What would you do? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

What would you do?

Basicaly Darkelves started my entire Warhammer addiction, about 1-2 years ago. Anyhow i got around 500-700 points mostly from models i loved the look of... and could afford, as i knew nothing of the game at the time.

About this time last year i started digging deeper, discoved this website, and read that the Darkelfs are getting a makeover sometime soon(tm). So after thinking about it, and talking to a few mates, decided to try out 40k while the new models came around. I now have a 2k Eldar Ulthwé themed army and enjoy 40k alot.

Now enough crap, time to get down to the meat n veg of this post so to speak.

The new Highelf stuff got my juices flowing for fantasy again, after seeing them at Gamesday UK. The models look amazing, and are mostly plastic, so are fairly cheep. Im realy realy tempted to 'bin' my current Darkelves and get the Highelf stuff. My issues are basicaly that the Druchii are very expensive ( money wise ) if i want to get enough to field 2k. Think i figured it out that 1 unit of 20 witchelves would set me back £50ish. I love the lore of the DE's and the amout of beasts they use, it gives a very varyed and nice to look at table top.

The highelves now also give this, with the lions and that awesome new dragon. I also begrudge paying around £200 to build up this army when i know in 6 months - 2years time im going to have to update it. But then again the new cold one is amazing, and i hope the other DE beasts get the same kind of makeover

Argh choices choices.... i would love some advice please :happy:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulshade View Post
    The highelves now also give this, with the lions and that awesome new dragon. I also begrudge paying around £200 to build up this army when i know in 6 months - 2years time im going to have to update it. But then again the new cold one is amazing, and i hope the other DE beasts get the same kind of makeover

Argh choices choices.... i would love some advice please :happy:

Actually, you can still use old models, even if new ones come out.
    Worshipper of Dice
    Last game: Victory Dark Elves vs High Elves & Orcs & Goblins
    WDL: Dark Elves:37/6/8 Space Marines:7/3/3

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

For my part, if you've got a strong inclination towards army A, but decide to collect army B because army B has new stuff, then army B will always seem just a little unsatisfying to you.

If the coolness of the Dark Elves is what drew you to the game, then I'd make do with whatever you have, buying only what little you might need to round off your army. The new High Elf models are beyond cool, true. But you have to realize that the Dark Elves will likely get a more intensive makeover when their time comes.

GW seems to want to have plastics for at least all core choices in each army, which means the DE will likely see a run of new plastics when they get redone, if not an entire army of plastics. Just imagine how disappointed you'll be if you settle for High Elves now and can only look in envy at the cool new DE figs.

Given the look of that cold one rider, I'm betting the Dark Elves are in for a treat when their time comes. I advise patience.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

you could continue buying DE models and just proxy them for HE rules to play HE until the DE book comes out. Executioners look like Swordmasters, blackguard for Phoenix Guard, and Dark Riders for Reavers, etc. Use DE models but play with HE rules if you must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I think the whole point of his post is that he likes the new HE models, but likes the DE rules. Using the DE models and playing by HE rules is basically the opposite of what he wants (from what I can tell at least )

This is kind of a hard question to ask advice on however. I would suggest just looking at the army's and really, really think about what you want from the army.

I did the same thing with my first army. I was playing O&G because I wanted to use trolls, giants, and black orcs (basically big strong guys) while also having the little wimps that they kick around. The new Ogre Kingdoms came out and I was drawn to them for the same reason. I spent a while thinking about each army and finally decided on the Ogres. I personally have been really happy with my choice.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I pre ordered the HE boxed set, for £80 you cant go far wrong.
    I spend more then that in beer in a weekend sometimes :drinking:

+ Reply to Thread