Massacred by Wood Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

Massacred by Wood Elves

Sadly, my beloved dark elves didn't fair so well against my friend's Wood Elf army. I'm working up a battle report, but was wondering how to counter all that ranged firepower. His three units of archers really brought the pain. The other thought I had was this: Why don't the Dark Elves hate the Wood Elves as much as the High Elves? That always re-rolls misses sure would be handy!

(WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

essentially they dont hate the wood elves, because the wood elves were not responsible for kicking the Druchii off of Ulthuan.
    The Camden Brigade
    Do good things, good things happen. Do bad things, and kharma hits you with a car.
    20 Bucks. Eat it; Ride it; Hump it. I don't care. - Earl J. Hickey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, wood elves were already in athel loren before the whole Dark elf sundering thingy.

You still get hatred in the first round of combat, which is very strong, and while they will hit more with their shooting, you should be getting alot more shots per turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to beat the Wood Elves at their own game? The Reaper Bolt Thrower has to be pretty powerful using the Volley ability, 6 shots S4 AS-2. Plus some Dark Riders and shades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, DE can beat WE at the shooting game, buts not that easy, they have several things up on DE.

No movement penalty
    Longer range shooting
    Higher str at short range
    Hail of Doom Arrow
    Lots of skirmishers
    Easily hiding in forests

A good WE player is going to try force you to have to move if you want to shoot them with anything other then RBT's, which means you'll be hitting on 6's with most stuff (except shades).

The AP doesnt really make a huge difference to WE due to their lack of armour saves IMO.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

Ours was a 2000 point game, and his three full units of archers really pounded my poor ranks as I tried to engage, not to mention the HoDA. And like Ethsar mentions, as many of his units as possible are hiding/moving in the woods with little to no penalty.

Oh well, our DE-WE record is 1-1, so hopefully I'll win the tie breaker.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, the best weapon against WE shooting for dark elves is their dark magic.

2 lvl 2s or a lvl 4 + lvl 2 with chillwind can really slow down that shooting.

Chillwind should have no problems killing at least 1 Glade Guard if you get it off. And the magic missiles remove the issue of trying to kill things in cover. In fact every spell in dark magic is VERY useful against WE.

You can also almost always count on WE's to shoot at your ASF BG block before it gets to their line or visa versa, or if your using the dagger they might shoot your spearmen (Less spearmen = less chance of using dagger alot, i.e if its just over half strength you might reconsider using the dagger so as not to give away VP's).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Harpies can be a good screen unit against shooting as they are cheap and fast. Also, a Lv. 4 Sorceress w/ Peggy, pendant, and Black Staff or Lifetaker can cause some real havoc against the shooting.

Dragons and Manticores are also fast terror causers, although that is not quite as reliable.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ethsar46 View Post
    IMO, the best weapon against WE shooting for dark elves is their dark magic.

2 lvl 2s or a lvl 4 + lvl 2 with chillwind can really slow down that shooting.

Chillwind should have no problems killing at least 1 Glade Guard if you get it off. And the magic missiles remove the issue of trying to kill things in cover. In fact every spell in dark magic is VERY useful against WE.
    As a WE player I totally agree with this. Magic is the bane of normal wood elf lists. Even our defensive magic setups have problems against a really strong magic list.
    You can also almost always count on WE's to shoot at your ASF BG block before it gets to their line or visa versa, or if your using the dagger they might shoot your spearmen (Less spearmen = less chance of using dagger alot, i.e if its just over half strength you might reconsider using the dagger so as not to give away VP's).I totally disagree with this. No WE player worth his salt is going to waste arrows on block troops unless there is nothing else to shoot at.
    SirKently
    Last edited by sirkently; March 24th, 2009 at 04:36.
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

I would like to know what you brought to get eat up so quickly. I myself play wood elves and have had a struggle with the druchii as of late.
    General tactic that seems to work is the 3 M. Monsters, Magic, Missiles (shooting). Don't go shooting heavy, but bring enough to force him to come to you. Your magic can easily overpower them, unless they go all-out in magic D, in which case you should minimize other problems.

Bring the Hydra, hell 2 if you can. Str 4 flame will destory anything they have, he can move through the forests as fast as they can, and in close combat he should break them very easily, even if they charged you. just stay away from the treeman, that will lock you up in combat for the rest of the game.

One player I played against had corsairs with the brace of handbows. they actually worked very well, with those units protecting flanks, anything that charges they will get shot to bits.

Bring Assasins. One in a unit of shades might be really good. Your shades with Great Weapons and an assasin are very powerful in close combat, just as much as any wood elf unit there is. With their BS5 and repeater crossbows to boot, these guys will show a WE a thing or 2 about their own game. They can take a charge (standa and shoot and the assasin clears rank and file) or charge themselves. pure nastybads

Thats all I can really suggest without knowing what you did, or how his list went. Details!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast