Fighting Vampires - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fighting Vampires

I played a 2000 point game today against a vamp player and got a minor loss. Since i play daemons and have just started/finished my dark elves im getting accused of cheesiness, so i've tried to make my army as balanced as possible without being fluffy.

It has:

-2 lv2 sorceresses, one with darkstar cloak and the other with sac dagger and both with DS

-2 units of 10 xbows and 2 reaper bolt throwers

-5 COK

-dread lord on cold one with caledors bane and pendant of kaeleth

-15 Asf blackguard with str6 halberd and a master w/great weapon, extra dispel dice and blood armour.

-hydra

-20 spearmen

the vamp player had a coach, wraiths, 4 vamps(three of which lord of the dead, one of which with the sword of resurect skellies), unit of skellies with his general and 2 other vamps in it, 13 power dice and what seemed as many bound items as he could manage. He had a load of ghouls and a bsb etc also

I had 5 dispel dice and failed several ld 9/10 fear tests, and every time i dispelled the magic i didnt want to happen he produced a new bound item. the big unit of skellies just got bigger and bigger and whenever i attempted to shoot the unit i caused just enough wounds for him to raise them back (and more) and still cast all the magic that i had trouble stopping.

From what i could tell i made no huge game shattering mistakes, so my question is this: - was i fighting a losing battle from the start or did i just play like a nurk?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Here's how you handle people complaining about cheese. Remove their heads from their lower cavity and replace it with your footwear. Seriously, ignore the scrubs and play somebody worthwhile.

Vampires look nasty at first, but if all they want to do is sit around rezzing units, go ahead and let them. They can't get to you and you can just keep magicking/shooting them all day. Vampires don't shoot, they have poor offensive magic, and that list has no speed.

He can rez skeletons all day, so go after the ghouls and wights, all the while outmaneuvering and whittling away his block of skellies. Black Horror ftw here.

Vampires built for casting suck in combat too, so something like Black Guard with a Master should be able to walk all over them. Great weapon and Pendant = win.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooooohhhhh i see. i was playing too hard, if you catch my drift. i was taking the offesnive, as i did with my daemons and didnt think that i could out maneuver effectively due ro the terrain set up, and the face that i play wood elves also and am used to them bein able to grossly outmaneuver with them.

i will challenge him to a rematch and see how i get on. thanks very much for the advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build your units for Combat Resolution. Vampire Counts never take break test, but the drawback to that is that if you win a Combat Resolution his unit takes wounds for however many points you beat him by. A unit of CoK's can eradicate most of his units the first turn if you get the charge and especially so if you take the Standard of Slaughter with that unit. Characters on flying mounts are nice to hunt down his casters. If you kill his casters then he is basically dead in the water. Vampire Counts RELY on having their magic to raise dead, summon undead hoard, and invocation of naheek. Do not worry about taking magic users yourself. They will have so many dispell dice its a waste in my opinion. Take a dreadlord on a D.Pegasus or a Manticore and give him the lifetaker to help get some wounds when you fly somewhere and cannot charge his characters yet. Since it always hits on a 2+ no matter what, even if you move, its a nice way to guarantee a wound or two even before you get the charge. Also give him the Pendant for protection. I hope this all helped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I played a 2000 point game today against a vamp player
    im getting accused of cheesiness
    These two things in the same sentence make me laugh. Seriously though, do not worry about people calling cheese. Just find others to play against as you probably won't be able to satisfy them unless you bring a list that they can crush. I have not played against Vamps yet so cannot offer any advice in that area. I just saw that first sentence and had to comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah he's right.. either tell them to get over it or play someone else. Games Workshop has been around for over 25 years. If how you played your army was cheesy or if there was any way to play any of the WHFB armies then don't you think Games Workshop would have done something about it? Truth is, every army has been through changes over the years to make things as fair and balanced as possible. I am not going to say its exactly perfect, but come on... 25 years has to have gotten it pretty darn close to fair play for any army. Play your army any way you see fit within the bounds of the rules. Nothing cheesy about that. The previous guy is right.... guys like that will call any list of yours that they cannot obliterate "cheesy." You could always just ask him to make your list for you though lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys i will take this all into acount and see what i can do. its my first big game with the army so im still kinda finding my feet. I tried not to use the dragon to avoid the cheese but i guess ill paint one up for him and see how he deals with that.

And thanks for the cheese comments. makes me feel alot better. btw the two guys accusing of cheese were a vamp player and a WoC player who takes 3 units of knights and a hellcannon lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lolll at the WoC player calling cheese. Like the guy above stated dont listen to anyones cheese comments due to the simple fact that if you beat them they will call cheese. I played the number 4 guy in our bracket who uses vc and I killed his Varguhlf first round and targeted his lord and had him out by round 3. Lore of metal is outrageous you might want to look into it for playing against vc due to the ability to target single models! and another note on the cheese construct a flying circus list so when they do call cheese on your dark elves you can say.."want to play my flying circus list!?" thattt would make me lol

Zei
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop playing so cheesey! nah only kidding - i found the best way for me 2 beat vamps was to Smash them 1 unit at a time and challenge with a dreadlord and assasin to take out vamps and if he declines there will be alot of casualties that he wont be able to bring back enuff in time! - and always go for the non resurrecting units 1st with shooting,magic for some free victory points. I myself got a rematch today after i got a solid victory so gl for both of us

+ Reply to Thread