The Role of Warriors? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Role of Warriors?

Hey again - I've got a bunch of DE stuff on order, and picked up the army book a few days ago. As I've been browsing through the different unit selections and reading various forums, etc., and I've been sort of conflicted when it comes to warriors. They're cheap, somewhat survivable from missile fire, and a good place to stick a sorceress with a dagger. That's really neat, but given that they're best when on the defensive, it seems to go against the grain of the DE army as a whole.

My question is, do you tend to take more than a single large block of warriors, or do you prefer to take blocks of corsairs instead?

What do you see the role of warriors as in the DE army?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well as offensive as a army can be it still (most of the time) need some kind of static CR that can hold enemy units so that you more elite units can flank and kill them off. DE have 3 units suited for this task. The best is obviously the Black Guard with hag banner and stubborn it will very rarely brake. 2nd IMO is hand weapon + shield warriors as they are dirt cheap and can take a beating. Make that unit 25+ and throw in a BSB with dread banner and you have a unit that can win by just standing there. 3rd is Corsairs as they hare more expensive than warriors and survivability is about the same. They are better offensively but I rather have them as flankers.

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That makes a lot of sense. Like I've mentioned in other threads, my only other experience with Warhammer is as a Wood Elf general, and in my army I've never used any blocks of eternal guard, so it has a very different playstyle. I'm really, really looking forward to building this DE army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I see them there are two ways to use them with great effect:

You can make a unit of 25-30 with warbanner. Thats quite hard to beat already and only costs around 200 points. Then put an assassin in it, to make it close to unbeatable. Finally put a sorceress in it to sacrifice for magic and lure the enemy onto charging the "weak" regiment with a +6 static bonus and an assassin with tons of first hits!

Second, you can use the spearmen to make lots of "detachments". DE are quite few in numbers and 3 groups of 10 spearmen are dead cheap and can provide support when you get outnumbered.

+ Reply to Thread