New Idea - Crossbows in large units? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

New Idea - Crossbows in large units?

Hey all

Ive been making Tomb King lists for a mate who was struggling with them. I found its a good idea to use skeleton bowmen in large units + standard, then reform into a big fighting block before they get charged.

Now Ive been toying around with the idea of applying the same theory to Dark Elves, when used defensively..
    I know, skeletons are unbreakable, and the dead can be revived, but I still think it could be an efficient way to use regular missile troops.

For example:
    20 Crossbowmen - 255
    Shields, Standard, musician

Deploy in 10x2. Hopefully on a hill so both ranks can fire. The enemy gets close enough to charge, reform into 5x4 for a decent combat unit - 3 ranks, standard, maybe outnumber, 4+ save.
    Also a safer home for any Sorceress'

of course, I wouldnt use this in a low points level as it's a little expensive (I'd stick with a unit of 10). However in a 2000+ point defensive list, it could be more effective than having 2 small units of 10, which are easy to crush in combat.

I know I'm outspokenly opposed to S3 crossbowmen in general, since I prefer attacking, but this more of a 'make the most of a bad situation' idea.

I'm interested to hear some of your thoughts about this?

Cheers

Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Deploy in 10x2. Hopefully on a hill so both ranks can fire.
    Wishful thinking.

When i do use crossbowmen i try to deploy in as large a front as possible to maximise shooting but at 20cm wide it becomes unwieldy to say the least.

Also, not many hills are that long, or in your deployment zone (well, not for me anyways.)

The enemy gets close enough to charge, reform into 5x4 for a decent combat unit - 3 ranks, standard, maybe outnumber, 4+ save.
    A reform from a non-fast cav. unit is rare indeed but i really like the idea.

A 4+ save is nothing to be sniffed at and a unit like crossbowmen are largely ignored in favour of shooting at approaching infantry and so will customarily be at full strength.

For the above "ignored" reason.

The trick would be to gauge when the enemy is close but not too close. I can see myself going "hey, one more turn wont hurt" then finding out they were in range by a half inch!!

Still, my only beef thus far is the wide front....sigh, if only DE could stand on each others shoulders and still be able to shoot,

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

well deployment room is always an issue with missile troops, especially in large battles. But the 'normal' unit of 10 is still usually deployed in 1 long line, so this idea is no longer than that. I guess it depends how much of your deployment zone is taken up by scenery.

Hmm

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread