N00b alert: Dark Elf army list, help please! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N00b alert: Dark Elf army list, help please!

Hey guys,

My friends and I used to play WFB and 40k about 8 or 9 years ago and we've recently decided to start playing again. We each decided that we wanted to collect a new army so that we could try new things and so the armies we have are as follows: one guy is playing Goblins, one guy is playing Lizardmen, one is playing High Elves and I'm playing Dark Elves. For the record I used to play as Bretonnia and Chaos.

The last time we played was back in the days of "Hero-Hammer" (or so I'm told) so we're still getting the hang of the new rules. But anyway, I've planned a 1,000pts army list which is given below and I'd appreciate any feedback if anyone has a moment:

1x Master: (141pts)
    -Cold One mount
    -Heavy Armour
    -Shield
    -Hydra Blade

5x Cold One Knights (175pts)
    -Full Command

1x Sorceress (135pts)
    -Level 2

20x Black Ark Corsairs (225pts)
    -Full Command

10x Repeater Crossbowmen (100pts)

5x Shades (96pts)
    -Bloodshade

1x Assassin (121pts)
    -Rune of Khaine
    -Additional Hand Weapon

Total: 993pts

I plan to enlarge the army in time by adding:

19x Spearmen
    -Full Command
    -Shields

1x Assassin
    -Rune of Khaine
    -Additional Hand Weapon

1x War Hydra

2x Reaper Bolt Thrower

6x Harpies

Most of this I already have, I just need the second Bolt Thrower and the Harpies.

My aim is to have part of the army that can hit hard (Cold Ones, Corsairs and Hydra), part that can provide suppressing fire (Crossbowmen and Bolt Throwers) and part that can react to anything as and when it's needed (Shades, Spearmen and Harpies).

What do you think? Does this army stand a chance?

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

That looks like a solid start. I'd recommend simply giving your Master a normal lance and sea dragon cloak. He's cheap but still hits rather hard.

Your Sorceress could use the Darkstar cloak to make her magic even more potent (also capable of getting around those silly HE and their bonus to dispel).

The Corsairs could drop down to 18 (run 6 wide, 3 deep) and a magic banner never hurts (I like the Banner of Murder, Frenzy is too unstable if you've got the Sorceress hiding in there.

The crossbowmen could use a musician, but that isn't a huge necessity.

Shades work exceptionally well with great weapons (WS5, Hatred and S5? Niice!), give it some consideration.

The assassin could use something to make him properly killy. Manbane is cheap and helps immensely against armored foes that Corsairs have problems with.

I'd drop your Master down to full mundane, drop 2 Corsairs, drop the Bloodshade, and get rid of the COK champion to pick up the Darkstar Cloak, Banner of Murder, Manbane, and great weapons. That's a net change of 0 points and should help a lot.

You plans to expand look sound, all I recommend is some Dark Riders. They are one of the most useful units in the army and will help keep your enemy's harassed and at arm's length until you wish to strike.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, my friend.

I've dropped the bloodshade and given the shades great weapons, dropped the master altogether and beefed up the assassin and sorceress a little + added another 10 crossbowmen.

All in all my army is now 996 points with the option to remove corsairs and bring in a magic banner or two. The next 500 points should be bring the master back together with the unit of spearmen and the war hydra.

Now I've just gotta get everything painted by Christmas for our first tournament!

+ Reply to Thread