Finally starting my army, a few Observations - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Finally starting my army, a few Observations

Well, things have finally settled down enough for me to start looking at creating my next army. To that end I have been trying to collate my somewhat erratic and oft-misguided thoughts into a single, tangible and cohesive list.
    It is, I think, almost to the stage of finalisation, and I am beginning to make some of the purchases required. However, there are some observations that I would appreciate confirmation and clarification on.
    The first of these are Corsairs.
    Now, it seems to me that this is one of those units that are better off run as a smaller unit used to hit flanks and actively accrue large amounts of CR. The comparative cost of them compared to warriors, and the fact that those behind the first rank are merely there for rank bonus, lends themselves more to a supporting role than a mainstream stonewalling - at least to my thinking. And yet, I see more than a few armies out there with large blocks of corsairs being used as the main, static combat units. Why is this? Am I missing something here?
    Secondly are the Chariots.
    I'll admit it it, I am a fan of chariots, and given the opportunity I would love to field as many as I can in the one army, however, given the necessities of the other special choices I will more often than not find myself limited in regards to the number of scythed machines of destruction I am likely to take. I guess I just wanted some sort of idea as to who has had success with the Cold One chariots, and how. And also, is it worth taking a noble on the chariot (I do have a somewhat cool idea for a conversion), and if so what equipment would be suggested.
    And finally, for the moment, are the Harpies. On paper, I think these little beasties rock. However, the models are hideous and my budget is tight. Does anyone have any clues or ideas I can steal about converting my own? Preferably from plastic?

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

to be honest, I see no reason to field corsairs at all. With T3 in small numbers, they aren't good for anything on your flanks - they can't handle anything with T4 or any type of armor or fear causing. Their models are great though, use the models to convert your other units.

chariots are hampered by stupidity. It's a rule that keeps me from playing anything with them. Shades, while more fragile are a lot better.

Harpies are great. I converted mine from kroot warriors with plastic wings. I've also thought ghouls with different heads (maybe slanesh demon heads) would works as harpies. I got my wings off of D&D or Mageknight models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Thanks for the reply buckero0 - and rep for the kroot idea - never considered them.

I see what you mean about the corsairs, initially I was leaning towards them - but i think that was more of a 'shiny new kit' syndrome. I would still like to include some - they match the theme I am going for brilliantly - but can see them being used effectively in large numbers.

That being said, I am extremely comfortable using MSU armies (having played WE's, Eldar and other fast, fluid MSU armies in both WFB & 40k)
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Corsairs are there to cut the chaff so your more precious units won't have to.

Corsairs live and die (literally) on their number of attacks.

I run them 7 wide, 2 deep, with a suitable banner.

They are a meatgrinder unit first and foremost for me, and will chew through a block of zombies in one turn with the frenzy banner. (or pick the AP banner if up against better saves)

Slaver rule is really nice too , especially if lokhir is in the unit at the time.

Haven't tried the handbows yet, but they might inspire some interesting tactical twists.

Sea dragon cloaks inspire some to use minimal units as screens from missile fire, but i haven't tried it out myself..
    My blackguard could use a meatshield sometimes though.

All in all they perform just as well as or better than i'd expect from a Core choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Corsairs will only rack up a decent amount of kills(4 or more) against T:3 with little or no armor save. Pretty much anything else we have can do the same or better. However, there are 2 reasons I use them as a change of pace in my army occasionally. I run them either 10 or 12 as a flanker. One, they can get rid of rank bonus and two, they can utilize the slaver rule to help run down opponents defeated in combat.

I love my Harpies and use between 2 and 4 units in all my army lists. These girls have so many uses. March-blocking, war machine/mage hunting, redirecting, getting in the way of opponents missle weapons or any other units. Remember that they don't cause our other units to panic as they are beneath other Dark Elves. As for the conversions, I am afraid I am not of much help in that area.

Chariots I don't use. It is personal preference. I just have never been a fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about 10 with repeater handbows and a musician to shield your Black Guard? Pretty good shooting and low cost.

Apart from that I dont see the use for corsairs. As flanking unit we have much better choices and as a ranked unit spearmen are better and cheaper.

The models are cool though.

+ Reply to Thread