2000 CoS Friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 CoS Friendly

List is updated, please scroll down

Well, I am new to fantasy, however a lot of people at my game store have been telling me to start an army. Thought about doing Tomb Kings but loved the idea of Slaaneshi Dark Elves

I'm still in the process of reading through the core rulebook, never played a fantasy game either. This list is based purely on skimming through rulebook and trying to relate it to 40k (although they are quite different).

Any critique is welcome, feel free to be brutal

High Sorceress: level 4, mark of slaanesh, Dark Pegasus, heart stone of darkness, darkstar cloak.
    [400]
    Sorceress: level 2, 2x dispell scroll, mark of slaanesh
    [200]
    Sorceress: level 2, seal of ghrond, crystal of midnight, mark of slaanesh
    [200]

15 Devoted of Slaanesh: standard bearer
    [192]
    15 devoted of Slaanesh: standard bearer
    [192]
    5x shades: mark of slaanesh
    [80]
    5x shades: mark of slaanesh
    [80]

15 warriors of chaos: shields, mark of slaanesh, standard
    [257]
    6 Dark Riders: mark of slaanesh, Standard, Repeater Crossbows
    [168]

5 Knights of Chaos: mark of slaanesh, standard
    [205]

Total: 1974. Still have 26 points left any suggestions?

Any help would be apreciated. This list will be going up against players with these armies: Tomb Kings (lots of chariots), High Elves/Skaven/Lizardman, Dwarfes, Wood Elves, Beastmen, Vampire Counts.

Last edited by fantasypisces; January 11th, 2007 at 09:11.
    Dark Eldar: 13-wins/ 0-draws / 3-loss
    Imperial Fists SM: 4/1/4 1500 Annan 190th IG: 9/1/2 - retired
    Chaos Daemons: 3/0/2 (stupid Null-zone)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I think it's a pretty good list, though IMO against CoS, the devoted die in droves. Maybe just one unit of the hussies?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    I think it's a pretty good list, though IMO against CoS, the devoted die in droves. Maybe just one unit of the hussies?
    Ya I agree! i just had my teaching game of fantasy today, and decided that one unit of them at 20 would probably be better. The I need to add some musicians to certain units. With the left over points from taking out a unit of Devoted I would then probably do either a full unit of Dark Elf Warriors, or Mauraders (pending on if I decide to do Chaos or Dark Elves once the CoS unit is no longer 'legal'). Additionaly, taking out the High Sorceress and instead doing an Annointed on a Steed of Slaanesh might not be a bad move (because he is AWSOME!).

Thanks for the help!
    Cheers

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just remember that an annointed cannot be your general

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

ok i just typed a nice long response and it magically disappeared.... too bad for you because I'm too peeved to re-type it =(

Basically I said dont bother starting Dark Elves or CoS. Considering that CoS are rumoured to be getting phased out by GW.. And Dark Elves arent too far down the list for being redone (it wouldnt surprise me if it was late '07). I heard after High Elves, which is mid this year.

If you are aware of that but content to go ahead. Then yes, swap the level 4 for an annointed, bump your magic down to a standard defense. 1 Level 1 with 2 scrolls & put the Seal of G on the annointed. Then take a cheapy noble to be the general.
    Drop a unit of Shades and try to squeeze in a Bolt Thrower.
    If you want to stick with magic-heavy then just use regular Dark Elves, you dont have to spend all those points on Marks of Chaos.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti View Post
    ok i just typed a nice long response and it magically disappeared.... too bad for you because I'm too peeved to re-type it =(

Basically I said dont bother starting Dark Elves or CoS. Considering that CoS are rumoured to be getting phased out by GW.. And Dark Elves arent too far down the list for being redone (it wouldnt surprise me if it was late '07). I heard after High Elves, which is mid this year.

If you are aware of that but content to go ahead. Then yes, swap the level 4 for an annointed, bump your magic down to a standard defense. 1 Level 1 with 2 scrolls & put the Seal of G on the annointed. Then take a cheapy noble to be the general.
    Drop a unit of Shades and try to squeeze in a Bolt Thrower.
    If you want to stick with magic-heavy then just use regular Dark Elves, you dont have to spend all those points on Marks of Chaos.

Cheers
    Well, the two gentlemen that are teaching me said they wouldn't mind playing against my CoS army even if it gets phased out. Although, the army list looks like it will still be valid this year (probably until Dark Elves get redone). Additionaly, even if Dark Elves do get redon at the end of the year, it wouldn't be bad if I had some models. I love how the Witch Elve look, the shades and sorcereses are decent. I like the mysterious look of the dark riders. I very much doubt any of those units will be stricken from an updated army book. They might become better, they might be worse, but like I said, it wouldn't be bad to have to models.

Anyway, to your suggestions! With taking the noble as my general (I was just planning on having the sorceress be it), is that implying to give the caster magic ranks? One level 1 sorceress doesn't seem very effective for a magic phase... Additionaly, the Chaos knights take up two rare choices, so if I was to 'squeeze' in a bolt thrower I would need to drop the knights.

Thank you very much for your help! It was appreciated.
    ~Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by fantasypisces View Post
    Well, the two gentlemen that are teaching me said they wouldn't mind playing against my CoS army even if it gets phased out. Although, the army list looks like it will still be valid this year (probably until Dark Elves get redone). Additionaly, even if Dark Elves do get redon at the end of the year, it wouldn't be bad if I had some models. I love how the Witch Elve look, the shades and sorcereses are decent. I like the mysterious look of the dark riders. I very much doubt any of those units will be stricken from an updated army book. They might become better, they might be worse, but like I said, it wouldn't be bad to have to models.
    Well, its entirely your decision. I just felt it appropriate to point that out incase you didnt know. Personally I dont like to spend time/money on models and have them outdated by something cooler soon after. its your time & your money though, go nuts ;p

Anyway, to your suggestions! With taking the noble as my general (I was just planning on having the sorceress be it), is that implying to give the caster magic ranks? One level 1 sorceress doesn't seem very effective for a magic phase... Additionaly, the Chaos knights take up two rare choices, so if I was to 'squeeze' in a bolt thrower I would need to drop the knights.
    Yes, 1 level 1 is horribly inneffective for a magic phase. She is only there for magic defense though, as in dispel dice, you wont be hoping to actually cast any spells. As a general rule of thumb, you either take a cheap magic defense so that you arent totally vulnerable to magic, but dont waste too many points. Or you take heaps of it and utterly dominate the magic, to make it worth doing..

You can make her your general if you want. It's just a little risky because she is easy to kill. its an easy 100 victory points for your opponent.

You are right about the Rare slots. My bad. Use some of the points to boost those spearmen up to 20 then.
    As you said earlier, merging those 2 units of 15 devoted into 1 unit of 20 may be the way to go. Not sure.
    If you can take harpies in CoS then maybe take them in place of 1 unit of shades. You dont want your opponents war machines free to pound away at your expensive Knights & fragile infantry all game. Harpies take care of that.

Thank you very much for your help! It was appreciated.
    ~Cheers
    No prob.
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alrighty, try number two! Tweaked it a little bit as suggested from this forum and other individuals that I play with. Geared it so that I could have a good starting block for Dark Elves come the time.

Druchii Anointed: w/ repeater crossbow, steed of slaanesh, Draich of Dark Power, Seal of Ghrond [365]

Noble: w/ lance, lifetaker, chaos armor, shield, mark of slaanesh, steed of slaanesh [176]

Sorceress: mark of slaanesh, 2x dispell scrolls [160]

20 devoted of Slaanesh: full command [270]

20 Dark Elf Warriors: w/ shields, musician, standard bearer, mark of slaanesh [195]

6 Shades: w/ light armor, mark of slaanesh [98]

15 Warriors of Chaos: w/ shields, mark of slaanesh, standard bearer, musician [263]

5 Dark Riders: w/ repeater crossbows, musician [127]

5 Knights of Chaos: /w standard bearer, musician, mark of slaanesh [215]

total: = 1996

Anointed runs around on his own (he is a confident bloke), Noble rides off with a unit of Dark Riders, Sorceress marches with either DE Warriors or Devoted (not sure which would be best?)

Once again, any help is appreciated!
    Cheers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Looks solid to me. Granted, I don't know the army like other players here, but I've faced CoS several times. So from that point of view, I think your list looks like it'd play really well.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Druchii Anointed: w/ repeater crossbow, steed of slaanesh, Draich of Dark Power, Seal of Ghrond [365]
    The super combo is a Great weapon with Quickening blood & sopoforic musk.
    Im not a fan of crossbows on characters. Keep the steed & the seal.

Noble: w/ lance, lifetaker, chaos armor, shield, mark of slaanesh, steed of slaanesh [176]
    Same comment about the crossbows. Its a lot of points just for 2 lousy S3 shots.. I would kit him for combat. Sword of Might + Enchanted shield.

Sorceress: mark of slaanesh, 2x dispell scrolls [160]
    Good. Is the Mark optional?. What the hell does it do anyway?
    Where is she going? Just hide her behind a forest or something, forget casting spells.

20 devoted of Slaanesh: full command [270]
    Ok

20 Dark Elf Warriors: w/ shields, musician, standard bearer, mark of slaanesh [195]
    Good.

6 Shades: w/ light armor, mark of slaanesh [98]
    Dont take light armour on these guys. Most attacks will get rid of it.

15 Warriors of Chaos: w/ shields, mark of slaanesh, standard bearer, musician [263]
    Good.

Good.

5 Knights of Chaos: /w standard bearer, musician, mark of slaanesh [215]
    Good. Annointed here.

Anointed runs around on his own (he is a confident bloke), Noble rides off with a unit of Dark Riders, Sorceress marches with either DE Warriors or Devoted (not sure which would be best?)
    The annointed kit out I mentioned + putting him in the unit of Chaos Knights is the faily standard 'unstoppable' set up..

Just deploy the sorceress somewhere out of the action. Even a nice cover bonus. You dont have a suitable unit for her.
    See above comments about the Noble. I would like to see him in a unit though. Maybe even on foot with the spearmen, for protection. A lone general is a big juicy target. Unless he can really hold his own, like a Highborn on Dragon/Manticore or something. Not a Noble on a steed.

The list looks good. Only the characters are a bit off. Some need item tweaking. Others, its just how you intend to use them.

Cheers
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread