Help, new to DE not sure where to start - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Help, new to DE not sure where to start

I've been playing 40K for over 3 years now and its a lot of fun but Fantasy has always intrigued me and appears to be more popular in the area so I snatched up the Dark Elves army book a few weeks ago since I like the look of the models, and I like the idea of aggressive magic and since I play Chaos and Daemons in 40K I wanted to do something a little different in Fantasy.

As I said I love the magic so it should be no surprise that I want to try my hand at a Ghrond themed army. I'm not to sure how to best theme it but I would like to focus on a more combat and magic heavy army with a couple Sorceresses and a Supreme Sorceress as the general. How would you suggest I go about it? I'm all for just about anything except I'm not a fan of Khainite units (aside from Assassins). Which units should I be looking at, etc?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Lucky for you, just about every unit in the DE army is viable so you really can't make a wrong decision.

Going with the Ghrond theme, I'd go for lots of spearmen, crossbowmen, and Dark Riders for Core. With the close proximity to the Chaos Wastes, Ghrond would have a good deal of trained spear and crossbow units to fight off the tides of lesser beings. Dark Riders relay orders and scout around as normal. Black Guard would fit well as representative of the Witch King. Reapers and Hydras also work well for defense and just being near weird mutaty things respectively.

An infantry based list with emphasis on magic would definitely work. You can center it on a big fighty block of Black Guard with spearmen for cheap combat res, crossbows for extra dakka, and Dark Riders to harass/flank as needed. A particularly nasty set up is a Sorceress with the Sacrificial Dagger in a unit of cheap spearmen, using them to make her magic even more powerful at the cost of a dime-a-dozen spearelf.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Thanks for the reply. The two units I really liked above all else were Black Guard and Dark Riders so it's good to hear they fit in well. Anyways I drafted up a quick 1000 point list taking your advise. Let me know if it's any good and what I should change if anything

Heroes
    Sorceress - 160 Pts
    Level 2 Wizard, Sacrificial Dagger

Sorceress - 172 Pts
    Level 2 Wizard, Darkstar Cloak, Dark Steed

Core
    Repeater Crossbowmen - 115 Pts (10 Models)
    Shields, Musician

Spearmen - 155 Pts (20 Models) Sorceress with Dagger goes here
    Full Command, Shields

Spearmen - 120 Pts (15 Models)
    Full Command, Shields

Dark Riders - 110 Pts (5 Models)

Repeater Crossbows

Special
    Black Guard - 165 Pts (10 Models)
    Full Command

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

This is a very magic heavy list for 1k but you'll love it DE magic on lower point games I find alot of fun. For some reason I tend to leave magic at home on 2k.

Your sorceresses look just fine.

Your Dark riders give these a musician rather then your crossbowmen, you can lure some units in a trap by fleeing with the dark riders. Also the Dark Riders can rally and still shoot that turn so extra help rallying for 7 points is cheap IMO.

I think this list could work and is fun to play, but you'll find that you can't rely on the warriors to much. If they are charged they need to hold at least 1 round of combat in order for the backup to arrive and attack in their flanks.

But if I would suggest a change I would drop the 15 warriors, buff the 20warrior unit up to 25 so that after sacrificing u still have a nice unit left. And with the points spare get a standard of Hag Ghraef (ASF) magic banner for your Black guards, and with the points left get more black guards (just deploy in 2 ranks) 7x2 is commonly used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

aimbob's got the right idea, I was about to suggest the same thing

If you want some more punch in your BG unit, a full command and a Tower Guard with the AP Great Weapon or Crimson Death would be nice.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread