Dark Elves First 1000 points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Dark Elves First 1000 points

Hi all.

I've got my first 1000 points of DE assembled, base coated, and partially painted. I thought I'd let people tell me if I'm on the right track. This is posted here because the TAG system doesn't work for army lists yet. sigh. :wacko:

1 Sorceress, lvl2, seal of Grond, Darkstar Cloak (name? adds power die).
    20*warriors, shield, full command
    20*corsairs, full command, war banner
    5*dark riders, RxB, musician
    5*cold one knights, dread knight
    RBT

I'm wondering if I should replace the sorceress with a beastmaster or a noble on dark pegasus, and/or replace the CoK with Harpies.

Expansion plans: I've got another unit of 20 spear warriors, some RxB warriors, and two more RBT already. I think my purchasing priorities are more sorceresses, a dark pegasus character, harpies, shades, and maybe chariots.

Incidentally, I've departed from the typical black/purple/silver paint scheme and am going with gold/silver/red/brown, aiming for a desert raider looking force. Sea cloaks and Cold Ones will be primarily desert yellow (large scales) and bronzed flesh (small scales), with bleached bone for the crests and claws. I'm not terribly concerned with making them look 'evil,' I've already got a chaos force in muted colors. But I think the red and brown tones contrast nicely with the typical white and blue of HE, so they won't be easily confused.

Please give me your thoughts on the existing list, and priorities for expansion. I'm unlikely to change the color scheme, but will gladly take any comments people have.

Koosh

Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're definetly starting out right.
    yes, get at least 1 chariot, 6 or so harpies/shades, another sorc (mounted on Cold One but put it on a Dark Steed), and a box *Executioners* they're awesome (only need 10 +CMD).

for a highborne/noble you'll need to convert a Cold One Knight or take the easy route and use one of the 'classic' models.

a beastmaster on a pegasus is pretty much wasted points, don't do it.
    a beastmaster on a manticor is wicked. however, you'll find that it's hard to put him in all of your lists since he takes 2 hero slots.
    -since the BM/Manticor are large and scary to you opponents they are gonna get shot at with missle and magic a LOT. most people recommend when you take a monster riding character to take a Warhydra too so that your opponent has to decide which beast to aim for.

keep your CoK's in the list. you'll have a hard time if you face an opponent that has calvary without CoK's as DE's are pretty frail as it is. Use harpies sparingly when you have the points to toss, they're expensive.
    Last edited by Geisticon; November 13th, 2006 at 18:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

Thanks for the commentary! Can you answer some questions I have about your responses?

Why is the beastmaster wasted points? You don't get much armor (4+?), but it seems like the guy would be pretty easy to hide behind terrain, excellent for attacking mages/war machines and cheap enough to be largely expendable. Is it just that there too many other units that can fill the same role (dark riders, harpies, etc?)?

I'll take the advice about the harpies, I'm used to the slightly more robust chaos furies, I plan to field 5-6 usually.

Executioners: I'm still forming an opinion on these guys. Killing blow is neat, but is it really necessary that often? And why would I want command in what ends up being a flanking unit? I LOVE the models though, I might pick them up just for that.

Thanks again,
    Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beastmasters are relatively weak all around. they have poor stats (almost the same as regular troops, just more attacks) and can only take 25pts of items. they get no armor choices.
    the reason you take a beastmaster is for his special ability to re-roll monster reaction tests (warhyrda) or mount him on a monster (manticor) because when he dies the monster automatically continues to play as normal.
    if you want a cheap way to swoop in on warmachines or single targets just get a small unit of harpies and dont waste a hero slot. Or put a noble on a dark peg for some real punch, or give him a Deathmask for terrorizing.

yes, executioners are very worth it. it gives you a unit that can kill high T units or heavily armored units. this is an issue with DE's because nearly every troop is S3.
    you can get away just fine without CMD, but i recommend a commander (master??) so that you get an extra attack in a flank (since flanks usually have smaller base-to-base). a musician is good just to get the rally if they need to flee, but that's extra love.

** some errata notes that you might be un-aware of**

Warriors are 7pts a piece base cost now.
    Executioners have heavy armor instead of light now.
    Cold One Knights have LD9 instead of 8 now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

Thanks again for the thoughts!

I've been thinking a lot about the deathmask. How useful do you think it is in 7th edition, given that units in CC are no longer affected by terror? Would I realistically be able to affect many units with terror without setting myself up for a fall against a skilled opponent?

I agree with you on the executioners now. DE can't afford to sit in CC very long, so extra punch to break that flank quickly is necessary. By that logic, are witch elves any good? The extra attack (2 hand wpns, frenzy) seems like rubbish to me, but the poison could be very useful against high T troops. On the other hand, executioners are good against them anyway... And they look cooler...

On the errata, the I've got the DE army book that includes those as standard, so I've been basing my decisions around them. Thanks for making sure though! Do you know about the beastmaster improvements? They can get lances, light armor, and sea dragon cloak, which would make them decent against most of the small arms that could shoot them (move-or-fire weapons can be outmaneuvered if mounted). I think you are right that the harpies would be better candidates for the role, I just LIKE the idea of a pegasus mounted character. Maybe that is a spot for a noble in the 2000 pt expansion.

Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i bought witch elves before executioners and i regret it. they can do some serious wounding, but they get 1 chance to do it IF they even make it past shooting since they have no armor. anyone who knows DE's will know to cream witches with missles, and it's really easy to do. this is why i choose executioners since they have heavy armor. i would choose witches vs an opponent that makes big core troop armies, but there arnt any that i play against.

if the cauldron of blood was actually made usefull and cost effective i would consider making a heavy witch elf army for giggles.

i didnt know that about the beastmaster upgrades! that makes em much more effective. are those changes listed on the GW website? if so have a link?

for the deathmask, you should be bringing that guy in the back of the action, not into it. i did this with skaven and managed to get one side of his troops to start fleeing in the second turn... it was huge. after you get your attempts to terrorize each available unit, you send him into battle to assist combats.
    -obviously this is a item choice vs a low leadership opponent where it will be most effective.
    Last edited by Geisticon; November 15th, 2006 at 16:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

Beastmaster: the US dark elves site has a PDF with the rules included. I believe the UK Dark elves site also does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice. Its a well solid list and it seems like youve either played tons before or you really study many lists haha.

What I really like about your list for 1000 points is that it has everything and not only that but most ppl try to say replace this for that and so forth but when you have a solid list like this the rest isnt for better its for opinion and play style. Your expansion seems good also but I dont like playing with harpies and scouts in the same list. Although with the new rules of hitting people when you flee and using a unit of fliers to go directly behind an enemy unit of cavalary that you think might flee and outrun your chargers, fliers are an amazing tactical advantage giving them another job other then warmachine/ march blocking and lone character hunting.

3 blocks of rank and file is very good also, chariots are neat and so is the pegasus. I like to have my wizard lord on a pegasus and it works fine for me.

All in all there isnt too much to say and the funny thing is 20 mins before this post I gave advice on another persons list and Im pretty sure is just above this 1 on the forums and the army guide line I posted is exactly the same as your list and expansions. The guide line is 2000 points but with your expansions it seems That you are heading that way.

See ya, Hope I helped at all.

+ Reply to Thread