Monsters or MSU? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Monsters or MSU?

Heya, it's been a while, but the DE bug has bitten ==Me== again.

I've got this pile of Dark Elves lying around and I want to make something of them, but I'm not sure what to do.

I got the Spearhead, Corsairs and a Sorceress for about half off at the FLGS's housecleaning sale and I'm trying to figure out how I want ==My== DE.

It seems to ==Me== that DE and Skaven have a lot of similarities (sneaky buggers, T3, nasty magic and shooting) so I want ==My== DE to play differently from ==My== rats (currently lots of block with a Furnace and plenty of shooting and magic).

There's two ways I'm looking at: MSU or monter mash.

MSU is multiple small units, taking tiny disposable units and using their speed and maneuverability to pick apart ==My== opponent. I'm thinking of having it centered on a Supreme Sorceress with a dagger and a battery of spearmen backed by MSU Corsairs, COKs, Shades, and 2 Hydras. So while I sling magic at people, cheapo blocks of fast units run up and multi-charge people in the flanks and use the Corsairs' slaver rule to rack up VPs quickly.

Monster mash is just that, lots of big gribblies. I want a Dragon Dreadlord (just because I want to convert that HE Dragon!), 2 Hydras, and Dark Riders, COKs, Harpies, and various beasties. Obviously it's got not much in the way of SCR or shooting, but it's very mobile and very hitty.

What do you think?

Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Both work fine. The version of MSU I play makes good use out of dark riders and small units of black guard, shades and witches. Usually I skip the corsairs, but since you have them you might as well use them. Besides, corsairs are pretty much only viable as a min sized unit. Also harpies are good in any list.

If you do go for the big monster list, be sure to not overlook the manticore. While it is rather easy to kill with only t5 as its protection, with 3 other big monsters it is likely to be over looked. Considering that he has a decent number of attacks with killing blow, and the guy riding it should also take the KB weapon, it is very nasty. (also it isn't a bad place for the ring of hotek)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Your proposed lists are almost identical to each other. Looks like you already have a good idea of what you want (2 Hydras, cavalry, Shades/Harpies). If you want monsters and COKs to do the heavy work anyway then you may as well bring plenty of crossbowmen to soften up their victims. I find it difficult to flank charge with Corsairs; the only way I can reliably make use of the slaver rule is to have a charge-eating anvil unit draw the enemy into a trap, which isn't going to fit well with either MSU or monster tactics.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like two excellent concepts.

One of the things that drew me to Skaven originally was that some of the HE/Empire/Dwarf armies I was looking at in the game groups that dominated when I started were too "conventional" looking in that you would not see anything that REALLY looked fantasy like. Your Monster army definitely does that.

If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Why not a mixture? Get some cold one knights and a hydra with some shades and dark rider's! ==you=='ll have a playable and fun army. What kind of points games are you expecting to play?
    Worshipper of Dice
    Last game: Victory Dark Elves vs High Elves & Orcs & Goblins
    WDL: Dark Elves:37/6/8 Space Marines:7/3/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Oddly enough, local tournies run at 1800, so now I don't have to buy any more Hydras
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Couple of shade units, COK unit, hydra, chariot, 3 or 4 rider units and some spears and corsairs to fill the gaps?
    Worshipper of Dice
    Last game: Victory Dark Elves vs High Elves & Orcs & Goblins
    WDL: Dark Elves:37/6/8 Space Marines:7/3/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about MSU of dark riders going with some Rxb? Maybe with Reapers backing them up if the points and situation allow it?
    This plot is kind of leading away from the theme tho...

+ Reply to Thread