).
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright more list improvements!

Heroes:
    Sorceress-LV.2,Darkstar Cloak-General 150pts

Sorceress-LV.1,dispel scroll,biting blade 125pts (deployed with witch elves unit)

(General)Noblelven Steed,Armour of Darkness,Sword of Might 131pts

Cores:
    x16 Warriors-shields,standard bearer,Musician 143pts

Specials:
    x11 Witch Elves-Standard Bearer 155pts

x12 Executioners-Standard Bearer,champion 156pts

Rares:
    War Hydra 220pts

Total:1999pts

The noble cannot improve its armour save because of the armour of darkness. It clearly states that the save cannot be improved in any way....:w00t:

-me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Heroes:
    Sorceress-LV.2,Darkstar Cloak-General 150pts
    Good, could use a dark steed for extra movement.. theres nothing like seeing the look on your opponents face when you move a mage 18" and cast black horror into a unit that he thought was fairly safe :shifty:
    the extra movement also makes her safer. since if she dies your opponent gets a stack of victorty points for killing your general.

Sorceress-LV.1,dispel scroll,biting blade 125pts (deployed with witch elves unit)
    never ever waste points on magic weapons for mages, they should never get into close combat, drop the biting blade and make her a level 2, and just keep her NEAR (within 5") the witch elves, but not IN them.

(General)Noblelven Steed,Armour of Darkness,Sword of Might 131pts
    ok an army only has 1 general. so which one is it?

the problem with this guy is that he is meant for close combat, but he is going to be joining a unit which isnt really meant to get into combat.. the dark riders should only ever flank charge.
    This noble would be better off on foot an joining the spearmen. in which case make the spreamen unit 19, plus the noble = 20.
    Then have the sorceress on the dark steed tag along with the dark riders. (once again, near them, not in them)

Also, the armour of darkness is only worth it if your character is on foot or carrying a two handed weapon.. or both.. bcoz then he doesnt get the armour bonuse for being mounted, and cant hold a shield.. thats when this item is handy.. but if he is mounted and using a single handed weapon like this guy.. then giving him a shield, heavy armour, and sea dragon cloak will give him the same 2+ save anyway, and afew points cheaper too.
    Not to mention that the sea dragon cloak makes it a 1+ save against shooting.

Cores:

all good.
    As i said above, if you put that noble in a spearmen squad, make them 19 strong.

Specials:
    x11 Witch Elves-Standard Bearer 155pts

x12 Executioners-Standard Bearer,champion 156pts

-Pump that witch elves unit back up to 12, since the sorceress shouldnt be there. the other witch elves unit & executioners are fine.

But the cold one knights need the standard bearer, they have good leadership so they dont really need a musician, but they have low numbers so they REALLY need that +1 combat resolution from the banner.. & If you find yourself with a spare 18 points, a dread knight is handy too. but only if its SPARE points, dont drop other stuff to make room.

Rares:
    War Hydra 220pts

Good.

The noble cannot improve its armour save because of the armour of darkness. It clearly states that the save cannot be improved in any way
    True. but as i said above. he can get a 2+ save for cheaper than armour of darkness anyway. If you decide to put him on foot, then give him a halberd or great weapon & armour of darkness.

The list is starting to look pretty good !
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread