Librarium Online Forums banner

thinking bout a tourny

2K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  chefsdad 
#1 ·
Hey im thinking about entering a tourny in september, and im thinking bout bringin out the DE. also thinking about Skaven and Tomb kings but ill ask for advice on the approprate forums.

the rules are....

no double rare choices
no more than 2 of the same special
pendant of kaeleth counts as a hero!

any advice on how i should kit out the dread lord? or maybe even take a supreme sorceress on pegasus?

#6 ·
Well the Drakenhof banner is a hero choice also and with undead raising every casting of it adds one to the casting value for then rest of the phase.
also daemons ward saves are dropped by one against magical attacks i.e. a 5+ against normal and a 6+ vs magical, and their BSB can either take gifts or icons.

im thinking 2 Lv2 Wiz with a Dispel Scroll each and the Darkstar Cloak and Sac Dagger with an appropriate unit of Spearmen, 20 xbows and a dreadlord on Cold one with Pendant and Caledors bane.

obvious i would take a hydra and 2 reapers. also 15 black guard with the Crimson death and ASF banner. although it was said that if an army has the banner and the pendant and the ring of hotek they would get 0 Comp points.

i was thinking shades and maybe taking an assassin. possibly converting up a Cold One Chariot too, andof course Cold one Knights.

#8 ·
upsets me so much I had to make a second comment on this matter.

The people in that gamingclub are obviously not very skilled players. That probably can't stand it losing from Dark Elves.

Second could be that they look at the item by itself without taking into account that our elves are very squishy and have no big tough super lord.

Again RIDICULOUS that they give 1 specific item a penalty.... If they do this they should limit every army.

And please refer the gamingclub to this topic. I'd REALLY like to know what their reason is for giving only the DE a penatly :/

#9 ·
I don't see how this is a stupidly run tournament because of those rules, I think you can manage just fine without the pendant if you were to want to use all your character choices. Yes comp removes some 'power' builds so new ones emerge but I see that as a good thing since it's not like all tournaments will take these rules, this gives variety as who wants to be playing and seeing the same lists over and over. New challenges are fun and if it's not what your looking for simply don't go to those type of tournaments as I'm sure there are plenty more without comp like this, but saying it is stupid is a stupid thing to say as different gamers are after different things.

#10 ·
its not that we cant deal without the pendant. the fact is my current 2250 list has been complimented as to how balanced yet strong it is, and now i cant use it because of one item! sure he's hard to kill with heavy stuff, but he can still be outnumbered, out ranked, and chased down, and although he is ld10 he is subject to stupidity.

the organisers want to see the lists prior to the event too to see whether they will allow the list or not. if they are doing that why comp it so much to begin with? if the list is cheesey it wont be for that one item and if it is thy wont allow it anyway. the pre-event screening of the lists should iron out power gaming lists anyway.

they are heavily comping DE, and DoC, but not so much vampires. i can see why they are comping daemon lists so heavily as they are extremely powerful if not broken (there i said) lists possible with the.

and thats not me bitchin about daemons as i play and love them

#12 ·
If you think that you must be naive, comp is there to stop the same boring combinations being used and is in no way indicative of poor players. It is the best players that can adjust to different comp styles and triumph.

This looks like the Warlord GT in the UK being run by The Northern Warlords in which case I can assure it is not being run by poor players who can't deal with certain combinations.

#13 ·
If you think no comp is boring you must be naive (see, I can be condescending too!).

People will bring what they want to, removing their options means they have less to choose from. Less to choose from means more similarities between lists. Every army (except maybe TK, O&G and OK) has a ton of options to create competitive builds, it all comes down to what the player in question wants to bring and how they use it. Banning items or combos the interwebs call "t3h cheez0r" is a stupid thing for stupid people to do to muck up a good game.

Remember, a comp system by any other name was still devised by a scrub.

#19 ·
In no way did I hint that I think no comp is boring, I support variety which means some comped tournaments (this includes different types of comp) and some without. I didn't mean to come off all superior I just think you should open your eyes to the merits of different types of tournaments as comp really doesn't restrict armies options and in a comped tournament you will see a lot more different builds than one with no comp. You do realize that the entire Australian tournament scene is comped events, do you really believe that they are all 'stupid people' who 'muck up a good game.'

@chefsdad- This is the Warlord GT right? If so I wouldn't pass on the tournament as you can still make a solid list, remember everyone else has the same restrictions as you so it won't just be you with a 'weaker' list. VC are hit just as bad as Daemons and DE as the items that make them a pain to deal with cost a hero slot and there's the 6 level magic cap. I cant make it to many tournaments but this one is one of the ones I'd really like to make as well as the UKGT.

#14 · (Edited)
People choose to play with "cheese", not GW or the army books, forcing people to cut things out of the army is still over the top and would kill the spirit of the tourny. I would have to agree with ==HIM== and just say pass on this tourny as the Dark Elf in me says they did this to give at least one person in the tourny the upper hand. Maybe its someone who plays O&G, OK, or TK hmmmm.

I feel all armies have a way to be beat, those who call cheese, just haven't found a way to beat it and are doing this to avoid finding out.

EX: My friend plays Blood Knights with 4+ ward save, regen and crushed two units of flanking cold one cav. I myself called cheese because I have never faced them before. Other friend saw this and wised up with his slann and just kept casting beast cowers on them. That 1200pt unit was effectively out of the game. Now I know the next time to play them is to avoid combat while keeping them out of the game via harpies or darkriders which is easy due to their frenzy. Now when I face them I wont be screaming broke and will be prepared.

ranting over...

#15 ·
EX: My friend plays Blood Knights with 4+ ward save, regen and crushed two units of flanking cold one cav. I myself called cheese because I have never faced them before. Other friend saw this and wised up with his slann and just kept casting beast cowers on them. That 1200pt unit was effectively out of the game. Now I know the next time to play them is to avoid combat while keeping them out of the game via harpies or darkriders which is easy due to their frenzy. Now when I face them I wont be screaming broke and will be prepared.

ranting over...
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just ban them forever, learning to beat something is too hard for us scrubs.

#18 ·
Oh dear i really didnt want this to become a debate about cheese! i understand the comp and what its trying to do, i just think that comping a couple of items so drastically is not called for when they are pre-game screening armies.

if an army with the Drakenhof banner or a guy with the Pendant is "cheesy", then reject the list, dont just comp the items themselves.

anyway.....thats whats going on. so the general concensus is to pass yeah?

#22 ·
This thread is not about whether a specific tournament is any good or not. I apologise to chefsdad for where this thread has headed - hopefully this has not put you off posting on LO. Further, any more undue sarcastic or condescending posts will be subject to deletion and infraction at my discretion.

Thankyou very much for listening, please continue with the thread:).

#23 ·
This thread is not about whether a specific tournament is any good or not. I apologise to chefsdad for where this thread has headed - hopefully this has not put you off posting on LO. Further, any more undue sarcastic or condescending posts will be subject to deletion and infraction at my discretion.

Thankyou very much for listening, please continue with the thread:).
it was inevitable really i know i dont mind. everyone needs a good rant now and again lol you should hear me sometimes....im like an old woman (no offence to any ederly female LO members)

it wont put me off posting here dont worry. thank you :)

#25 ·
I agree with ==Me== just take 4 wizzards :D 10 power levels :p

lvl 4
dark pegasus, black staff, power stone, power stone

Level 2
sacrificial dagger, power stone

level 2
darkstar cloack, power stone

level 2
tome of furion, power stone

hahahah that might be a little overkill... xD Would be fun though :p

add 3x10 crossbowmen and 4 bolt throwers :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.