Corsairs vs warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corsairs vs warriors

hey guys,

i've seen on here that no one really rate corsair that much saying they're too expensive (pts wise) over warriors (being 3 pts cheaper, with shields)

thinking about it, they both have the same stats, corsairs have better defense against missiles & a shooty option (i don't like!) & an option for a magic banner this is what i reckon makes them, the ap one is awesome, as i frenzy (if that's your thing, i like control!)

that said, here's the breakdown for units i like to form my center

18 corsairs (6x3), full com, Banner of murder - 220
    19 corsairs (6x3, FC - 215

2x 24 warriors - shields, FC - 183x2

the warriors have more numbers for less, but the corsair actually have a chance of killing things, especially on the charge, they also have more survivability against shootyness so the lack of numbers isn't that big a deal!

anywho, my lord goes with BoM unit, an assassin with the other. My tactics are also quite aggresive. the other option is change the 19 man to warriors (as they're essentially a delivery system)????

Thoughts???????

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my point of view, i still really cant see the use for corsairs, except maybe against undead and skaven.

Both warriors and corsairs can take magic banners, and a find a warbanner for the spearmen equally effective. The 7 point spearmen are so hard to bring down if they choose hw+sh, and with a +6 static bonus they often beat some rather potent foes.

When charged, the spearmen have the advantage over sorsairs. They can either use spears to get 10 attacks like the corsairs, and will only loose one of these attacks per model lost, compared to the corsairs who loose two. Or they can choose hw+sh if facing a superior foe, where even one or two armour saves can make the difference between breaking and holding.

If charging a unit of corsairs with frenzy banner or AP banner MIGHT do heavy damage, IF the opponent has medicore toughness and armour. Sure, corsairs can be good, but against the regular infantry blocks out there... how much damage are you going to do with s3?
    Spearmen dont do any damage when they charge, but they dont fall easely either. Because they are cheap, they will often outnumber the enemy.

Obviously it is an advantage that corsairs dont loose numbers as quickly from shooting. 4+ save instead of 5+ can make a large difference, especially against s4 shooting.

So to add it up, I think corsairs and spearmen are about even, with corsairs having a slight advantage - but rarely enough to justify 3 extra points per model.

I know some people like to run them as flankers in small units, but I can think of several other regiments to better perform this role.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my corsairs. For me though to max there potential I pair them up with my combat assassin. Now assassins are good for any unit you put them with but I like having my opponent charge the corsairs thinking there gona wipe them out, only to have the assassin pop out and kill there front rank. Then if i dont like how far there running away I make them reroll it. Pluss personaly I like the hole DE pirate army idea.

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Corsairs and Warriors are not directly comparable as they don't fill the same roles or play styles.

Warriors are fantastic and cheap anvils. Give a unit of 20 a War Banner and they can take a pounding while other units maneuver for the supporting flank charge. Add in a BSB master with some hitting power and you've got an army center which will likely die to the last man before they break. I've had such a unit take a flank charge from an Ancient Steggadon with EotG and not only did they hold but in the next round of combat they killed the skink priest and broke the steggy and ran him down. All in all Warriors are an anvil unit that fits best with a defensive play style.

On the other hand Corsairs excel at aggressive play. They have the shooting save to take the fight to the enemy and the combat to put some hurt on when they get there. As compared to Warriors, Corsairs should be run in combat blocks of 18 (6x3), 14 (7x2), 12 (6x2) or MSU style units of 10. Combat blocks maximize your frontage and increase the number of attacks you can throw at the enemy. If you add a Sea Serpent Standard to a (6x3) unit your throwing out 17 attacks with re rolling hatred. That will shred t3 4+ save infantry. If you combine that with a timely Word of Pain against your opponent those Corsairs can go toe to toe with Chaos Warriors and other elite infantry and hold until help arrives (I've done it before), if you take it one step further and bring a Cauldron you can give those Corsairs killing blow and watch them eat high T and armor save troops.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As always, it depends on whom you are up against, the point #, and general reputation.

If I were bringing my Skaven, well, I know that in 5th edition, the Dark Elves absolutely OWNED the Skaven, no matter whom the opposing general was. I saw players that I knew I was more talented then, but the Dark Elf army was inherently better at eating up the Skaven and spitting them right back at me.

So, given the choice, if you said "I'm going up against your skaven army and I'm going to bring either the two units of warriors or two units of corsairs, your choice"........

I'd probably say the Corsairs, almost entirely on the grounds that while I think either will own my army, but with the corsairs it will cost you more points and hopefully that affects something else in your army list.

The Dark elves......

Everything on their list was the bane of the Skaven......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

GMJoe, Take this however you will, but its NOT 5th edition anymore, I'm not sure if you dont play anymore, or still play 5th edition stuff, but I've noticed that almost every one of your posts references your skaven that you played 2 editions ago.

I think you need to upgrade to 7th edition, I appreciate that you try to give the opposing players point of view, however I think that new players reading your posts would be better served if your advice was actually based on up to date information.

I personally like corsairs, and I think that against skaven the corsairs would do better as well.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fair enough. I have bought the newest edition hardcover rulebook; and eventually I'll start buying the army books as well to see just how they stack up.

As I have said, I have not played regularly since 2003/2004, when 6th Edition was new but I did get a few of the army books.

That said, based on what I have seen, well it does seem like in 7th edition, huge regiments don't seem to be as in vogue anymore. I've seen a lot of DE armies now fielding very little shooters, and truth be told, that almost makes me want to try to come back and pick up a win vs the DE's if I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Warriors are more of a stand alone unit where they can hold a side for a cheap cost whereas corsairs are to be used in conjunction with other units. I like the small 10 man units the most since it leaves them cheap and able to support other infantry very well.

The main benefit with the corsair is the slaver rule, and combined with either hard hitting units like executioners or black guard who will break the enemy (assuming they can be broken) in 1 round of combat they will be caught and destroyed. The same applies for fast units & cavalry. Making them roll 3 & taking the lowest two while you roll a combined 3 will pretty much guarantee their unit being caught = easy VPs!

I don't think its really fair to compare the 2 statlines next to each other without considering how they will be used.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I'm nervous about using Warriors for SCR wins. Too many other armies are better at that sort of thing than us, and the cheaper point cost is less significant when you start piling on the ranks, upgrades and characters. Corsairs are much more Dark Elf-like: get the charge, win the charge, enslave the losers.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Corsairs are fun!

units of 14, 7 wide with 2 weapons + frenzy banner.

Point at enemy's tarpit units and start the meatgrinder.

very rarely have i not wiped the front rank , saving the unit from any strikes back.

unit of 10 with handbows.
    good screening unit that can deny the enemy marchblocking your important units.

big blocks and Scr are not really the corsairs strength, number of kills are.

prime targets:

zombies
    skellingtons
    peasants
    harpies
    skaven slaves
    etc etc...

you know, the stuff that always clog up your better units?

Warriors arent my cup of tea, i use mine as rxb's.
    only way i'd use a block would be as a battery for a bloodthirsty sorceress

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast