Topic of the Week - War Hydra - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Topic of the Week - War Hydra

This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - War Hydra

What kinda of army does the hydra work best in? Why take it over the bolt throwers? Is it worth the points?

Discuss.

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played double hydras in every game I've played so far (still new to dark elves) and they perform fantastically. Though speaking tactically I think that probably it would be better to take 1 hydra and 2x bolt throwers since DE seem to have some issues with anything high toughness from what I can tell. I think the hydra would go great with any type of army really, he does too many great things for only 175 pts and is an absolute beast in combat. Though as I found out the hard way, can still be broken in combat and run down so dont charge anything with too static combat bonuses lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Personally I only bring 1 hydra to my games, no bolt throwers. The reason being is it is rather expensive in points, and I have found that I really don't need a second one to achieve my goals for it. I prefer filling up on specials and core units with powerful magic and character upgrades (cauldron and/or BSB combos) The dual hydra is the easy button as far as I'm concerned. Even then I don't really like what it does in terms of army synergy to run 2.

When I don't take a hydra, I bring 3-4 bolt throwers, but that isn't as common since bolt throwers work best in a narrower range of army types, while a hydra or 2 will always be a flexible and efficient rare choice with all lists.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my Warhydra. The first advantage it brings to the table is entirely psychological. The Warhydra is such an overly-hyped and overly-griped-about unit that a lot of people's first reaction when I field one is to go...oh crap! What I like most about the Warhydra though, is its versatility. It's not a steam tank, so I cant just go drivin'er into some hairy situation, rambo style, thinking its going to come out alright, belching with satisfaction and dripping bits of carcass everywhere. I use it mainly as a supporting unit, and if I take good care of it--i.e. making sure that if it does charge a unit, some other unit of mine will also get flank--it's usually just the thing to turn the game in my favor. With m6, s5 breath weapon, terror causing ability, terrain ignoring, and 7 attacks, you can use it to perform a number of different rolls in your army. I played a game vs. Empire recently where just causing 'terror' really wrecked havok on my opponent and caused one full unit to run clear off the table.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't dark elves get 1 or 2 RBT as 1 rare choice? If so, 2 bolt Throwers and the Hydra are doable in 2000-2999 pt army lists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually do 2 RBTs and a Hydra. I agree with kpooh, it's a very big psychological advantage. Every time I play my friend's Dwarves he just blasts the crap out of it, but it buys me time to get up on him with the rest of my units. In CC, it's been so-so for me, has a tough time dealing with dwarven blocks but it's a great support unit with 7 str 5 hating attacks, and it's mobility combined with the it's flame attack are very handy. And don't forget that terror.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vs Dwarves, would be an army I would not want to bring a Hydra, or rather, would not want it to be the lynchpin of my plans. It is too easy for the dwarves to put runes of fire on either their warmachines or runic weapons to deal with the Hydra.

Assuming what I know of is still true, I know in the past it is was possible for a dwarf thane to put the master rune of flight on a hammer with a rune of fire and something else and literally take out it's regeneration on the charge....and that assumes the hydra can withstand other fire combos from the dwarf war machines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

yeah, a hydra would fare pretty poorly against dwarfs, but then again, dwarfs fare pretty poorly against everything else that DE (or most other armies for that matter) bring. Being tough and having guns doesn't make up for being slow and predictable. Besides, it is sometimes possible to hide a hydra behind or in forests to preserve VP. DE have good war machine hunting units, so it isn't usually that long before it is safe for the hydras to advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the points for the Hyrda are very good, especially when compared to the Vampire Counts Vhargulf. For a big bad move up and crush monster for equal points, the Hydra takes the cake! Even it's masters can be kinda nasty. Sure they are just single wound models who hide behind it, but considering they are pretty much free with him, it's a nice added bonus.

Worst thing about the hydra? Pinning it together. *cringe*
    WH Fantasy: Vampire Counts, Dark Elves
    WH 40k: Eldar, Orks, Space Marines

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while this was discussed in the Cold One Knights thread, I might as well bring it up here.

I'm interested in the tactics that a unit of COK's on the outside flank with a WarHydra on it's interior, with both making march moves to get around the enemies flank or to rout whatever flanking unit he has out there. The combination of the terror in the Hydra and the speed of the COK's (or even dark riders if you need to) seem like they would do great in drawing away enemy war machine fire away from your own main lines towards this flanking unit.

It seems most of the successful DE lists I have seen seem to have this combo (sometimes 2 units of COK-1 on each flank of a DE army with 2 War Hydra's flanking the COK's on the end of the lines).

+ Reply to Thread