Starting a new army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Starting a new army

So let me get to the point. Veteran to 40K, new to fantasy. Taught my younger brother to play 40K and him not having an army was never an issue because I had 3 armies so I could always pick one and so could he. Now I'm starting a O&G army and he wants to play fantasy as well.
    He wants to play Dark elves, loves the way the models look. I know thier not the easiest army to start with. So my question is this; What should I buy him (besides the army book, already did that ) to start out with? Im thinking perhaps 2 boxes of DE warriors and a Lord choice. Is the battilion box a decent deal? I know nothing about Dark Elves or even Dark Eldar for that matter so I have no real experience to pull from. Any advice would be appreciated.

Green iz da' BEST!
    Orkz is made fer' two fings! Fightin', and winnin'!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heheheh... Well first off, you proberbly should'nt encourage him to purchase Dark Elves, unless you are up for a pretty nasty match-up. Playing against Dark Elves with orcs and goblins - sounds like a challenge to me! :-)

The batallion box is rather good apart from the corsairs. Corsairs and executioners are proberbly the worst infantry choices for a dark elf arme - which is unfortunate since the models are kinda nice...

I would get:

2 sorceresses (proberbly both on foot, but you may have other preferences...)

Two boxes of warriors (good for 20 spearmen and 10 crossbowmen)

5 Dark Riders (if you can afford them)

5 or 10 harpies (again if you can afford them)

5 or10 Cold One Knights (Make 1 or two units of five with no command. Thats the best way of running them)

5 Shades

15-20 Black Guard

War Hydra (this one is a MENACE at 1000 points. I always take it)

This has a good diversity and can combine into many an evil powerful Dark Elf list. It will be good for 1000 and 1500 point games.
    Dark Elves: Massacres: 14, Solid Victories: 2, Minor Victories: 0, Draws: 2, Minor Defeats: 0, Solid Defeats: 0, Massacred: 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I have no problem playing him. I prefer he picks an army he enjoys instead of one where I get easy wins. Might even make me a better player. Plus.... I dont plan on running too many goblins
    Green iz da' BEST!
    Orkz is made fer' two fings! Fightin', and winnin'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The greenskin must also be a fun army to play. I like the diversity!

Even an orc army will proberbly be the massive underdog against dark elves, but then again - it all depends on the players. It should be a nice challenge for you if you two play against each other regulary.
    Dark Elves: Massacres: 14, Solid Victories: 2, Minor Victories: 0, Draws: 2, Minor Defeats: 0, Solid Defeats: 0, Massacred: 0

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Just don't buy him any Black guard or Hydras and you'll be ok!

in fact convince him that Black Guard don't exist
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The Battalion box is an excellent start; all of its units are useful. Not all units please all players, of course, but it's hard to say in advance what your brother would enjoy most. Get the Battalion and play around with everything!

After the Battalion, a few leader models including an assassin would be the next purchase. A Hydra or pair of bolt throwers would also be fine choices. The only unit I would steer you away from are the Executioners; Elf fragility combines poorly with 'Strikes Last'.

Typical list builds are magic-heavy with plenty of Warriors/Crossbowmen, MSU (Many Small Units), cavalry with several Dark Rider and Cold One units with ranged/magical support, monster-heavy with two Hydras (and possibly a Manticore) and the Black Guard Death Star (Black Guard plus battle standard bearer with the Standard of Hag Graef).

I started out with the Battalion box myself. After playing around with it and some other units, I finally arrived at a 'bait & slam' list that uses handbow Corsairs as outriders for Cold One Knights. It's hard to guess exactly where one will end up with Dark Elves--we can do just about anything except attrition.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread