Dark Elves 2000pts Friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Elves 2000pts Friendly

Please don't post points/model, this violates GW copyright. Thanks!
    -Koosh

I am relatively new to DE, this is my first real attempt at a 2000 point army. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

High Sorceress w/ Deathmask and Soulstone (330)
    Beastmaster w/ Manticore, Blood Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak and an extra hand weapon (260)
    Assassin w/ extra hand weapon, Manbane and Rune of Khaine (179)

22 Warriors w/ sheilds and full command (201)
    10 Warriors w/ Repeater Crossbows (110)
    5 Dark Riders w/ Repeater Crossbows and full command (155)

5 Shades w/ light armour ()
    15 Executioners w/ full command (195)

War Hydra ()
    15 Black Guard w/ full command (275)

Total=2000 points.

Last edited by kooshlord; May 2nd, 2007 at 15:59.
    Don't worry too much about life-it isn't permanent.

They say that a space marine is superhuman, a hundred times more powerful than a normal man. Mon-keigh, one hundred times zero is still zero.

Do you hear the screaming? Its Edward Scissorhands wanking...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by thebear View Post
    I am relatively new to DE, this is my first real attempt at a 2000 point army. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Welcome, then.

High Sorceress w/ Deathmask and Soulstone (330)
    Im guessing she is level 3.
    The deathmask is really intended for characters who are seeking close combat. Sorceresses shouldnt be anywhere near combat, so get rid of it.

Apart from that, a level 3 is nice, but it wont do much at 2000 points without a few level 2's to support her.
    I always recommend either going magic heavy (a high sorceress & a few level 2's), or simply a cheap minimal amount of magic defence (a level 1 with 2 dispel scrolls).
    Basically magic is expensive, so if youre going to take any decent amount, it needs to be a lot to be worth it, otherwise its a waste.

Either be prepared to drop the Beastmaster & assassain for 2 level 2's, or downgrade this one to a level 1 with 2 dispel scrolls (and preferably also a Seal of Ghrond on another character).

Beastmaster w/ Manticore, Blood Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak and an extra hand weapon (260)
    If you keep him, then swap his extra hand weapon for a lance.

Assassin w/ extra hand weapon, Manbane and Rune of Khaine (179)
    IF you take assassains, this is probably the best set up. However you have already spent a lot of points on characters. As above, I would either drop him for a level 2 sorceress, get rid of him entirely, or swap him for a cheap Noble to act as the general.

22 Warriors w/ sheilds and full command (201)
    Just go for 20 with standard & musician. Only add a lordling if a character joins them.

10 Warriors w/ Repeater Crossbows (110)
    ok

5 Dark Riders w/ Repeater Crossbows and full command (155)
    Good unit but only ever take a musician, the other 2 upgrades are a waste of points for this unit.
    Why? The champion is expensive & having +1BS is useless because its still only a crummy S3 shot.
    The banner wont help because this unit should only flank charge units which are fighting your infantry units (spears etc), who will already have a banner. & If an enemy unit charges these guys, you are screwed regadless of whether they have a banner or not

5 Shades w/ light armour (75)
    6+ armour save wont help them at all, drop the armour.
    I prefer Harpies because they can fly, which is very useful for killing war machine crews. I havent used Shades myself, but the others here seem to think theyre also good.

15 Executioners w/ full command (195)
    Good. Its nice to get a row of 6 though, try increasing them to 18 so you can have 6x3 formation.
    Or drop them to 12 for 2x6 if you cant get the points

War Hydra (220)
    Ok, but a little too expensive for an already expensive list. It will be alright if you get rid of some of the other expensive stuff though.

15 Black Guard w/ full command (275)
    Im not a fan of these, I think they are too expensive. 2 Bolt throwers would do a lot better & save you 75 points.

Ok, basically the characters are the main problem. Ive explained about the magic. They also take up too many points, especially in a list with other expensive units (black guard & Hydra). You really dont have much on the table at all.

For characters, I think maybe try for something like this:
    -Sorceress, level 1: 2x Dispel scrolls
    -Noble (general), heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, lance, Enchanted shield, seal of ghrond. (in chariot).

Use the points you save (heaps!) to take 2 chariots. 1 for the Noble & 1 next to him.
    Use some more of the points to take a second unit of Infantry, either:
    20-25 spearmen, shields, musician & standard
    15-20 Corsairs, musician, standard & warbanner

You'll also need a another unit for flank charges (2 is good at 2000 points). 5 Cold one Knights are great for that, but if you cant quite get enough points, dark riders are good enough.

EDIT: I just saw your other post, you already have the Manticore. So Im sure you want to keep it in the list, understandably. I think you can probably keep it & just drop the War Hydra instead.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I think Black guard are brilliant and underestimated by many. Stubborn is a fantastic rule especially if you have the general nearby. A small unit of them can be used to hold up a nasty enemy unit in time for you to pull off a counter charge of your own

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey View Post
    I think Black guard are brilliant and underestimated by many. Stubborn is a fantastic rule especially if you have the general nearby. A small unit of them can be used to hold up a nasty enemy unit in time for you to pull off a counter charge of your own
    I don't think you can use the general's leadership if you are using the stubborn rule. I think stubborn is fantastic if you have a BSB nearby, so you can reroll on your stubborn leadership.

-koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kooshlord View Post
    I don't think you can use the general's leadership if you are using the stubborn rule. I think stubborn is fantastic if you have a BSB nearby, so you can reroll on your stubborn leadership.

-koosh
    Oh yes you're quite right. Had a momentary brain freeze there. Still I think they are a good bet, especially with the BSB nearby, like you say

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help guys, sorry about the points listing, I thought it was fine to list squad/character totals, just not points for individual items/models. I'll remember that for future posts.
    On the last list, sorceress had deathmask so a) her unit (usually the spear elves) would cause terror and b) they would be immune to fear. Thanks for adivice on unit size of executioners and command groups, much appreciated.
    I've taken into account the advice offered, hows this sound:

Noble w/ lance, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, enchanted shield and seal of Ghrond Rides in a chariot.
    Sorceress w/ 2 dispell scrolls
    Beastmaster w/ manticore, blood armour, lance and sea dragon cloak.

20 Warriors w/ standard, musician
    10 Warriors w/ repeater crossbows
    5 dark riders w/ repeater crossbows and musician
    15 Corsairs w/ standard and musician

5 Harpies
    2 Cold One chariots
    18 Executioners w/ full command
    5 Cold One Knights

15 Black Guard w/ full command

Total=1999 points.

I went for harpies so it would come in under 2000 points. Isn't it a bit risky to take exactly the amount of models you need for the desired number of ranks, such as 20 spearmen-I mean if any of them die, say to shooting, you loose that rank for combat res.

Thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by thebear; May 4th, 2007 at 08:39. Reason: To better explain my reasoning, fixing typo

They say that a space marine is superhuman, a hundred times more powerful than a normal man. Mon-keigh, one hundred times zero is still zero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Gah! I just typed a post for this but LO is f____g up again (
    Oh well heres a quicker reply..

Noble w/ lance, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, enchanted shield and seal of Ghrond
    Sorceress w/ 2 dispell scrolls
    Beastmaster w/ manticore, blood armour, lance and sea dragon cloak. Rides in a chariot.
    Good. Im sure the 'rides in chariot is meant to be on the Noble though.

20 Warriors w/ standard, musician
    10 Warriors w/ repeater crossbows
    2X5 dark riders w/ repeater crossbows and musician
    15 Corsairs w/ standard and musician
    Good.
    You dropped the Hydra so you have a rare slot there. I highly recommend dropping the crossbows for a bolt thrower, it will do A LOT more damage.

That also gives you 10 points towards a Warbanner for the corsairs.

5 Shades
    2 Cold One chariots, crew with spears, one without noble with xbows
    18 Executioners w/ full command
    Good but dont bother with crossbows on DE chariots. Too expensive & not worth it.
    Theres some more points towards that Warbanner.

15 Black Guard w/ full command
    ok..

On the last list the sorceress had the deathmask so the unit of spearmen she was hiding in would cause terror, and thus also be immune to fear.
    I know, but still. nooo, no..no!

Isn't it a bit risky to take exactly the amount of models you need for the desired number of ranks-I mean if any of them die, say to shooting, you loose that rank for combat res.
    Its nice to have a few extras for that reason, IF you have some spare points. I certainly wouldnt say its 'risky' not to though. If they dont get shot at, then they are a waste of points, which is very likely considering they have a Manticore & chariots to shoot at..
    Also, its no disadvantage because most players wont take extras either.

Thanks again for the help!
    No worries, good luck with it.
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realised I made a mistake with adding up in the last post, has now been fixed. Yes the noble is riding in the chariot. I must have been momentarily mind controlled by the government or something:shifty: . Anyways, if i replace the xbowmen with a bolt thrower I have a choice-1 unit of dark riders and one unit of knights, and no war banner for the corsairs, or 2 units of dark riders and the corsairs get their banner. Of course the black guard could also loose some of their command to pay for it or something. What do you reckon is best?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

You might be able to save some points by taking blood armour off of the Beastmaster. Then give him light armour & move the enchanted shield from the Noble to the beastmaster, and give the noble a regular shield (the chariot gives him protection anyway, so he should still be ok).

The BM will mostly need the save against shooting, which will happen before Blood armour's abilities take effect anyway.

That would give you enough points to take a 6th Harpy, which would be good.

Then Id be tempted to say go for 12 Executioners. Use the points for the Warbanner.
    If you have any left overs, you might be able to boost the Corsairs to 18 in 6x3.

Cheers
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

You might be able to save some points by taking blood armour off of the Beastmaster. Then give him light armour & move the enchanted shield from the Noble to the beastmaster, and give the noble a regular shield (the chariot gives him protection anyway, so he should still be ok).
    Beastmaster cannot have a shield, even magical
    "One must do violence to the object of one's desire; when it surrenders, the pleasure is greater."

Marquis De Sade

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast