1000pt friendly Dark Elf army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pt friendly Dark Elf army

I pieced this together with what I learned from other lists. So the point values may be shaky. I'm working on getting the book.

Heroes:
    Sorceress- lvl2, Darkstar Cloak[150]
    Noble- Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might[110]

Core:
    14 Corsairs- Musician, Standard, Reaver[165]
    10 Warriors- RxB, shields[120]
    5 Dark Riders- RxB, Musician[127]

Special:
    9 Shades[]

Rare:
    2 Repeater Bolt Throwers[]

Total:998

Power Dice:5
    Dispel Dice:3
    Model Count:31

Tactics: Being a total noobie, I'm not to sure what I'd do with this list. I'd put the RBT on a hill, where they combined with the sorceress would tear stuff apart. I'd line up the Warriors in 1 long line with the Corsairs 5x3 next to them. My noble would join my corsair unit. I figured I needed something that could pack a little punch due to my low numbers. The shades would go mage/siege weapon/weak ranged unit hunting. The dark riders would sweep the battle field and cause mayhem, and due to their 18' charge(correct?) I was hoping to get a flank charge with the them and the corsairs in the same turn.

Where can I buy a blister pack of 2-3 corsairs, not the command? If someone could give me a link that would be great.

Any comments? Advice?

DK

EDIT: Some point totals removed. Please do not post totals that reveal the per model / item cost. Thanks. ~DavidVC04

Last edited by DarKnife; July 21st, 2006 at 00:51.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Drop the enchanted shield back to a normal shield. Enchanted shield does the same as heavy armour, which you already have. Even better, drop heavy armour & enchanted shield for blood armour & normal shield. Drop a shade if you need the extra points.

Core squads are fine.
    Like i said in the other thread though, this list will be defensive, so 20 spearmen would be better than 15 corsairs. But its no biggy.

Like i said, drop a shade or 2 for the points (if needed elsewhere).
    Bolt throwers are good.

Your tactics: Dont put the sorceress next to the bolt thrower, she will be singled out by a missile shot. If you keep her within 5" of a friendly unit of atleast 5 models (the corsairs) and not the closest thing to the shooters, then she cant be picked out by shooting. That will probably also get her a bit closer to the enemy, which is good (helps her spell range).

Yes the dark riders charge 18". but only ever flank charge with them. Theyll get slaughtered if they charge a unit head on by themselves. They are good march blockers too. Ill explain that later.Basically send them out to shoot things and march block, then once the enemy gets close enough to fight the corsairs, have the riders double back to help.
    & yes use the shades as described.

As for buying 3 corsairs, what country are you in?

Oh, and you have 4 dispell dice, not 3.
    Dont forget to tell us the total of the list too. so we know how many spare points you have when deciding what changes to suggest.

Last edited by Manu_Forti; July 17th, 2006 at 07:14.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti
    Drop the enchanted shield back to a normal shield. Enchanted shield does the same as heavy armour, which you already have. Even better, drop heavy armour & enchanted shield for blood armour & normal shield. Drop a shade if you need the extra points.
    blood armour, 5+ armour that improves with every wound i deal? how much does that cost?cuz id have a 2+ armour save with just normal heavy and a shield SDC of course

Core squads are fine.
    Like i said in the other thread though, this list will be defensive, so 20 spearmen would be better than 15 corsairs. But its no biggy.
    ok cuz i like corsairs. :w00t:

Like i said, drop a shade or 2 for the points (if needed elsewhere).
    Bolt throwers are good.
    then if 2 died in shooting id have to take a panic test. are they targeted that much?

Your tactics: Dont put the sorceress next to the bolt thrower, she will be singled out by a missile shot. If you keep her within 5" of a friendly unit of atleast 5 models (the corsairs) and not the closest thing to the shooters, then she cant be picked out by shooting. That will probably also get her a bit closer to the enemy, which is good (helps her spell range).
    Heh. my bad, sorceress by the corsairs. also, which is better tome of furioin or darkstar cloak?

Yes the dark riders charge 18". but only ever flank charge with them. Theyll get slaughtered if they charge a unit head on by themselves. They are good march blockers too. Ill explain that later.Basically send them out to shoot things and march block, then once the enemy gets close enough to fight the corsairs, have the riders double back to help.
    & yes use the shades as described.
    March block..flee, rally, and then destroy? i think you posted in my other thread. yes, only flank charge, tehy have cavalry spears, right?

As for buying 3 corsairs, what country are you in?
    U.S.A. alaska(big cold state high left) to be specific

Oh, and you have 4 dispell dice, not 3.
    Dont forget to tell us the total of the list too. so we know how many spare points you have when deciding what changes to suggest.

both edited, but why do i have 4 dispel dice? i thought lvl 2's only generated 1?

also, since i dont have the book, specific examples would be nice.

another idea i had was to drop teh warriors and 1 corsair, and buy another squad of dark riders, swapping the blood armour for normal heavy would give me money to buy a dark steed for the sorceress. this would be a more mobile/ offensive list IMO.

DK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

blood armour, 5+ armour that improves with every wound i deal? how much does that cost?cuz id have a 2+ armour save with just normal heavy and a shield SDC of course
    You only get a 2+ save from those items if the character is also mounted, other wise its a 3+ save.
    Blood armour is 5 points less than armour of darkness. But armour of darkness includes a shield, so you dont take it again.
    The combo i suggested will give you a 3+ save, then should be 1+ or 2+ after he attacks something (and she should attack first).

ok cuz i like corsairs. :w00t:
    lol yeah.

then if 2 died in shooting id have to take a panic test. are they targeted that much?
    Well not normally, but in this list they are as good of a target as anything else. Normally there would be monster or Cold one knights drawing all the fire.

Heh. my bad, sorceress by the corsairs. also, which is better tome of furioin or darkstar cloak?
    They are both good. But if you can only take one then never take tome of furion by itself. why? bcoz a level 2 doesnt have enough PD to get off an extra spell. Always take the darkstar cloak first, the the tome is a nice addition. You wont get off 3 spells in a turn but it gives you a better choice of spells. Try to take both items.

March block..flee, rally, and then destroy? i think you posted in my other thread. yes, only flank charge, tehy have cavalry spears, right?
    Yep, so S4 on the charge. Im not so sure you need to rally if you CHOOSE to flee.. its more of a tactical retreat than running in in fear.. We'll check that in the rules section.

U.S.A. alaska(big cold state high left) to be specific
    Ok, ill look into it. I know where to get em here in Aus. but yeah..

both edited, but why do i have 4 dispel dice? i thought lvl 2's only generated 1?
    Ill have to double check but i thought it was the same as power dice, they generate a number equal to their level.

another idea i had was to drop teh warriors and 1 corsair, and buy another squad of dark riders, swapping the blood armour for normal heavy would give me money to buy a dark steed for the sorceress. this would be a more mobile/ offensive list IMO.
    Its a good idea to put the src on a dark steed. But dropping the corairs for more riders is not. Youll have nothing to fight the enemy unit to the front. (in other words, nothing to do the bulk of the fighting while the riders flank charge). a second unit would be good when you expend further. but not in this list.

MF
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You only get a 2+ save from those items if the character is also mounted, other wise its a 3+ save.
    Blood armour is 5 points less than armour of darkness. But armour of darkness includes a shield, so you dont take it again.
    The combo i suggested will give you a 3+ save, then should be 1+ or 2+ after he attacks something (and she should attack first).
    i was calculating in +1 vs shooting from SDC and +1 vs combat from shield, essentially +1 all the time. again, i have no book, so please tell me teh point value. is it worth it to take a magic item to boost your armour from 2+ to 1+?

Well not normally, but in this list they are as good of a target as anything else. Normally there would be monster or Cold one knights drawing all the fire.
    skirmishers move free through trees so ill get sneaky if i have to:ninja:

They are both good. But if you can only take one then never take tome of furion by itself. why? bcoz a level 2 doesnt have enough PD to get off an extra spell. Always take the darkstar cloak first, the the tome is a nice addition. You wont get off 3 spells in a turn but it gives you a better choice of spells. Try to take both items.
    can you take both? i didnt know you could take 2 arcane items...

Yep, so S4 on the charge. Im not so sure you need to rally if you CHOOSE to flee.. its more of a tactical retreat than running in in fear.. We'll check that in the rules section.
    i hate how they organize the rulebook, i can never find what im looking for.

