Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Al righty gents. Some time ago I decided to get myself a Hydra for my army, but since the new one was way to expensive, and since I suddenly got 3 6.ed Hydras very cheap, i decided to make a conversion out of it - but soon AND was to find out that converting a Hydra was not going to be easy.. (anyone seen that south park episode? )
Ah, well, but seriously.. The main idea was to make the old Hydra model larger, as the new one looked like a towering monster. The old one on the other hand was way smaller and looked like a unlucky snake with erected pancakes as heads... I knew that i could not make the model itself looking any different - simply because I didnt (and still dont) had the skills...
SO... it was going to be larger! I had a few seconds or hours before stumbled across some pics of the new Star Dragon model, and immediately fell in love with it('s base!!!).. I said to myself (not litterally) that i wanted the Hydra to climb this piece of rock (as some of you might have seen in the HE forum on this site), so the main problem was the simple equation: 1 Hydra plus 1 piece of rock equals....????
I began to draw some sketches, and this is what came out of it:
This was the easy part actually.. I just recieved the rock per mail today, so today i threw my self into alot of bending and drilling, to make my Hard Rock Hydra..
(more to come - stay tuned!)
Okay, more pics!
I started the project by cutting the top of the cliff/rock away. I did this because a part of the rock was missing since it originally is placed on the right foot of the Star Dragon - I only bought the rock itself, so to get rid of this empty socket i cut away the rest to get a flat top:
Here you see the rock put together(not glued though) and the Hydra in pieces - my humle workstation..
The piece that I cut away was further cut, so it fitted atop the rock for a decent "peak":
With the rock glued and BSed (Brown stuffed) to the base I began to drill holes and add pins for the feet of the Hydra:
With this done the legs could stand on their own I could concentrate on the body..
The heads and necks werent curly enough, so I had to bend them and hammer them so they fitted (never thought my hammer EVER was to get close to my warhammer models)
I hate gluing metal, but in the end the necks was sitting where they should (except for one that still isnt attached.
This is what it looks like now:
Please let my know what you think so far any comments are welcome!
looking good keep up the good work
Wood elf player- 2000 points worth, Autumn theme
Empire player - 3000 points worth, Green and white
Eldar player - 1500 points worth, Blue and white
Thank you both for comments I ran out of glue yesterday, so i cant continue right now but later to day.
As for painting im thinking of painting the hydra the same colours as my cold ones and sea dragon cloaks to keep a unified theme.. This means that the hydra will be dark green and bleached green on the belly etc.. I am not sure though, if a green hydra would look cool.. so maybe black (or VERY dark green)..
I used some brown stuff to creater some rocks and stones direclty under the feet. look cool enough imo..
and the model so far. the front legs are not glued on:
wow. 144 people have seen my thread and only 2 have commented
Come on people I know you're there..
I still dont have any glue, so i just continued the work on the base; some pva glue and GW gravel later:
I marked the foot of the Hydra so sand didnt get on the area that it is supposed to stand on. When dry, Im gonna spray it black and hopefully someday get it painted grey (the rock).. I dont have any grey paints, so I have to wait for a pal to want to paint models someday (so I can steal some grey)
Sorry, I didn't comment before with lack of time
I've been having fun Green Stuffing my Hydra and using Neodymium Magnets on the necks to hold them in place.
Was considering keeping the heads detachable so I can keep track of wounds easier, I may still do that as I haven't played around with it in a while.
I haven't even considered what to put on the base though!
What are the advantages of Brown Stuff and what exactly is it?
That is an excellent twist on a well know model - I like it alot. Thank you for posting a link to this in the 'projects' forum, I don't think I'd have ever seen it if you didn't.
I especially like the way you got the Hydra's heads snaking around the rock - looks very cool. Can't wait to see this sucker finished and painted up.
There doesn't look like there will be any room, but I do have a suggestion for you - you could put a model (maybe on empire trooper, or a goblin) on the opposite side of the rock from the hydra, as if he is cowering in terror and hiding from the beast. I don't know what model you could use, but it might look good.
I look forward to seeing the progress this Hydra makes. Excellent job matey!