A beginners questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

A beginners questions

Hello all.
    With the new WD released I've been reading some about the new Dark Elves and found them fascinating, even to the degree that I'm even considering starting playing them.
    The most interresting thing about them is their raids, and the story of them shipping off to kill, pillage and capture slaves. I think I want to make such an army.

My questions are:
    1. How independently can Corsairs operate. How do you use them?
    2. How powerfull are the Cold One knighs exactly? Do they need support from the Dark Riders?
    3. How do you use Dark Elf characters/special characters?
    4. Are monsters considerable, which and why?
    5. I got like 4 Reaper Bolt Throwers lying around somewhere. Should I use them?
    6. How strong is Dark Elf magic, and how do you use it?
    7. How would you construct an efficient and gamewinning Dark Elf Raiding force?

I would like an army made up mostly by Corsairs and Cold one knights, but is that doable and competitive? Need advice here fellows.

Peace/ Out

Last edited by Mr_Wayne; August 2nd, 2008 at 02:30.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. They can be used in a number of ways.. since they have their cloaks they're better at taking ranged damage than most units and so can be used to shield more fragile units like witch elves. Plus they're good at charging with 2 (3 with their magic banner) attack, re-rolling misses. And if the unit flees they're good at pursuing.
    I'd rather use them together with other units than have them operate independently, though.
    2. Their AS is great so many units have a hard time killing them, but outside the charge they can have trouble killing enemies as well. The best way is to have a cauldron or hydra banner near them, so they get double attacks on their charge. Along with causing fear, they can be devastating. As long as you're ready to spend all the points they cost..
    3. Many of their special characters in the 7th rulebook are simply used as champions in regiments.. so they're stuck there, except Malekith (who seems to be über at most situations nowadays) and Morathi, a wonderful supreme sorceress.
    4. WAR HYDRA! Since the 7th edition they're incredibly powerful. 7 attacks if I'm not mistaken, S5 breath attacks if they have all their wounds left, and regenerate. Wonderful.
    5. Why? x) they're really great, but it depends on what army you have and what army you face. Whether you play defensive or offensive, both the hydra and the bolt thrower can be really effective..
    6. Dark elf magic is wonderful! Unlimited power dice, and sacrificing DE warriors gives another D3 dice. And the spells are really powerful, and annoying to face.
    7. I'm not too good at that.. but a couple of dark rider regs is always a good choice. The knights are really expensive in points, so it's hard to win with too many of them. If you want to be quick and annoying, a lot of dark riders and some harpies can do the trick with hit-and-run tactics (or meatshield tactics for the harpies)

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

sounds like you need to go down and buy an army book. That will answer all your questions and more. Hey! they're even supposed to release it today, so you're in luck.

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne View Post

My questions are:
    1. How independently can Corsairs operate. How do you use them?
    If they have the frenzy banner they can hold on there own for a bit agaisnt another basic infantry unit, but the whole idea of the army is that there are no even combats and every battle that is fought is in the dark elves favor. So I use my corasirs just like spearmen, they hold down a unit and I flank said unit with dark riders or a hammer unit.
    2. How powerfull are the Cold One knighs exactly? Do they need support from the Dark Riders?
    They are pretty good, S6 on the charge, S4 mounts makes for quite the hammer unit, but I rarely send them unsupported, unless its a weak unit or a tempting flank(no head on charges for the most part)
    3. How do you use Dark Elf characters/special characters?
    they are sprinkles on the cake, they add punch where it is needed, typically in a cold one knight unit in my lists ( i rarely take mages) or mabey Ill stick a highborn on a dragon but that competly changes the focus of the list( now everything must support the character rather then the other way around) I recomend Malus darkblade for a general in 1500 ish games as his combat skills are second to none in that point level and the ability for non stupid cold ones is quite liberating.
    4. Are monsters considerable, which and why?
    Dragons are doable but as mentioned change the force quite a bit, Ive never used a manticore but they are like sun dragons i guess, and the new hydra is incredible and Ive heard some great things about them
    5. I got like 4 Reaper Bolt Throwers lying around somewhere. Should I use them?
    I use 2 they dont do a ton of damage but my opponents tend to fear them, any more and you might run out of space to deploy them or targets to shoot at.
    6. How strong is Dark Elf magic, and how do you use it?
    As I said before I dont use magic much, but everyone says that it is one of the better lores and looking at the spell list I cant say I disagree.
    7. How would you construct an efficient and gamewinning Dark Elf Raiding force?
    yeah you can, Id suggest something like this

Highborn on cold one
    Malus darkblade
    Caddy

20 spears with warbanner(or corsairs)
    20 corsairs with frenzy banner
    5 dark riders with Xbows
    5 dark riders with Xbows

5 cold one knights
    5 cold one knights

RBT
    RBT

and mabey a hydra if you have points,

all leftovers should go into getting command on your units and a seal of ghrond.
    I would like an army made up mostly by Corsairs and Cold one knights, but is that doable and competitive? Need advice here fellows.

Peace/ Out
    I hope it helped and feel free to PM me with more questions.

+ Reply to Thread