playing against High Elves... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

playing against High Elves...

hey guys! this is my first post and im fairly new to WHF too. but my question is im playing agaisnt a Teclis lead, heavy magic using, high elf army tomorrow. any pointers and suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well since your playing against Teclis it's pointless to take dispel scrolls since he casts every spell with irresistible force. So, the normal strategy for going up against heavy magic armies wont work with him. (i.e. null talismans, seal of Ghrond, scroll caddies) What you could do is equip a unit with the Ring of Hotek. (Any Wizard attempting to cast or Target a spell within 12" of the wearer will suffer a miscast on the roll of any Double) Units you could equip this on would be either Black Guard or Cold One Knights since those units allow the unit champion with at least 25 points of magic items. Another way to use this item is to equip it on a character on a flying mount and try to fly him/her within range of Teclis. (this strategy though could be dangerous depending on what units he has out)

Now another really good option you could try is to eliminate some of his spells he can cast which will just make him far less effective, especially if you can destroy his harder hitting spells. You would have to get a character and take at least 2 Crystal's of Midnight. They are single use enchanted items that when used allow you to nominate any Wizard on the table to which would have to take a leadership test on 3 dice instead of the normal 2. If he fails the leadership test then he will forget one randomly determined spell for the rest of the game. But the problem with this strategy is that if he passes the test then its just a waste. It's best to not rely on this strategy as your trump card but to combine this strategy with the first one I mentioned. In any case, not a whole lot of options available to fight against Teclis. He is a beast for sure.

There is one last option but it is a bit of a gamble. Teclis is a mage, so will be easier to kill than a Lord with sick armour/ward saves. Teclis has no mount and as such is a single model on foot. People will do one of two things when taking him in their list. Either place him in a unit to keep him better protected than being a lone model or leave him by himself and just shield him with friendly units from any opposing missile fire. However, doing that eliminates line of sight for his magic which is not really a good idea since he cost nearly 500 points. I usually always see High Elves players place him in a strong unit of Phoenix Guard which are a very resilient unit that can survive a long time with their base ward save and high Armour save. This is in fact what you want him to do for this last strategy im going to propose to work. First, you will take Shadowblade in your army list. Whenever you find out which unit he places Teclis in you just pop Shadowblade out of that unit as soon as you possibly can. You then issue a challenge and will make short work of Teclis... at the very least he will be in a challenge and unable to do anything else for a few turns giving your other units time to reach his unit to charge in the rare case Shadowblade does die. Like I said though... doing this strategy is a gamble because you don't know if in fact he will place Teclis in a unit or not. But hey, fortune favours the bold right!!!! (I would stil take the ring of hotek with you on one of your units placing other of your elite troops on either side of the unit/character that has the ring as a precautionary measure if you just get bad luck with the dice on Shadowblade...remember the ring only has a 12" range so make sure you place the units he's likely to target often within range of it.. the guy I play always takes the Lore of Fire because he likes to take out my Hydra before I get a chance to use him and the fire magic will eliminate my regenerate)

Lastly make sure to take your Bolt Throwers. You may get lucky and face a really dumb player leaving Teclis out in the open by himself. Sure he'll be at a -1 to hit for being a single target, but still... lol. You could also take the Cauldron of Blood for a little extra protection from spells by having the option of giving a unit the 5+ ward save, but it'll only help a little. And chances are he might just keep targeting opposite units than the one you give the ward save to each time lol. If you do decide to take magic, take the lore of metal since you can target single models that are even in a unit. This way you can target Teclis when he places him in a unit for protection. Let me know how you do against him.... high elves are difficult to play against but I try to take as many troops as possible to take advantage of Eternal Hatred where magic has little use of. He always strikes first so I like to place the Always Strike First magic banner with my cold one knights ensuring that when I get the charge with them that I do all the damage first.... almost always killing his entire front rank so he cannot attack back. I generally wait and see where he places his swordmasters before placing my CoK's on the field because my Knights with ASF can decimate an entire unit of swordmasters.
    Last edited by Lokhir_Forever; March 28th, 2009 at 22:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I played a small tournament last weekend and encountered a high elf army. He used a level 4 and a level 2 and alot of shooting, 2RBT 10 archers 20 Lorthern seaguards with bows.

Ring of Hotek is very valuable against high elves, I had the ring on a master on pegasus, he moved next to 1 RBT and shot with his handbows along with some shades and dark riders killing the crew op 1 RBT, and the next turn I was able to take out the second RBT and the overrun left me in 12" range of his archmage But he didn't roll any double on the 12 spells he casted in the battle xD!

Swordmaster die just as easy as our blackguards or executioners, a unit of 14 can easily be shot with some arrows.

I find a chariot also handy their impact hits come before their ASF
    :B

+ Reply to Thread