Fighting High Elves and Wood Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fighting High Elves and Wood Elves

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if anyone had any good experiences or ways of fighting against WE or HE

Thanks, dapope

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark elves are more than capable of easily killing either of the two.

Against high elves you can out do them them in all areas.
    my preferred ways of dealing with them are with assassins, as they will strike before the squishy high elves and will completely destroy them. Other than that, well take your pick; our magic is nearly unstoppable when taken in large quantities. Actually you don't even need that much just a lvl 4 with the sacrificial dagger and a lvl 2 with the darkstar.
    High elves are also very weak against shooting as they are tough 3 and have little armor, and so you can just take some dark riders and crossbows. You could also take some RBT but I prefer hydras, as they tend to get the job done more efficiently.
    As I briefly mentioned earlier, assassins can murder high elf units all by himself but you can also use black guard and cold ones. Simply stick the hag graef banner on one of those two, usually works best on black guard, and then you have a high elf killing machine in CC. Cold one knights don't even really need the banner to take down most high elf units, they have enough armor to take on just about everything, although I wouldn't recommend you send them in alone.

So to recap: Against high elves use assassins in CC and then pick your preferred area to own them in, whether it be magic, shooting, CC or all of them, but that usually doesn't work quite as well.

Whats works best for me is a more CC oriented list, with which to mop the floor with them.

Wood elves I have never had a terribly difficult time beating them.
    All WE players that I know of take very heavy magic defense, as is wise considering that it is one of their major weaknesses.
    So I like to switch it up on them and take very little magic. They have now wasted a large portion of their points on magic defense and you have more points available to pour into whatever you so desire. Harpies are especially useful, as they can easily get to the WE and kill them, or rather get shot to pieces very quickly and serve as a cheap distraction.
    Once again i am going to recommend hydras over RBT as hydras will be taking very few if any wounds from shooting or CC. Their breath weapon works wonders on skirmishers and they will shred any unit he has, except for the treeman. The treeman will be a problem, but i normally kill it with regular crossbows, as they have so many shots that they can normally put a wound or two on it a turn.
    As far as wildriders go, shooting and blocked up infantry will see these guys to the graves, actually it works best against WE if you don't have many small units that they can kill and then run and hide. Keep your points in units that are hard to kill or have enough distractions to threaten their army so yours won't suffer.

So to recap: against WE use little magic, but still use some magic defense incase they attempt to go offensive, but it never ends well with WE. Harpies, harpies, harpies (did I mention harpies) these guys are amazing distractions/screens/bait/harbingers of doom against WE. Don't have a ton of really tiny units that they can pick off to get victory points. All of their units are very fragile hit them with anything and they will die.

I normally run a magic light list and normally focus on a balance between very fast CC units (harpies and DRs) and other shooty units, so i can threaten them with immediate doom and while they pick away at my fast units I mow down the rest of their army. I also have solid blocks of infantry and hydras to clean up whatever mess is leftover.

I apologize for my horrible grammar skills.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I´d go with a lot of shooting against WE. Bolthrowers are great vs glade guard, eternal guard, treekin, both sorts of cav and possibly the treeman As for spells if you can target his waywather with a magic missile their toast. I also thin that the spirit of the forge would work wonders aganst the treeman, making him suffer 2d6 S5 no armour saves flaming attacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the input
    i will give both of your suggestions a try
    Thx
    dapope

+ Reply to Thread