Harpy Conversions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harpy Conversions

Hey all,

I've been looking to take on a fun modeling/conversion project. Basically, I want to turn some Deamonettes into harpies. I'm going for 5 closed 5 open wings and a box of deamonettes. My only problem is that I would REALLY hate the look of deamonette lobster claws on my harpies. Based on a picture i saw of the Deamonettes sprue it looks like "claws" are the only choice in this kit.

I'm thinking that I might use my spare "spear arms" from the warrior kits...cut it off just above the gauntelt...just to give my harpies a relly different look, but at the same time keep them at least somewhat consistent with the rest of my army.

It might look really sick to have harpies flying around with spears, but it's not exactly fluffy.

My other thought was to use some spare "dryad" hands that I have kicking around. I'd just clip them a little and apply green stuff when needed

Either way, if anyone has ideas, or comments I'd love to hear about some other possible options. Like I said, I hate those lobster claws and i'm looking for a fun/unique alternative.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Try the new gargoyle wings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are actually going to do this I would really want to see the results, am also looking in this, since I really think the regular harpies are way to expensive...

I want to get around 12 for my army. That would be 70 Euro...
    Last edited by Xcross; April 10th, 2010 at 00:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've seen some awesome conversion using dryad hands for the claws

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Xcross...yeah, I plan on starting this at the end of the month, once my term papers are all done. Harpies are 18$ Canadian for a blister of 2...and they look so horrible that I probably wouldn't even use them if they were free. Im thinking 10 is all I need. So 26.50 for the box of deamonettes and 13.50 for 5 wings comes to 53$ as opposed to 90$ for crappy models. And they'll be tournament legal since it's all GW parts and models.

I'll put up some pics if they turn out alright.

Gamezone has some really crazy harpy models, but they are a little "over the top" for my army. Basically, the art style really wont be consistent with the rest of my army.

@ ernie...I found some harpy pics online that seem to have dryad hands and they look amazing. Right now I'm leaning, towards the dryad hands for at least 5 models.
    Last edited by kpooh; April 10th, 2010 at 21:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a pack of Warlord Harpies. They look pretty good! They have nice female features and fairly dynamic poses. Super easy to stick into GW bases, and I got 8 for $38 American. That was about the most I was willing to spend on them, so it worked out! And 8 is a nice solid unit size for Harpies.

Here is an image of one:
    http://www.wargamersheadquarters.com...ype=P&id=81325
    WH Fantasy: Vampire Counts, Dark Elves
    WH 40k: Eldar, Orks, Space Marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that is actually quite nice, I am going to consider that.
    last friday our "pro" dark elf player, and store manager, told me you could use Tyranid Gargoyle wings, and Daemonettes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've already started converting some deamonettes. I've been using Dryad hands instead of lobster claws and they are looking really good....looks like "bird talons" on the models, and the scale matches in terms of 'wrist size". I'm still not 100% committed to "wings" however. I'm tempted to order 2 sets of closed metal harpy wings. I think the "closed" wings might match the look I'm going for. The real problem that I foresee though is..."how the hell do I get these metal wings to work on a model that weighs next to nothing." I have a feeling that these models will end up really wobbly...to avoid the whole mess i may just go with plastic gargoyle wings. 2 sets of harpy wings cost 27$....one box of gargoyles costs 34....looking at the pictures though, I'm not sure how well the two will "mesh" together in a visual sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kpooh View Post
    I've already started converting some deamonettes. I've been using Dryad hands instead of lobster claws and they are looking really good....looks like "bird talons" on the models, and the scale matches in terms of 'wrist size". I'm still not 100% committed to "wings" however. I'm tempted to order 2 sets of closed metal harpy wings. I think the "closed" wings might match the look I'm going for. The real problem that I foresee though is..."how the hell do I get these metal wings to work on a model that weighs next to nothing." I have a feeling that these models will end up really wobbly...to avoid the whole mess i may just go with plastic gargoyle wings. 2 sets of harpy wings cost 27$....one box of gargoyles costs 34....looking at the pictures though, I'm not sure how well the two will "mesh" together in a visual sense.
    Cool, would really like to see the results if your done .

About the wings, the store managar said the gargoyle wings would fit well with the Daemonettes, you can also google it if you want to see how it looks .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I got one done as a test. Here are some pics as requested. Still some bits of sprue and flash that need to be trimmed, but overall it's not looking too bad. I still need to add a little green stuff to smooth out the Tyranid-looking sections on the wings. Again, I used Deamonettes, Dryad hands, and Nid Gargoyle wings

Sorry for the crappy pic quality, but i think you'll get the idea. (the hands look really big in the first pic for some reason)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kpooh; May 1st, 2010 at 20:58.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast