DE Converstion Ideas? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DE Converstion Ideas?

Now that I've got a fairly established DE army, I'm looking to the future for ideas about how to add some originality to an army (and, perhaps, save some money!). Does anyone have any cool convertion ideas they've tried or seen? Here are some things I'm looking for:

> Dreadlord on Black Dragon
    > Alternate Sorcerer / Sorceress models
    > Dreadlord / Master on foot
    > Dark Riders

Some ideas I've heard include using the High Elf dragon kit plus a Cold One Knight to make a Dragon mounted Dreadlord. I've also thought about ordering a Carnosaur and Zombie Dragon Wings from the online store and making a custom dragon that way. With that second option, my big concern is my lack of skill with GS and fears that the scale will be off. For the Dark riders, a lot of people have mentioned using Wood Elf Glade Riders, but the riders are very off from Dark Elves in appearance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does it have to be GW models?

> Dreadlord on Black Dragon (Carnosaur, make neck longer and with balorg wings, or if you have loads of cash The confrontation Titan dragon, in case that is too big here's the normal sized dragon)
    > Alternate Sorcerer / Sorceress models (from gamezone minis - on pegasus, avatars of war, scroll down - on foot)
    > Dreadlord / Master on foot (avatars of war, scroll down - on foot)
    > Dark Riders (from Gamezone minis - look at the light cav units or convert from WE glade riders)
    Last edited by zhaf; September 15th, 2008 at 01:53.

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should be starting on some Dark Riders from Glade Riders soon enough. I used a reaper model named Terezinya, Goth Sorceress as an alternate Sorceress model. I cut off her hand and replaced it with a Corsair sword which I used some putty to add flames to make it look like she was casting Flaming Sword of Rhuin. I was quite pleased with the model, I hope I can paint her halfway decent. :/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Look to the new Slaanesh hero as an example for a Dreadlord on foot, he certainly looks the part. Else how about using the Archon from the Dark Eldar range, with weapon swaps? He is spiky enough, and has a stretched skin mask over his face, so is gruesome enough as well. I also cxhecked my model last night - he has no technology on him apart from the scissor hands and the pistol, so you could quite conceivably make him into a Fantasy close combat monster (e.g. give hin a halberd from the Black Guard, and then you have a great model as a Commander of the Black Guard...

Similalrly, Lilth Hesperax and Cruellagh the Vile could make nice models for Witch Elf Hag Queens (I am going to convert Cruellagh to be a Blood Bowl Witch Elf, and the Wych Succubus to be the team manager, with the whip etc!)

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

> Dreadlord on Black Dragonguy I know used the carnosaur with dragon wings and it looks really good. He's had the army for years, so all his cold one knights and dreadlords/nobles are dragon princes painted appropriately.
    > Alternate Sorcerer / Sorceress models I used a leftover empire wizard and VC sorceror from the corpsecart for my sorcerors. I added dark elf items as needed
    > Dreadlord / Master on footI converted my from a high elf legs and corsair torso with a dragon head to make sure he had the SDC. Lots of options here.
    > Dark RidersI used the base of the WE GR but used DE torsos and spear/Xbow arms with necron heads. Greenstuff for the hoods. They are appropriately dark and scary. I added dark eldar claws and decorations to make the horses different as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

That's given me an idea! Using the DE army list to make an army from the Heyday of Caledor!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, fist post here (probably should pop in and say hi elsewhere), but here goes with my 2c.

Dark Riders.
    <inane story>
    While building my army lists I use abbreviations. To a degree.
    SO Dark Elf becomes DElf, Black Ark Corsair bcomes BACorsair etc.
    So, imagine my shock when Dark Rider became DRider.
    Anyone familiar with the AD&D dark elves will know a Drider! Half Drow, half spider.
    </inane story>

So, in short, I took some gobbo spider riders, and some dark elf cannon fodder, and mounted the Dark eLf torsos on the Spider.
    Dark Elf Riders with a difference!

Certainly grants an amount of WTF when they form up on the battlefield.
    (And as a side effect I have a unit of disposable greenies to use as bait / fodder / allies in bigger battles when I'm struggling to make up the PV.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by zhaf View Post
    does it have to be GW models?

> Dreadlord on Black Dragon (Carnosaur, make neck longer and with balorg wings, or if you have loads of cash The confrontation Titan dragon, in case that is too big here's the normal sized dragon)
    > Alternate Sorcerer / Sorceress models (from gamezone minis - on pegasus, avatars of war, scroll down - on foot)
    > Dreadlord / Master on foot (avatars of war, scroll down - on foot)
    > Dark Riders (from Gamezone minis - look at the light cav units or convert from WE glade riders)

Thos Gamezone miniatures are excellent, but so blatantly Games Workshop it's even surprising they are allowed to continue trading....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, one more thing. I'm also looking for something cheaper than the Harpie models. Chaos furies have come to mind, but I'm really hoping for an alternative that won't make people scratch their heads when I put them on the table - cheaper the better.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by AVS Agent View Post
    Ah, one more thing. I'm also looking for something cheaper than the Harpie models. Chaos furies have come to mind, but I'm really hoping for an alternative that won't make people scratch their heads when I put them on the table - cheaper the better.
    If you look online a lot of times you can find a D&D
    or mageknight miniature that you can get for 30-50 cents. I've used several for different units and like I said, they cost a lot less and all you need to do is glue them to a base.

Right now for my harpies, I'm using the wings from a mage knight figure attached to some kroot models that I got inexpensively. IMO they look tons better than the GW harpies.

Some of the Gamezone stuff is amazing, but I don't know how you'd justify spending that much on fast cav units. I've got 2 units of 5 and that would be around $120 for me with shipping and everything.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast