Querying the Assassin - overpowered or misunderstood? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Querying the Assassin - overpowered or misunderstood?

Looking at the Assassin, you cannot turn round and say that he is a potential game breaking character, paticularly against armies like VC and LM who need their general alive.

However depending on how you interpret his rules might let him off the hook. Now been able to stay hidden, gain extra attacks at WS 9, have killing blow is nasty enough but we'll let him off for now.

THe issue is what happens with attacking characters as normally you have to issue a challenge etc, but a fight tonight had the opponent simply saying nope I can break out and attack your general and you can do nothing about it..................now that is broken by miles IF that is true. I always thought you could reject a challenege by moving your leader to the back rank, because to be honest with the Assassins mass attacks, high WS and killing blow he is able to insta-gib 99% of all heroes and lords in the entire game with no chance of retaliation.

Now i hope that the rules were simply mis-understood and the opposing hero can get out of the way somehow coz otherwise you've got a broken cheap unit there, not to mention that VC will never win against DE again as their general will simply get gibbed!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Regular challenge rules apply. You could also accept the challenge with a unit champion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you're saying there was no challenge issued? In the case of no challenge, any models can direct their attacks at any other models they are in base contact with. So, if his assassin appears in his front rank conveniently across from the Character, then the assassin can simply direct his attacks at the character. However, in this case, he is still vulnerable to attack from the rest of the unit directing their attacks back at him. Unless I'm interpreting what happened in this game incorrectly, I think that is perfectly legal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be totally honest i do not run assains as they are not that good, if anything they are a one trick poney. once revealed they are really vulnerable with toughness 3 no save and only two wounds . They can be good at killing characters but with the killing blow item and the d3 extra attacks item they become very expensive something like 150/ 160 points, they will not kill emeny characters 99 per cent of the time- a fair few heroes/ lords have ward saves , if he does not score a killing blow his normal strength of four will not get through alot of armour / toughness.

This is just my opinion so do not take offence
    Wood elf player- 2000 points worth, Autumn theme
    Empire player - 3000 points worth, Green and white
    Eldar player - 1500 points worth, Blue and white

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Chris hits the nail on the head. If the assassin screws it up, he's toast. While he could killing blow a vampire or somesuch, it's far from guaranteed and in the face of a decent armour and/or ward save save even more so.

Assassins are a nasty shock, but they're not broken.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course hes scary, tooled up right hes got 5-7 attacks with hatred and killing blow. What bugs people is that they dont know where he's at. Most people will see that kind of charcter and make sure there general is no where near him. But when you dont know where hes at its a different story. Most times your enemy gets the charge on you there not worried about some guy poping up and KOing there Vamp lord in one quick fury of attacks. But then thats part of the game, I've been screwed plenty of times because i didnt know what magic items my enemy had. Pluss assassins commonly cost over 150 points for one guy with T3 and no armour, but you dont see us crying when he's torn to peaces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Ok while I do admit, Lords that are usually valuble have a type of armor or ward save that it pretty decent, look at it this way. With 6 attacks, the chance of hitting and KB a WS8 T5 lord and then him failing a 4+ ward save is a 22% chance. Now its getting late at night here, and I havn't gone to school in a while, so my math may be off. But to me those odd seem pretty decent. Now, if I wanted to really kill something and make sure it dies, theres no better alternative than Shadowblade. But I'd only use him if I wanted to kill something like Grimgor or Karl Franz. Otherwise he's not worth his points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I did not understand. It's 50%. He passes ward. Or he does not.

WS vs. 8 = 2/3*6=4 Re-rolls: 2/3*2=1,(3)

5,(3)*1/6=0,(. And that's something you can rely on, as on killing model with first hitting balista shot. No, balista shot has lesser chance of killing, sorry.

The only problem is Ward. However, on smaller games it rarely exist. Nevertheless, YOU control assasin and you can make him face opponent you want. You know which characters have Ward, and your enemy does not know where Assasin is (this is also in particular why assasins are worth Shading).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically your hero and lord has no chance of withstanding the attacks from an assassin. Thats more than a one trick pony thats an insta gib general killer. Against VC thats basically game over before you start the game as they don't have ranged capability. Somewhat ground breaking.

Ward saves are rarely significant though. At best most armies end up with 5+ ward saves. The sheer amount of attacks the assassin puts out, with killing blow with eternal hatred means that he will wipe out any hero/lord short of a lizardman toad without any issues whatsoever.

Thats broken!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how the assassin is "broken." A lot of people have already mentioned that he does cost roughly the same number of points as an entire unit of warriors. Furthermore, he can't take a punch - period. Yes, he's got a fair number of attacks but most "big" heroes you'd want to spend the large number of points for an assassin have high toughness, good armor save, and a good ward save. Even with six attacks (which is a lot even with the rune of khaine) there's a good chance they won't get the 2+ wounds nessisary to kill your general. The unlikelyhood of this is magnified if oyu mount your general on something big and scary like a dragon. In the case of VC, some of their lord level heroes are quite tough to kill and some even return from the dead (von Carstein? I forget his name).

In the end, it's a risky gambit for the DE player; you kill their general and you score - otherwise you wasted 150 pts on a soft target for the enemy.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing. Even if you kill their general, that doesn't mean you've won the game. You've still got the rest of the army to face. Admitedly, you've taken a big chunk of VP, but still...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast