Hydra Painting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydra Painting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydra Painting

So, its coming to pass that my next painted model is going to be my hydra, which leaves me completely intimidated. Anyone have any tips/tricks/etc for making it look halfway decent? Ideas on color scheme would also be duely appreciated, I'd hate to use the dark/lighter green scheme I'm using for my cold ones, so any other ideas would be cool. I'm a table-grade painter, but I know that my hydra's going to be the centerpiece of my army, just given its size/mass (at least until I do the dragon), so any help I can get would be awesome.

WFB: Dark Elves; Tomb Kings; and Orcs (oh my!)
    40k: Tyranids (2nd ed)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Make sure you're comfortable with what colours your using in midtones, highlights and shading.

On larger models it's generally harder to get away with add white/black to change the shade or a quick black/brown wash to add depth.

Brown wash is good for delineating the lines of its hide, should be applied gently.

Generally reptiles have lighter underbellies, usually a creamy colour and usually unpatterned - the top hide, however, can be quite vivid and marked - generally avoid putting markings around the areas where the top hide meets the belly as the transition isn't sudden and needs to be blended, preferably softly, as the types of skin/scale transition.

If you're wanting to add features to the Hydra to make it stand out further consider what you want to imply with it: Is it a headstrong, willful beast? Is it forced to march days on end with little rest? Has it seen much battle before? Do the heads fight?

Considering what the model conveys to you allows you to help convey that in your painting - adding wounds on its flanks where the handlers have whipped it for disobedience can imply a lack of training for the creature or reluctance to fight, scars around the neck and face denote it's been in fights where it's probably been bickering with itself over food or fighting perhaps a speared or skilled unit.

A very light drybrush of a dust colour over the lower legs and the sides of the body will give it a sense of it has travelled - dust would pick on up its legs travelling and its flanks from when it gets a chance to rest and it just flops down to nap.

What colours do your army utilise currently? Generally a body colour should suit the creatures already in the army, but using a colour that complements the other main colours can make it stand out more, which depending on your confidence can be good or daunting
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent suggestions. The colors put me at a bit of a loss though. I've stuck mainly to typical DE colors (dark reds, purples, black, and metallics), but none of which would really be a good thing to mix with the rest of the army. (Though it would be a good chuckle seeing a big purple beastie eating dwarfs) Perhaps a black/grey scheme may be best. Go with a gloss black, and ink the lighter parts. *ponders*
    WFB: Dark Elves; Tomb Kings; and Orcs (oh my!)
    40k: Tyranids (2nd ed)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

A bluish tinted dark grey could look effective and stand out, with a more ruddy shading to it depending on how blue, perhaps a charcoal colour, bear in mind if you go black you will have to spend a lot more time on the scales for highlighting and shading as black, by very nature, is a very flat colour like white and hard to make 'vivid' as well as have depth. (Teals, Yellows and Fuscias have a similar difficulty because of their colour composition - they're colours that 'stress' the human eye more)

Depending on what purple you're using a black/green mix so it's more a coloured 'tint' to the hide could look good, still being a black colour.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw a purplish hue once used at a local game on a war hydra, with the matching details on the BeastMasters driving the WH and it looked amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Type Dark Elf Hydra into Google images. You'll see some nice ones ranging from the standard greens to blue upper/warlock pink belly and yellow upper/green lower.

+ Reply to Thread