Ill have to double check but i thought it was the same as power dice, they generate a number equal to their level.
    already checked it, i get 3 dispel. with dark elves i get +1 bonus to cast right?

Its a good idea to put the src on a dark steed. But dropping the corairs for more riders is not. Youll have nothing to fight the enemy unit to the front. (in other words, nothing to do the bulk of the fighting while the riders flank charge). a second unit would be good when you expend further. but not in this list.

MF
    I was only considering dropping 1 corsair, with the noble it would still leave me with a squad of 15, but good point. i shall do that later.

I had another good idea for the corsairs, ill put my noble on the far edge of the front rank opposite the warriors, this means less attacks against him, and he would also be able to attack flank chargers, MAYBE discouraging a flank move by my enemy:shifty:

DK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

i was calculating in +1 vs shooting from SDC and +1 vs combat from shield, essentially +1 all the time. again, i have no book, so please tell me teh point value. is it worth it to take a magic item to boost your armour from 2+ to 1+?
    Well:
    -heavy armour makes your save 5+
    -A sea dragon cloak then makes it 4+, and 3+ vs shooting.
    -A normal shield then makes it 3+, and 2+ vs shooting.
    -Being mounted would then make it 2+, and 1+ vs shooting.

You will not gain the further +1 "parry" save from the shield in combat, you only get that from a hand weapon & shield. A sword of might is magical so no parry.

can you take both? i didnt know you could take 2 arcane items...
    Take whatever magical items you want as long as you dont go over the maximum allowed limit of points for items. And you can only have 1 item per army. So that you cant have 3 sorceresses running around all with darkstar cloaks lol (for example)

i hate how they organize the rulebook, i can never find what im looking for.
    Thats what the contents in the front is for lol

already checked it, i get 3 dispel. with dark elves i get +1 bonus to cast right?
    Fair enough then, i dont have the rule book since im waiting for the new one, so i cant/wont argue that. Yes DE are +1 to casting rolls.

I was only considering dropping 1 corsair, with the noble it would still leave me with a squad of 15, but good point. i shall do that later.
    Yeah, thats normally what ya do. Would also give you some points for that tome of furion.:yes:

I had another good idea for the corsairs, ill put my noble on the far edge of the front rank opposite the warriors, this means less attacks against him, and he would also be able to attack flank chargers, MAYBE discouraging a flank move by my enemy:shifty:
    Characters & command models must be arranged from the centre of the squad outwards. Pretty much to stop them from fighting on the flanks. Nice plan though but unfortunatley its a no.
    Another good idea however is to make sure you have a unit champion in whatever unit a character is going to join. That way if the squad gets charged by something like a squad of orcs with a nasty warboss (whom your noble is no match for), you can accept any challenges with the champion instead of the character.

About the corsairs, I dont know about where you are. Just try calling GW and asking. If they dont sell them in packs of 3 over there, it may still even be cheaper to buy a pack of 3 from another country and paying the postage, rather than buying 10.
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Instead of a Noble hide an Assassin in your ranks!

He would be a nasty surprise in the corsairs or the shades. In a 1000 point game he would be quite formidable and quite fun!
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

only prob is they cost twice as much as nobles
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sry guys I was at my crappy job that I really don't wanna talk about all day.

Hmm...I did not know that about magical weapons not giving allowing you a parry bonus. Ok, since you seem to not mind me dropping 1 corsair I think ill use his points to buy a reaver for them so my noble can be on the flank.

Then I could drop a shade and have enough points to buy a Tome of Furion with 1 point to spare. If I dropped Enchanted Shield and Heavy armor I would have 16 points, I doubt thats enough for blood armour and a shield...

The only problem with assassins is they cost like 180 pts, which I just can't spare.

Anything I'm missing?

--edit--on second thought, i like the armour combo i have now, thats 2+ CC and 1+ vs shooting

DK
    Last edited by DarKnife; July 18th, 2006 at 04:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

You'll have to check in the rules section about the arrangement of characters. But im pretty sure you cant have a character on the corner, even if you have all 3 command models to take up the middle. i think he goes in the middle. or second to middle.

But yes a reaver is a good idea so he can accpet challenges that you dont want the noble to fight in.

Which armour combo are you reffering to? the first one you posted? Can you re-post or edit the list to show us what you're going with so far.
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast