Tournament Army Restrictions - need help with army-building. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Tournament Army Restrictions - need help with army-building.

Okay, so as the title says, in February I'm planning on going to a tournament which has several restrictions on army lists in order to make the competition more interesting. I'm relatively new to Dark Elves, which is the army I intend to take, so I thought I'd ask you guys for some help.

Restrictions relevant to Dark Elves are:

2250 Points
    No special characters.
    No more than 2 (two) of the same SPECIAL choice.
    No more than 1 (one) of the same RARE choice.
    No more than 3 (three) units that can fly.
    No more than 3 (three) chariots.

There are a whole bunch of magic restrictions too, which I feel justifies a whole thread to itself. For now I'm basically canvassing for people's thoughts on what would be good or bad units to take to such a tournament and what to use them for.

Thanks.

GS

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just remember that two Bolt Throwers is one Rare choice. Otherwise, this doesn't sound too restrictive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

That doesn't look too restrictive at all. As BadMartialArtist said, RBT's are 2 for one, and let's face it 4 RBT's isn't going to win a lot of friends.
    It is still more than possible to create a solid and even rather powerful list with these restrictions - provided the restrictions on magic allow it I suppose.
    What are they by the way? And are the restrictions for every army, or do certain armies have individual restrictions?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Those don't sound too bad, but I expect the magic rules to be quite debilitating (thank Khaine for PoD).

Rares are sorted: RBTs and Hydra.
    Flyers? I'd take cheapo harpies or a dark peggy if you've got a proppa Sorceress.
    Specials? Black Guard are always nice, Shades are solid, and you rarely field more than 2 units of COKs anyway.
    3 chariots? No problem there

If magic is severely restricted, I'd forgoe it all together and take the Ring of Hotek and some Null Shards, maybe a caddy, and focus on beating people to death with their own skulls.

At least assassins aren't limited...
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

Magic then.

Casting:
    You can only use 9 (nine) PD per turn (thankfully, dice generated by PoD do not reduce this number - but any generated by the Sacrificial Dagger do!). Any "free" dice (e.g. Warpstone Tokens, 2nd Gen. Slann DO count).
    The 1st Bound Spell in the army reduces this number by 1. Each subsequent Bound Spell reduces it by a further 2.

Dispelling:
    You can only use 8 (eight) DD per turn.
    Each Dispel Scroll in the army reduces this number by 1 (one) (e.g. an army with 4 Dispel Scrolls can only use 4 DD per turn). EDIT: MR dice do not count towards this limit.

There are some other rules for Tomb Kings etc, but mostly it's just a bunch of confusing dice limits.

I'm leaning towards not bothering with magic at all.

EDIT:

It occurs to me that some of the restrictions affecting other armies may be worth knowing:

No more than: 3 ratling guns (Skaven), or 6 Fanatics (O&G).
    Treemen Ancients count as Treemen for purposes of the Rare choices ruling.

GS
    Last edited by Vespasian; October 14th, 2008 at 21:50.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

In that case, Ring of Hotek is your friend

Of course, since PoD is not limited, you could go crazy with the Black Staff and PoD spam to overpower your enemies' defenses. Does using a scroll increase the number of DD you can use? If I had 2 scrolls I could use 6 DD, but if I used one scroll could I use 7 DD or still 6?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army resrictions arent very bad at all and easily worked around. If you feel the magic restrictions are too much then go with combat characters insted with the Ring of Hotek and maybe a lvl 1 with 2 Scrolls and the Seal of Ghrond.

Character options arent too hard, Personally I think the flying lord/master is always a good choice and you have several choices there. You can go with the Dreadlord on Dragon/Manticore, You could try the BSB on manticore (Ive seen it done with the standard of slaughter and work very well), or one of my favourites, the Master on the Peg.

For core you can pick whatever you want, id probly take some spearmen, 2 units of rxb's and some dark riders/harpies.

For special you can easily mix and match your choices with BG, Shades or CoK's which are all strong units.

And for Rares well taking the usuall 2 RBT's and a Hydra is still doable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Does using a scroll increase the number of DD you can use? If I had 2 scrolls I could use 6 DD, but if I used one scroll could I use 7 DD or still 6?
    Sadly, your DD limit is reduced for the whole game, even if you use all your scrolls early on. I think this is to make them a more valuable commodity, and to make you think more about how many to take and what to use them for.

In terms of units, I was thinking of something like this:

Core
    25 Spearmen
    20 Corsairs
    10 RXBs
    2 x 5/6 Harpies (skirmish screen for BG and Corsairs)
    5 DR

Special
    14 BG (Stubborn centre - with standard of Hag Graef + BSB/Warbanner?)
    2 x 6 CoKs
    (5/6 Shades?)

Rare
    Hydra
    1 RBT

I've not even thought about a proper army list or characters yet, but does this seem like a decent mix?

GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

I think you need more Dark Riders and another RBT, maybe instead of the 2nd unit of COKs. Otherwise it looks solid.

And that DD limitation is painful, PoD would walk all over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

It looks like there are fairly good odds of being up against other DE's at the tourney. There are 8 Dark Elf players out of 37 sign-ups so far, with 21 further "To Be Confirmed" - which probably means there will be a bunch more than 8 Dark Elf armies there.

Do you think a lot of players will be taking magic-heavy armies to blast through the DD with PoD?

Seems like a good way to go, now that I think about it some more.

GS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast