2000 pt magic/defensive vs dwarves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

2000 pt magic/defensive vs dwarves

Ok, so the magicless offensive list doesnt seem too popular, guess i cant teach old dogs new tricks
    So anyway i thought id post the other dwarf specific list and see how they compare..
    I prefer the offensive list personally, bcoz it looks alot more fun and its not cheesey amounts of magic. But i dont mind this one either.

LORD:
    High sorceress, level 4 - 308
    -Dark steed
    -tome of furion
    -darkstar cloak

HEROES:
    Level 2 sorceress - 170
    Wand of Kharaidon

Level 2 sorceress - 175
    Power stone
    black staff
    (this item combo basically allows a level 2 to be as powerful as a level 4 for 1 turn).

Noble - 100 (i think).
    Blood armour
    Sea dragon cloak
    Great weapon
    (this is here to help bolster the spearmen in their defensive role, I cant lose the great weapon bcoz he really needs the extra punch to kill dwarves, but this leaves him with minimal armour, so i took a gamble on blood armour, if he can cause 2 wounds before the enemy fights back, then he'll have a 2+ save)

CORE:
    20 spearmen - 175
    shields
    musician
    standard bearer

15 corsairs - 160
    Standard bearer

10 warriors - 110
    crossbows

5 dark riders - 127
    crossbows
    musician

SPECIAL:
    Cold one chariot w/ spears -97
    Cold one chariot w/ spears -97

5 Cold one knights -181
    Standard bearer
    Dread knight

7 harpies- 91

RARE:
    2 reaper bolt throwers - 200

TOTAL = 2001
    PD- 11 (13 for 1 turn. + 1 power-level-4 bound spell each turn).
    DD- 10
    Models: 74 (including RBT & chariot crew) + 15 mounts + 2 war machines

Last edited by Manu_Forti; July 11th, 2006 at 04:53.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

You gotta be careful with the Sorceress on a Dark Steed. She could be singled out quite easily and hit by a bolt thrower if you don't watch your movement very closely.

Consider dropping a group of warriors and taking Harpies. They are good artillery hunters. That will give you a few points for the sorcerer magic items.

.......per other post. DE's can take Shadow Magic. Look at Unseen Lurker spell as it's a very handy movement spell. The only trouble with shadow magic is the level 1 spell that allows the mage to move. I prefer the magic missle myself and like being able to shut shooting down.
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

the bolt throwers will be too busy trying to blow up the chariots with S7. And the level 4 will 'hide' with the dark riders, which means she cant be targeted until the riders have taken casualties and put below 5. (& he normally doesnt see them as enough of a threat to bother).

Yes thats probably a good point about harpies. If he goes all out shooty too then ill be taking alot of seige weapon fire, and destroying 1 or 2 of them could mean taking up to ~10-15 less casualties.. as opposed to the crossbowmen killing 2-3 dwarfs for the whole game..
    I have the harpies, so ill drop 10 crossbows and put in 7 harpies. Then if i drop the dread knight ill have enough points for the wand of kharaidon.
    Good idea

thanks
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you cant use a great weapon with armor of darkness. it "includes a shield" great weaps take 2 hands to use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Ok good point. Edited.
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

In a few recent games I ran into trouble with my Corsairs being charged. What occurred was I lost most of the front line and they never got to fight back. On the other hand my Spearmen lost their front line and fought back. I've taken a new look at them. Spears 5 warriors wide will make 10 attacks like a 5 wide corsair unit. Execept, if the corsairs get charged the chances of them fighting back in the first round is greatly reduced compared to the spearelves.

I'm looking at this defensively as the corsairs will make more attacks as they charge. Since you are fighting Dwarves I doubt your Corsairs will get charged! lol

Just some food for thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Another thing, where is it written that Dwarves get to sit back and shoot while you cross the board?

Radical idea:
    3 X 10 units of warriors R Xbow, shield, lt armor, hand weapon 405 points
    4 X reaper bolt throwers....2 per Rare choice so you can get 4. I hear people grumbling cheese, but I never hear that when a Dwarf fields 6 war machines?!

With your magic and that much ranged weaponry you will force him to cross the board after you. Your warriors have decent saves with the Sword/Board rule in close combat, chariots and Cavalry for the flanks, dark riders and harpies to chase his artillery....huuummmm looking at the points you will need to drop the CoK's to get the extra Reapers, but you still have the Chariots.

It would definitely be a fun game to see how it turns out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus
    In a few recent games I ran into trouble with my Corsairs being charged. What occurred was I lost most of the front line and they never got to fight back. On the other hand my Spearmen lost their front line and fought back. I've taken a new look at them. Spears 5 warriors wide will make 10 attacks like a 5 wide corsair unit. Execept, if the corsairs get charged the chances of them fighting back in the first round is greatly reduced compared to the spearelves.

I'm looking at this defensively as the corsairs will make more attacks as they charge. Since you are fighting Dwarves I doubt your Corsairs will get charged! lol

Just some food for thought.
    Yeah i understand your point. However, the plus sides to corsairs is that if they get flank charged, they fight back with 2 attacks each, rather than 1 for spearmen.. and also, corsairs will still get the full 10 attacks to the front with only 1 row still alive. With spearmen you start losing attacks as soon as warriors in the second row start dieing.
    Theres also the +1 to armour save vs shooting. But normally against dwarves you would still only be left with a 6+ save at best :rolleyes:
    & lets not forget they look nice :w00t: did u see them in the gallery?

I like to have a unit of each, that way you have some versatility to what you can do. If you take a defensive list with all spearmen, you could realise hes not going to attack, (just stand & shoot) so youve lost the +1 save and the offensive prowess you need to push forward.. and if you take all corsairs to go on the offense, you could realise the enemy is going to march at you too and overrun you, so if you decide to swap to defence, you have no spearmen (who are better at defence, due to 'parry' & higher numbered squads). So yeah a unit of each is nice. As i said before, i do see your point though. & youre right that dwarves wont be the ones charging lol.

At the moment i dont think im desperate enough to resort to 4 bolt throwers etc.. I dont really want to buy another 2 RBT's anyway.. but if i keep losing consitantly, then i might be a little more 'open' to cheese..& i know how devastating 4 would be.
    A dwarf player would be hypocritical to accuse an opponent of cheese anyway, since dwarves are a little overpowered. I think taking cheese would just be evening the odds against them.

thanks for the input
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

I've looked at your pictures and TRIED commenting, but it does not seem to show my posts. I thought the post may be locked or something, but 'yes" i saw the Corsairs and 'yes' they look very good. I've tried commenting on several of your new pictures.

On the same note......My Forum looks weird in this section compared to others. Also, i don't get the "User CP" link when you reply to me here. Wonder what's up with that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

The user Cp link should be up the top all the time, in all parts of the forum. Not sure whats going on there.

Thanks about the pics.
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread