Corsairs! Are they worth taking? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Corsairs! Are they worth taking?

from what i have seen with them is that they die easly, cost more pts than warriors and actually do less damige because warroirs spears mean more have to be killed before they get no attacks!

What does everyone make of them am i just using them badly is there good tips on there use?

"Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Gedderz, I'm also strugling with the same thing. I used the corsairs twice and I'm not convinced.

For the same points I field 18 corsairs with command i can field 25 warriors with command and warbanner.

I'm also not convinced about the corsairs. Perhaps any of you DE players can convince us why we should take them.
    :B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, everytime i use them I just can't justify the points I pour into them, espescially when I could get something so much better. The only time i've found them to make up their points is to have a unit of 10-12 models and use that as a flanking unit so I get the slavers special rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey..
    This is a question I've been asked so many times..
    And you simply just don't field Corsairs. Because they are very much Corsairs simply do not seem to make up their point value. But there is one good thing about them. THey have 4+AS against shooting in contrast to the Spearmens 5+. This small difference can make a huge difference on the battlefield if you are playing against a gunline...

You've got to measure your army with your opponents.. Bring Corsairs if he/she brings a gunline.

H@ppy N!nj@.
    Hope your like my advice. GG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I like Corsairs. They put out a lot of attacks with 5+ armor, 4+ vs. shooting, have slavers, and work very well when combined with an assassin or other units.

Spearmen win out as a SCR unit due to their cheapness, but Corsairs work better as an aggressive unit to get ACR through kills. You can also run them as missile screens and flank protection (even better with handbows).

They're much more suited to an aggressive MSU style than spearmen, and I think they work best in tandem.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

My take on Dark Elves is that they are a heavily front-loaded army, meaning they tend to win at the beginning of combat or not at all. Corsairs suffer fewer losses while advancing into combat than warriors, get twice as many attacks on their charge (thus maximizing the effect of hatred) and, if they win combat, have a much higher chance than usual of completely wiping out the enemy. Warriors are fine for defensive use but Corsairs are a better embodiment of Dark Elf tactics.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Bear in mind, if you take the sea serpent standard and line up 7x3, you get 21 attacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take them for what they are... a core unit. They are not going to have the effectiveness of a special unit. You cannot judge a unit on how it does against any enemy but rather you should evaluate their strengths and use that units strengths against enemies that you can exploit them by using those strengths. Against toughness 4 enemies any strength 3 unit won't do well for that matter so you need to try and maneuver corsairs to face T3 enemies so they can take advantage of the many attacks. I run them normally 21 total, 3 ranks of 7 with the Sea Serpent Standard. That's 21 attacks with hatred that will do way more than a warrior group going up against the same enemy regardless of who it is. Even with the fight in two ranks rule they spear men get, it wont be close to that 21 attacks. That being said, take warriors for what they are. They are a cheap unit that I personally take just to fill the required minimum core units required for the point total I am playing in. Whoever thinks that Warriors (spear men) are better than corsairs are just flat out of their mind. I'm not saying they are this amazing unit or anything like that. I'm not trying to make them out to be an uber unit. They are not in fact. They are better than warriors by far though and for a core unit, you cannot complain. I mean, are you complaining about crossbowmen? They cost the same amount per model as a corsair does lol. I think the root of the problem for those who complain about their worth most likely just had placed a higher value on how GOOD of a unit they are. So when they started playing with them they were dissapointed with how well they did in combat. But thats just because they most likely had an innitial impression in their mind that they were better than they actually are.

So, to paraphrase everything... they are very good for a core unit and not expensive but not cheap either. They are fairly priced point wise. They are not so good though to be on equal footing as our special units but they are better than our Warriors (spear men) and can be considered at the top of the latter of our core units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Lokhir has a good point, they are just a core unit. Perhaps we are spoiled by the wonderfulness that is Dark Riders or the usefulness that is sacrificial Warriors that we forget that little fact. That being said they can be very useful as a flanking unit. Taking away the opponents rank bonus and getting to use slavers can be lethal when combined with a good frontal charging hammer unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes lohkir is right. me personally i do not take them because i had a terrible experience with them. i put the sea serpent standard on them and ended up having to charge off somewhere...dominated a unit and then overran into some trees and after i got out 2 turns later i got charged and destroyed. they can be useful but frenzied units=double edged sword. they are good against weaker or equal opponents but otherwise leave them at home

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast