A question about Dark Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

A question about Dark Elves

Hello all you Druchii out there,

I had a quick question about Dark Elves. I know that many consider them to be a weak(er) list, but why is this so? I am thinking about starting up a second army (after Ogre Kingdoms) and right now VC is the front runner. However I would like to give the DE a chance.

Any help is appreciated.

"I am the architect of fate!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey demandred, many people see DE as a weak list becuase of the following reasons, a weak magic item list,the lack of relieble heavy cav, t3, weak vs gunlines. Becuase of these things ontop of a steep learning curve turn most people off of DE. that would be the weaknesses of the list, on the other hand we have great models and under the direction of an experienced general can be a very good army. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a PM.:party2:

Intergalatic Toaster Maxy_the_con's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well ive been doing dark elves for 6 years now? (sorry boasting moment over now)
    well as flameseeker said before your heavy cav are only toughness 3 so most of the elite troops of dark elves get there ass handed too them when it goes down to staying alive... though fast and have nasty little tricks they just dont seem to pack the punch as most armies have... BUT i love them anyway with my dark riders army and executioners it just warms me firing ten shorts per 5 man units of riders while weaving around there units while my executioners go in for the kill and my terror casuing highborn on dark peg flys around scaring off shooting units ^_^
    "your the sculpting tool i never had"

If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Every army has it's weaknesses, and DE are seen as weak because their weakness is-well-weakness. All elves are T3 (so are the HE and WE, to the best of my knowledge) but that's just one weakness that can be helped ith the assistance of armour and shields.

It is true DE are substantially more expensive than, say, empire, but the average DE soldier can beat the again, T3 Empire guy to kingdom come. HE, whose stats are about the same, have really expensive troops.

Besides, we have really good firepower. Practically every man can shoot twice from the RxB he has, and I object to the cavalry point, Cold One Knights and anything on cold ones are really good. And our weaker cavalry makes up for it by being fast cavalry and carrying RxBs.

Apparently our magic list is pathetic. well, I admit it's not the best, but I think it's better than the Orcs and some other lists.

Our special units are great; we have Witch elves with poisoned attacks who unhappily always get shot to pieces, but hey, they draw fire away from the Executioners and Cold One Knights, with their Killing blow and Cold Ones (no prizes for guessing which has which), we have good chariots (again with the RxBs), skirmishing Shades, a really durable scout unit that more than pays for itself (it also has RxBs) and we have a cheap flying unit in a special slot.

We also have good artillery with reaper shots, black guard who hate everyone, hydras which are like tanks, and cauldrons of blood which are crap, but look good.

I hope this helps.

Attila
    Worshipper of Dice
    Last game: Victory Dark Elves vs High Elves & Orcs & Goblins
    WDL: Dark Elves:37/6/8 Space Marines:7/3/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Attila the Hun Jr View Post
    and cauldrons of blood which are crap, but look good.
    BAH! they are amazing, for a mere umm hmm.... yes slightly over 200 points they let your enitre army reroll wounds, and give witch elves a ward save to boot, sure it cant move and its range could be better(30?) but still its definatly not bad.8Y

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by flameseeker574 View Post
    BAH! they are amazing, for a mere umm hmm.... yes slightly over 200 points they let your enitre army reroll wounds, and give witch elves a ward save to boot, sure it cant move and its range could be better(30?) but still its definatly not bad.8Y
    It's 18" or something and I'm not sure on the wounds part.

Besides, I don't need/want a COB in my army. A big, motionless magic thing will cost me 200pts+ and attract fire. I can think of cheaper and better things to attract fire. That's why the gods made peasants.

Attila
    Worshipper of Dice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heh peons, anyway were getting off topic,but still you might want to read this (you seem to have the old, none revised book)
    http://us.games-workshop.com/games/w.../revisions.htm

so demandred to sum it up DE are a great army that have nice models and a great backround but the rules do need some work and it looks like we wont be getting that until this time next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I never even heard of that update before now...thanks.
    Worshipper of Dice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Actually, yeah, an update is coming up after VC. I have heard it is a throw up between Chaos and DE for various reasons.

And as for the effectiveness of our units, most can be outdone. Our heavy cav can be out heavy caved, and our basic troops are now bested by our newly updated cursed brethren. Im not sure how many points a basic spearman is, but im sure they can't be that much more expensive. Also, I think that Black Guard are one of the worst models for their point cost in the game. What do they have going for them?? For 16 pts(I think, dont got my book with me) I get a T 3, S 4, Ld 9 unit that can hardly be called elite. The little bite that they do pack is the ability to have everybody, and the stubborn can be seen either way.

However, I think that we have the best fast cavalry in the game, and one of the best scouts. I love shades, just their ability to screw up marches while shooting their 2x shots is really useful and lets our other ranged units exact just that much more punishment on the slowed units. And the dark riders, I see, as the most useful unit in our army. They can get rxb, can shoot in any direction, and can run circles around the enemy army while doing many of the things that shades can. Love those guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I don't have the new HE rulebook-it's coming next Monday. But apparently the HE spearmen cost has gone down a point or two. Even if that's true, thet's still 2 or 3 points extra for each spearman-and the do the exact same stuff.

Archers are a little less expensive then an RxBman with a shield, but the RxBman with a shield is ten times better. Silver hlems just attract fire, and now they're a special choice, not core. A Cold ne Knight is just as good, if not better, than a silver Helm, and it makes up for costing a little extra by causing fear and having a better mount.

Lothern Seaguard are really good, though. A lot of people think they're bad, but they only cost about 15pts and have all the stuff archers and spearmen have. But our corsairs have two attacks, and are welll defended with their sea dragon cloaks and armour.

Witch elves are awesome-if vulnerable-and if you give them enough cover they cause havoc on the enemy lines. Once, I charged Tyrion(?) a HE character with about 8 wounds and an armour save of 1 and killed him just with the poison.

Executioners are like witch elves on the defense, with their Killing Blow, and our Chariots are really good. RBTs shoot reaper bolots AND normal bolts, and are two for one rare slot.

I hope this helps.
    Worshipper of Dice

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast