Considering Dark Elves. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering Dark Elves.

Hello all.

I'm trying to finally decide on my Fantasy army. My considerations are Hordes of Chaos, Vampire Counts and Dark Elves. VC I think I've almost ruled out and now I'm investigating Dark Elves. I like the Viking/Barbarian brute force aspect of Chaos but Dark Elves really fit my character for evil. That and a lot of their stuff and fluff is cool. I love where they are stationed, a cold land with big cities and fortifications with lots of pirate/viking like raids. My kind of nation.

Now I'm wondering on the playstyle issues a bit.

I understand they are hard and all but in the end for me its playing an army that when I have the models lined up I can know its my army. An army I like how it looks, feels, and is fluffwise, not whether its very competitive or not. An army that seems to fit me. Which DE, VC and HoC in that order do very well.

I'm wondering, can Dark Elves play a defensive army? As in I wait for the enemy to come to me. Do they have the range power to do this? If so how limited would I be?

Also how well can you mass troops with Dark Elves? Can you make fairly large army with lots of infantry? Like a bunch of warriors?

Also with the new Dark Elf army book can one expect that every option will be costed right and will be usable? As in nearly any list idea could work, that there will be a great variation in the new army book. I don't know how good new GW books are.

Another thing is, I've been reading the rumors on the new Dark Elf update coming.

Is it safe to assume that these models will not be redone so I could start collecting my DE army right away?

"
    - Warriors;
    - Dark Raiders;
    - Executioners;
    - Witch Elves;
    - Shades;
    - ColdOne Chariot;
    - Harpies;
    - Black Guard;
    - Reaper Bolt Thrower;
    - Manticore;
    - Black Dragon
    "

Is it safe to buy Reaper Bolt Throwers, Black Guard, Chariots, Warriors, and Executioners?

EDIT: I want to add, what is the pattern on the shield of Dark Elf warriors. I absolutely can't stand the skull with wings. I've seen pictures of both. What is the real deal?

Last edited by Jacaran; March 11th, 2008 at 00:35.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to DE.
    De can play defensive but not as effective as offensive. Defensive play style would include largely on infantry blocks and a lot of shooting. Not necessary from warriors as warriors with rxb are both expensive and not so effective. The real ranged damage comes from boltthrowers and magic missiles. Dark riders and shades are good for both shooting and march blocking. But despite being a ranged and magic heavy army you still have to include a fairly good portion of good CC troops as some armies just out guns DE. (I'd say that DE are a mid tier ranged army)
    There aren't really any bad DE units (except for beastmaster) every one of them are good in their own way. There are only bad magic items. Most DE magic items are bad. There are very few good magic item combos for your characters.
    Well mass troops aren't that common with DE units as most units are good flankers so you won't need more than 10 models. The only units you can make big blocks of are spear warriors, corsairs and black guard. Also all DE models except for warriors are metal it'll cost you a fortune to get a infantry heavy army.

About the models. I can't say for sure what models will stay the same. We have already seen new cold one mounts so I'd assume that both the knights and chariots will be redone. It's also confirmed that it'll be new plastic multipart characters. He got a new dragon model so I'd assume that DE gets one as well, with minor modifications. There are rumors about plastic corsairs. The rest is a big question mark. My guess (don't quote me on this) are that they'll keep witch elves, executioners, shades, black guard and warriors just as they are today. We might see plastic boltthrowers I also hope for plastic witch elves but I think it'll be a long shot. I think that they'll redo dark riders (seeing how popular they're and how old the models are) and I also hope on getting new harpie models as they're ugly as they're now. I think the manticore will stay the same but there is a chance on plastic hydras.
    As for rules I's say don't take anything for granted unit it has been reviled.
    And about the dark elf shields they come blank and you can glue on the patterns. So if you don't like them you can simply paint or greenstuff your own.

I've been thinking on making a DE tactica but was always too lazy to complete it. Maybe I'll come trough and finish it someday

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

The dragon has already been redone in a way. You buy the High Elf dragon and convert it.

The shields come blank with a set of 3 optional symbols.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I'd be wary of starting DE or HoC right now. DE have a new army book on the horizon this year, and there is a strong rumour that is also the case for HoC as well.

So if you decide on one of those two, I wouldn't go buying too much before August ish (for Dark Elves).

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Dark Elves are not known for their defensive prowess; however: Dark Elves have some of the best shooting units in the game. Almost everyone agrees that Dark Riders and Shades are awesome, cheap (for Elves) shooty units. But with T3 for every model, it's hard to play defensively with your melee troops.

The shields come with three patterns; the skull with wings, a snake with flames sprouting from its' back, and a cool, old-school plain skull.

There are plenty of threads in this section where units and tactics have been debated; for a more detailed view of the Druchii, why don't you have a look in them?

Attila
    Worshipper of Dice
    Last game: Victory Dark Elves vs High Elves & Orcs & Goblins
    WDL: Dark Elves:37/6/8 Space Marines:7/3/3

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with rork i wouldnt buy anything DE until august when you know what units you will want and if you can play a defensive DE army effectively(not saying that you cant now but IMO not the most effective option.)

+ Reply to Thread