Getting into fantasy DE - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting into fantasy DE

SO to start i'm just getting into fantasy and i am between VC and DE

For a DE army i was hoping to go with a beast mastered army.

I want to field dreadlord on top a black dragon and master on top a maticore. Crossbowmen for sure and maybe warriors or guard to protect them. Harpies would be nice along iwth cold one knights.THe maybe halfand half hydra and bolt throwers. I like the beastys alotmy favorite part of the DE army lol so want them to be a big part of the fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

And
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Have you thought of how many pts you wonna play with? A dragon is expensive in 2K battles, i would use it in minimum 2250pts battles. Remember that a master on a manticore takes up 2 hero choices, so if you're playing 2000-2999 pts battles, you have used 1 lord (DL) and 2 heroes from master on manticore restricting you to only 1 hero left.
    This last character could be a sorceress lvl 1, with 2 scrolls as caddy against magic heavy armies.. If you give the RIng of Hotek to the master he can fly around and mess up enemy magic, and with the scrolls and some null talismans you can acutally field a rather magic defensive list

I, too, am beginning to open my eyes for manticores. I actually like the model alot and just got it very cheap, so I might consider using it. I have considered giving the master on manticore the deathpiercer for even more killingblow attacks (may talk about this weapon so why not try it ), the Ring of Hotek for antimagic, and full mundane armour = SDC, HA, Shield. Im not sure whether you get a 6+ armour save when mounted on monsters, (please enlighten me) but if you dont he will nonetheless have AS of 3+ in CC and 2+ against shooting that is pretty nice..

Oh and btw... choose Dark Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    Hell, I even just copied the name from And - so it's all his fault! :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by mastercats View Post

I want to field dreadlord on top a black dragon and master on top a maticore. Crossbowmen for sure and maybe warriors or guard to protect them. Harpies would be nice along iwth cold one knights.THe maybe halfand half hydra and bolt throwers. I like the beastys alotmy favorite part of the DE army lol so want them to be a big part of the fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by And View Post
    Remember that a master on a manticore takes up 2 hero choices, so if you're playing 2000-2999 pts battles, you have used 1 lord (DL) and 2 heroes from master on manticore restricting you to only 1 hero left.
    Actually the Combo of a Dreadlord on Dragon, and a Master on Manticore uses all your charecter choices in 2000-2999

Also remember that in 2000-2999 it is possible to field a hydra AND 2 RBT's
    The Camden Brigade
    Do good things, good things happen. Do bad things, and kharma hits you with a car.
    20 Bucks. Eat it; Ride it; Hump it. I don't care. - Earl J. Hickey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Using a Dragon Lord and Manticore Hero would use up all your character slots, so you may have some trouble with magic defense. Null Talismans and the Ring of Hotek will help a lot, as will sending speedy units like Dark Riders, Harpies, and Shades to assassinate wizards. You could run your Master on a Cold One in order to fit a scroll caddy for magic defense.

For a beast-heavy list, Dark Riders, Harpies, Cold Ones, and Hydras are order of the day. That will give you a very speedy army with not so many models. Lots of fun, if a tad expensive.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha actually, you have 1 lord and 4 hero at 2k+, lord on dragon is 1 lord slot and 1 hero slot, the master on the manticore is 2 hero slots, you have 1 hero slot left you could use for a sorceress, haha And forgot to mention the dragon being a hero slot.
    Beer, Pipes, and Guns... Dwarves had the right idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Grungni View Post
    haha actually, you have 1 lord and 4 hero at 2k+, lord on dragon is 1 lord slot and 1 hero slot, the master on the manticore is 2 hero slots, you have 1 hero slot left you could use for a sorceress, haha And forgot to mention the dragon being a hero slot.
    Until you get to 3k+ you can only use a total of 4 character slots.
    The Camden Brigade
    Do good things, good things happen. Do bad things, and kharma hits you with a car.
    20 Bucks. Eat it; Ride it; Hump it. I don't care. - Earl J. Hickey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops, sorry, they reworded it in the new book, i understand it better haha.
    Last edited by Grungni; October 24th, 2008 at 23:09.
    Beer, Pipes, and Guns... Dwarves had the right idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well itsa beast themed army it would need to be leg by symbols of beast mastery. Thats why i'd take Lord+dragon and master+manticore. I'd probly only run riders, harpies, cold one knights, chariots, and war hydras.

i'm unsure if i should give all or most riders shields and bows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bows and Shields

get xbows because then they still keep there fast cav rule unless you want to have a hard hitting unit get both so they can remove a rank. BUT STILL I WOULD RECOMMEND COLD ONE IF YOU WANT A HARD HITTING UNIT! but if you are going to place a master or dreadlord that unit then give them shields as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I don't have the book with me, but if the lord takes the manticore it doesn't take up a hero slot right? If so then you could take both the master and the dreadlord on manticores and still have space for a scroll caddie. This makes the lord's mount easier to kill but with another manticore, two hydras and a unit or two of CO knights, the opponent will have a lot of choice to shoot at, and with lots of fast moving units like dark riders and harpies, I wouldn't worry about shooting too much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast