A second look at Hydra Banner - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

A second look at Hydra Banner

Noble - Battle Standard bearer - 211
    -Cold one
    -Heavy armour, Sea dragon cloak
    -Hydra banner

+

5 Cold one Knights - 190
    -Full command

=

11 WS5 S5 attacks.. 4 WS6 S4 attacks.. 12 WS3 S4 attacks.
    ;o

After thinking the Hydra banner to be useless and/or too expensive, Im starting to see the light!
    Thats probably one of the most hard hitting things DE's can field.

Usually the problem with BSBs for elves is they are so darn easy to kill in combat, but being mounted on a Cold One really helps that, so I think it all comes together quite well.

Downsides, Stupidity. & yes- Its 401 points. However a cheap unit of Harpies or even 5 naked Dark riders can screen it from shooting. As long as you guess your distances well to make damn sure they get the charge, they should be fine (banner of murder could help, if you are willing to pay the points).
    Espeically if you ran it in a list with a pair of chariots & a Hydra or Dragon. So that they arent the only juicy target- & not to mention not the only hard hitters.

I have to give credit to Stonehambey for this however, twas he who showed me the light. ;Y

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well its good to see that you have found the path

anyhow the hydra banner units are expensive but they do make up for it,imo in sheer killing power like you said the CoK-hydra combo is expensive but will break most anything on the charge . Another combo to think about is a large block of execs(21, 7x3) with the banner in it, 13 KB S5 attacks is nasty and your enemies general will avoid it like the plauge, i would also give it the dread banner so you ensure you get the charge.
    :party2:
    ~flameseeker

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I've never seen a DE player who didn't have this set up with his COK. I just have to watch out and make sure I get a flank on him.

They are kind of like a poor-man's Chaos Knights - still very nasty on the charge (or even when you charge them and whiff)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm not up to date with the dark elves but in my armybook the following is said about the Battlestandard Bearer:

The Battle Standard Bearer cannot be given any non-magical equipment except for light or heavy armour and a Sea Dragon cloak, or be mounted on a Dark Pegasus.
    Thats on page 27 in the sidepanel.

So a CoK unit couldn't get it unless you put a Dark Pegasus in it... (or the BSB on foot with M5 )

But then again I don't play DE, I only beat them hehe. So I might miss some updated rules, do tell if there are. I got the Dark Elves Revision (Revisisted) rules atm. They are from the GW site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

A Cold One is not 'equipment', it's a mount. Im pretty sure that set up is legal.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

It means the BSB can't be mounted on a Dark Pegasus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm well you might be right Stonehambey... but then English isn't my first language so if they put it in a strange way I do get confused sometimes :rofl

But then forget about my comments and use the combo as it looks good
    (I still beat DE hands down though )

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

The BSB rules for any army were never the clearest of things, even for native speakers :rofl

+ Reply to Thread