Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
With the new WD released I've been reading some about the new Dark Elves and found them fascinating, even to the degree that I'm even considering starting playing them.
The most interresting thing about them is their raids, and the story of them shipping off to kill, pillage and capture slaves. I think I want to make such an army.
My questions are:
1. How independently can Corsairs operate. How do you use them?
2. How powerfull are the Cold One knighs exactly? Do they need support from the Dark Riders?
3. How do you use Dark Elf characters/special characters?
4. Are monsters considerable, which and why?
5. I got like 4 Reaper Bolt Throwers lying around somewhere. Should I use them?
6. How strong is Dark Elf magic, and how do you use it?
7. How would you construct an efficient and gamewinning Dark Elf Raiding force?
I would like an army made up mostly by Corsairs and Cold one knights, but is that doable and competitive? Need advice here fellows.
Last edited by Mr_Wayne; August 2nd, 2008 at 02:30.
"The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"
1. They can be used in a number of ways.. since they have their cloaks they're better at taking ranged damage than most units and so can be used to shield more fragile units like witch elves. Plus they're good at charging with 2 (3 with their magic banner) attack, re-rolling misses. And if the unit flees they're good at pursuing.
I'd rather use them together with other units than have them operate independently, though.
2. Their AS is great so many units have a hard time killing them, but outside the charge they can have trouble killing enemies as well. The best way is to have a cauldron or hydra banner near them, so they get double attacks on their charge. Along with causing fear, they can be devastating. As long as you're ready to spend all the points they cost..
3. Many of their special characters in the 7th rulebook are simply used as champions in regiments.. so they're stuck there, except Malekith (who seems to be über at most situations nowadays) and Morathi, a wonderful supreme sorceress.
4. WAR HYDRA! Since the 7th edition they're incredibly powerful. 7 attacks if I'm not mistaken, S5 breath attacks if they have all their wounds left, and regenerate. Wonderful.
5. Why? x) they're really great, but it depends on what army you have and what army you face. Whether you play defensive or offensive, both the hydra and the bolt thrower can be really effective..
6. Dark elf magic is wonderful! Unlimited power dice, and sacrificing DE warriors gives another D3 dice. And the spells are really powerful, and annoying to face.
7. I'm not too good at that.. but a couple of dark rider regs is always a good choice. The knights are really expensive in points, so it's hard to win with too many of them. If you want to be quick and annoying, a lot of dark riders and some harpies can do the trick with hit-and-run tactics (or meatshield tactics for the harpies)
sounds like you need to go down and buy an army book. That will answer all your questions and more. Hey! they're even supposed to release it today, so you're in luck.