Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
What's the general playstyle of dark elves? For example, VC relies on outnumbering, fearing and resurrecting. High Elves' strength I guess is their speed, etc.
What's the Dark Elves' "strong" point in comparison to other armies?
I want a general overview of this army along with VC before I start buying my WHFB models .
If possible also, how would you say DE ranks against other armies (in strength, that is)?
Edit: Read up some battle reports and DE seem to lose a lot of games... any comments on this?
Last edited by ExpansionRod; March 12th, 2009 at 04:45.
I'm also a very new Dark Elf player, but most lists and reports I've seen include alot of different types of units. I guess the strength of the dark Elves is their ability to put pressure on the opponent from all different points and areas of the game. They also happen to have one of the destructive magic phases and a kickass assassin.
Why should you play Dark Elves?
Against other armies
- First off we have HATRED! I love this I tend to roll crappy, with hatred you reroll failed hits in 1st round of CC, this helps out alot! (even the mounts)
- Dark Elves rely on supporting each other unit.
- We have nice shooting; our crossbowmen can fire 2x each with no penalty. Als we have light cav with these repeater crossbows I love them. Or for the big stuff get some bolt throwers.
- We are manouverable.
- Our magic can be strong with as least as 2 level 2 sorceresses possible to generate 6-12 power dice.
- Everything is T3 even the lord. But our heroes can be equiped to last a long time.
1+ save with a 2+ ward save (it's actually a reverse Wsv so a 6=fail on S5 or higher) + regenration. No way he's gonna die soon.
- We have killer cold ones (S4 mounts) with awesome knights on top
- We have a War Hydra he's so awesome. S5 T5 7A 4+ save regen + S5 breath template
- We can go competative, 2 hydras and cold one knights with a BSB that gives all models and mounts +1A will kick ass (12+S4 + 15S6).
I've only played against a few armies I'll tell ya what I experienced:
What you want to hear
- Ogre Kingdoms: very easy to beat
- Empire: relatively easy to beat
- Skaven: can be a pain in the ass with their strong magic but never had to much trouble of beating them
- Brettonians: relatively easy (have to tell you need to know how to handle bretonnian knights army else you're screwed)
- Vampire counts: These are tough but most people think so but I'd say it's probably for them just as hard to beat us as the other way around
You're looking for a answer from someone saying one army is better then the other but you shouldn't listen to that. Look at the advantages of each army at their units their abilities and decide based upon that! ^^ this way you're sure you end up with an army you like.
Last edited by aimbob; March 12th, 2009 at 09:58.
Dark elf Crossbow fire twice without penalty?
Where is that written?
I assumed a DE firing his crossbow has 2 shots that hit on 4s
or 5s at more than 12", and 6s if he moves and fires at target > 12"?
Am I wrong?
Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
I currently play:
Doom Eagle Space Marines
Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
Tau of O'me
Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters
and my attempted foray into fantasy
'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff
Firing RxBs twice still incurs the multiple-shot penalty as normal.
DE are a very flexible army with a little bit of everything in the list. You've got cheap blocks of infantry, hard-hitting knights, fast cav, big monsters, fighty blocks, Ld8 stubborn blocks, fliers, skirmishers, and so on.
DE have very fast units in the majority, allowing you to create the synergy that the army relies so heavily on. Run circles around other armies and set up advantageous charges to offset the average model count and fragility of most units.
DE have awesome magic. Power of Darkness allows even 2 level 2s to dominate the magic phase, and when you go bigger you can steamroll any magic defense.
Hatred is a blessing and a curse, making your combat troops that much better but it can be exploited to get you into bad positions. Use your mobility to protect against it.
DE have awesome fluff. They worship the god of murder. Awesome.
Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com
I agree when everyone says that Dark Elves are a very flexible army.
The way I personally play them is to firstly always make sure that you get the charge off and you should be getting it off due to movement 5. when dark elves get the charge combat that first round really goes in our favor...they will maybe break and you chase them down because we are fasttt. so kick back...shoot at them with xbows and bolt throwers and shoot a ton of magic at them to knock out ranks before close combat begins...get the charge and win
its pretty nice really