Shooty theme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooty theme

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooty theme

Is a shooty, manouverable dark elven army a viable option? Like, is the whole 'crossbow'-theme useless without magic/ hydras? And what would be a good shooty-master build?
    Hit me with ideas
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think you could from 2,000 points and up. I guess lower point games it viable to get a shooty army.

Crossbowmen units,
    Corsairs w/handbows, (great because they are a good screening unit, and handbows don't suffer Dark Riders, a penalty to hit for shooting at long range or moving and shooting)
    Shades, (great BS, especially w/ bloodshades)
    Cold One Chariot, (since the crew does have repeater crossbows)
    Reaper Bolt Throwers

you could field an Assassin as a scout already deployed (not hidden in a unit) and run him with your Shades giving him a repeater crossbow and rending stars. You could also run him separate from the shades unit and give him the cloak of twilight and the stars. you can easily fly him over enemy units throwing strength 5 stars at war machines or characters. (this assassin setup has worked well for me)

you could run a master in each Crossbowmen unit with two of "The Guiding Eye" magic items in the enchanted items list in your Dark Elf Book. They are single use and allows the character and any unit he joins to re-roll missed shooting to hit rolls. This works especially well if you put a unit of crossbowmen on a hill with a master/The guiding eye in the unit. Since on a hill they will be able to shoot in two ranks it can be a deadly combination.

Also consider taking one of your characters with the Lifetaker bow. It's a magic weapon and always hits on a roll of a 2 no matter what. (Even if you move, it doesnt matter, always hits on a 2+) It fires 3 shots and is at strength 4. This would be good on a lone character on a mount of some sort.

Now, all that being said I still don't consider it wise to only take shooty units... even IN a shooty themed list. You still need some melee units there. It depends on your list, but I would definitely take a unit of CoK's. In any list they are a must imho. Maybe take a unit of black guard and just sit them back and wait for them to come to you. It's all on you to decide that. But I would not leave your shooty units without some melee unit(s) there to back them up when the enemy is close to being able to charge them. I know when I take xBowmen I always take them bare. (no command whatsoever, 10 for a 100pts.) i do that to save points but thats beyond the point. Having a shooty themed list doesnt mean you cannot have any non-shooty units. So, with that in mind, I hope you make a nice shooty army. Also, find out what army your playing before you play a shooty list. I mean, if you go against Dwarves, Wood Elves or even Empire, I would not suggest it. Yeah, Dark Elves can make a decent shooty army but its by far not the best army for it.

Hope it all works out for you. Remember Dark Elf shooty armies will work best at 2k and under. Thats just my opinion, but I am also going on experience too. At 2k you can have 4 Bolt throwers which would really help the shooty theme. I for one don't have 4 bolt throwers in my army at all even if I wanted to field them lol. I Only have 2 at the moment. I am wanting to get 2 more for just such an occasion, but I think I'll get a second War Hydra before I do that. Make a list up and post it so you can get some feedback from myself and other really experienced players on here. (if you liked my advice please add some rep to my profile)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

DE shooting is great, but it is just a bunch of S3 AP shots. You'll need bolt throwers, magic, hydras, or something hitty to go after well armored enemies.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

personally, I'd say Hydras are overrated.

I see no problem with a more docile shooty/combat list

2 units of RxBows
    2-3 RBT
    1+ unit of shades with RxBows
    2 chariots and a big block of spearmen/corsairs (or 20 ranked up RxBows if you wanted)
    2+ units of dark riders with RxBows
    You can even give your Dreadlord a repeater crossbow to be cute.

I'd have 2 level 2's and take the Seal of Ghrond on your dreadlord for 5 dipel dice. Ring of Hotek on a noble on pegasus (with 2 repeater handbows)

All of the above is going to be less than 2000pts easily, so you'd still have room for a elite combat unit.

You can pack quite a bit of shooting into one list and with mild magic no one can call you on it. T4 and heavily armored armies may give you fits, but with appropriate march blocking and consistant shooting, you should be able to slow them down and take ranks off, and then smash them with your chariots, or cold ones or whatever you choose to be your line breakers (executioners for the win!) Brettonians have a hard time against DE shooting. You're going to have a tough time against VC but who doesn't, when you can bring back all the damage you took in one magic phase.
    Last edited by buckero0; March 26th, 2009 at 17:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

errr, sorry but no way Hydras are overrated lol. Hydras are AMAZING!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ill agree. hydras are a must in every DE army 2k +

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No joke, i mean its not that expensive for what your getting. Toughness 5 unit thats Terror causing, 4+ Scaly Skin, Regenerate, 7 attacks at strength 5 for the Hydra and 6 attacks at strength 3 for the Beastmasters which are AP. Dont forget about the Fiery Breath that can do some serious damage, especially with all 5 wounds still remaining.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I know exactly what they do and what they should do. I find that people lean on them and use them as a crutch too often, thinking that they will destroy a unit entirely and think that they are more than just a support unit.

Personally, I have never had a hydra work well in a game for me. Either my opponent makes all of his armor saves (after I miss 13/14 hits with my flame template) or my Hydra whiffs on attacks (despite hatred), loses combat and runs away.

What I am saying is that people don't think to use anything but the Hydra, and I am just stating that it is not necessary and that there are other ways to play the army (which is what the original poster was asking)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, all you said was "personally I think Hydras are overrated." I took that plain statement for just that and said my own statement which was simple... "errr, sorry but no way Hydras are overrated lol. Hydras are AMAZING!" I am not sure how you expect anyone to think your saying anything else besides that you think they are overrated in that original statement of yours lol cause that IS all you said. I responded to that statement alone and not to anything else you just stated in your previous post. If other people play with them badly then whatever. I personally play with them great and don't do stupid things with them or any of my units for that matter. Saying a unit is bad because other people play badly with the unit doesnt mean the unit is bad lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhir_Forever View Post
    no, all you said was "personally I think Hydras are overrated." I took that plain statement for just that and said my own statement which was simple...
    This is going nowhere xD

When I field a Hydra I try to use the fear factor it brings to my advantage. People don't leave the Hydra alone (and they shouldn't). I try to lure good enemy troops away from the combat area, enemy units wider apart from each others are easier to take on when you need to hit the unit from several sides. Also breath template and run around the unit I prefer doing. I'm not to fond of a Hydra in combat mostly since I use my Hydra as bait and hes usually to far to charge in and help other units.
    :B

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast