Cav 1k vs Empire - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cav 1k vs Empire

Ok my army list is as follows

3 Dark Riders x5 with RXB
    3 CoK with full Command x5
    1 Master on Cold One with Lance and Heavy Armor
    Ring of Hotek and Enchanted Shield

Now this is what the empire player is rolling with

Knightly Orders x 5
    Handgunners x10 with Long Rifle
    2 Great Cannons
    2 Level 2 wizards
    Steam Tank

Now will I even have a shot at all with that steam tank in the game? I have only played with the DE's 4 times and not sure how they will do against this type of army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

My gut feeling is that you should be able to get rid of everything else except the steam tank fairly swiftly, and I don't think you'll have too much trouble avoiding said steam tank unless you have some bad luck with Stupidity (or poor positioning - keep your CoK's away from it and flee if it charges your Dark Riders). Don't expose your flanks to the cannons and you should be okay.

If you really want to take out the Steam Tank, try this: give your Noble a Sea Dragon Cloak and a normal Shield instead of the Enchanted Shield to give him better protection from that pesky Long Rifle, and take Caledor's Bane to get the extra strength for taking down the steam tank. Switch the Ring of Hotek to one of the Cold One unit champions to free up the space. If you drop the unit champions from two of the three CoK units and just keep one in the unit with your noble, you should have enough points.

Hope that helps.

V.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I think his wizards and cannons are also real threats, if he uses them right. I'd say take out the wizards and gunners and cannons first (easily killed, I play Empire too). The Steam Tank is quite hard. Maybe take an RBT?
    Worshipper of Dice
    Last game: Victory Dark Elves vs High Elves & Orcs & Goblins
    WDL: Dark Elves:37/6/8 Space Marines:7/3/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ur fecked tbh.... 2 lvl 2 wizards... even if he drops a spell for the 1st spell in any lmagic school that tends to be a magic missle.... with 2 magic missles and 10 handgunners alone he could take out 3 units a turn..... i mean even if you get first turn his second turn will mean 3 of you dark rider units die or get to silly low numbered lvl...... thats not even with the steam tank or his knights or cannons doing anything. the cannons are a bit of a waste in my eyes... 2 is a bit extreme but then again thats 2 COK's dead a turn at worst and limits you mobility a bit

GL id like to see how this fight goes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

You opponents list is quet capable of taking out units before they get to his cannons / wizzards.

Consider taking a unit of harpies. They can take out the warmachine crew of the cannon. But watch out if a single spell goes through on the harpies they're as good as dead.

I'm not sure but if the steamtank is destroyed by a S7 hit then you could try the following:
    Assasin, manbane, rendering stars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about that dropping one of the Dark Rider units and picking up 2 Harpies x5. Just not sure how that will work out. Would give my anti cannon Dark riders some nice screening from magic and such give him hard time with priority targets. Only problem is the deployment for the CoK's. Not sure if I should put them in the middle and spread them out some to go after the Steam Tank or flank them with the other units and take out the other units except the steam tank.

Also should I get rid of the Ring of Hotek and Enchanted shield and get the Pendant of Khaeleth?
    Last edited by Cpeerson2000; December 22nd, 2008 at 12:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Actually, I think this list should do really well. If you win the first turn, you can advance quickly and shoot the crap out of the handgunners and any lone wizards (remember, Fast Cav can march and shoot). Turn two, you can bait the knights and smash the cannons. If you get a charge on the Empire knights with your CoKs, you can simply run around the Stank doing what you want, engaging in your own time.

Deploy slightly out of range of his handguns, so if you lose the first turn, all you have to worry about are the wizards and cannons. The latter shouldn't be too scary.

Your main problem will be those wizards. If you can reduce the magic phase by that much, then it could make the difference as to whether you survive enough to hit home Turn two, or get incinerated in a conflagration of flame.

Personally, I would keep the Ring of Hotek, unless you plan to run your character on his own. Null Talismans (Talismen?) should also help a little, Magic Resistance being rather underrated imho.

But remember that your chief advantage is speed. If you don't end up going first, it will be harder, but fast MSU armies tend to do very well against gunlines like this. If he shoots/blasts something, there's still several more units where that came from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea think I will just drop the 1 Dark RIder unit for 2 Harpy units that way I make him have more targets to deal with. So hopefully I can get them charging on the Artillery and take out/tie up both the cannons and the wizards since they will be joined with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you all underestimate the steamtanks true power, that guy rolls right and the steamtank will get a 1st turn charge kill the unit its in combat with and then continiue to literally run over your army with 4 steampoints it will keep up with your CoKs and with a max of 10 a cannon and flamer it can drop into combats and the fact that with a full 10 steampoints used to charge its doing 11 D3 of S6 impact hits that means a big F U to an always strikes first because impact hits go before always strikes first, oh and 11 D3 is a possiblility of 33 S6 hits needing 2's to wound everything in your army and the only thing that gets a save is the CoKs, i think your best is to harass the tank with dark riders while the cold ones and whatever else kill the rest of his list, because when you look at it the handgunners will not do much, honestly as an expirienced empire player in small numbers like that they will not do much. I guess if your really worried about them and the cannons, just take your master on a manticore or dark pegasi and fly him in there for the kill he will have no trouble killing cannon crew and the unit of gunners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ehhh fight didn't happen the guy changed his army up so no Steam Tank. But I did do a few bone headed things which I have learned from and will have to remember them so far not bad for my 3rd game with DE's and 13 game overall.

Any effective way to take out the cannons? With the fact that there is 24" seperating us at the minimum it will take turn 2 to get to them is it pretty much pointless to go after them unless I go first?
    Last edited by Cpeerson2000; December 27th, 2008 at 12:19.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast