Where is he hiding! 2000pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is he hiding! 2000pts

I am trying to make an army list so that I can start buying my models as I am just getting back into the hobby. I want a list that is pretty straight forward and also going to be fun to play and vs. In my group I will primarily be vsing VC and TK and maybe even skaven (unlikely though).

Sorceress 353
    Lvl 4
    Sacrificial dagger
    2 dispel scrolls

Master - 111
    Heavy armor
    Shield
    Lance
    Cold one

14 Black Guard – 277
    Full command
    crimson death
    Banner of Hag greaf

5 cold one knights - 186
    Standard of slaughter

7 shades - 126
    GW

Core

Assassin – 151
    touch of death
    Rune of Khaine

12 Crossbowmen – 120

28 Spearmen - 211
    Shields
    Full command

5 dark riders – 117
    Mus
    RxB

5 dark riders – 117
    Mus
    RxB

5 harpies – 55

Rare
    War Hydra - 175

To me this seems like it would be a fairly strong army, however I am new so it is likely there are some things I have overlooked. I like the idea of the assassin as he has the potential of making any unit he hides in very deadly. DRs offer a screen as well as flanking options as do the harpies.
    I have a unit of 12 RxC without shields which I intend to place my Sorceress in with Dagger.
    I'm not too sure about the unit of shades, I think they could work and if I choose to deploy the assassin in the unit and give him Rending stars I could have a potentially threatening scout unit which could be used to take down lone heroes, cavalry, Engines and probably many other things, not to mention possible flanking.
    If I don't take the shades I was thinking maybe an RBT.
    Anyway what do people think any feedback will be appreciated.

Last edited by cam.ron; April 22nd, 2010 at 16:35.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

If you are going to stab guys, aren't the regular warriors a better unit for her? Warriors are cheaper. Also, why don't your dark riders have RxBs? Sure, it is a relatively expensive upgrade, but it makes them usable. Dark riders aren't hardy enough to handle much in combat TBH. Shooting gives them things they can be doing. It might be a good idea to give your shades GW. Doesn't always come up, but having WS 5 guys with GW charging a flank is something the opponent needs to worry about.

I'm not a big fan of shields on RxBs. They are a disposable support unit, keep them cheap as they can be and still fulfill their role. Besides, most shooting negates all or most of a 5+ save, and the shooting that doesn't is in such volume (either lots or little) it doesn't matter much what you do.

Full command on CoKS is a bit expensive. If you want the magic banner, just pay for that and call it good. They don't go stupid all that often, but if you dumping points into the unit, it makes when you do go stupid much more painful. For this reason I don't recommend your master build. He is just as likely to go stupid, even though he is decent in combat, all he does is add points to a unit that doesn't have many wounds.

If you are paying for FC on BG, at least make use of the champs magic item budget. Give him crimson death and watch him take out hero level guys. Also music in a ItP stubborn unit rarely comes up. You shouldn't be fleeing very often, and it doesn't matter if you lose a tie since you will be testing on 9 no matter what. Also they don't lose combat very often if build correctly. (as in 2x7 with ASF and crimson death, and maybe a barebones master with GW)

If you take a RBT, take two or more. Multiple of them makes them much more reliable at taking down big things with few wounds (like monsters and knight units) Against these things you only have a couple of turns to take them down, and missing or failing to wound enough means you might as well not taken it. So redundancy is good. In later turns, multiple means you can actually make large dents in foot units surprisingly quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks so much for all that feedback. I cut back on some things and dropped a unit of RxB, this allowed me to add 3 more shades and also GW's to the unit there is now no way this unit can be ignored if place on a flank especially with the risk of an assassin being there.
    BG unit now made to be 2x7 and they have the crimson death (I see just how deadly this unit is going to be). I like your idea of adding a naked master with GW and I will probably try this.
    Lastly I got rid of the dagger and added the black staff as I don't really like the idea of sacrificing my own men especially when I feel like the unit of warriors will be important for holding the middle. Also gives her more mobility, can place her with RxBs.
    DR also now have RxB as well.

I think these improvements will greatly improve the list, but keep the feedback coming if anyone else has anything to add.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your sorceress is illegal. You have 105 points in items. Otherwise, I think that the noble isn't really necessary. I'd suggest going for a second caster to make your casting phase unstoppable. Since you said you're playing VC and TK, I'd suggest dropping a scroll since both won't be casting gamebreakers, instead they'll be dropping (for VC atleast) anywhere from 5-10 spells a turn. VC cast spells, you can't really stop them, so I'd keep your magic offense in the form of the staff and drop a scroll to allow it to stay. As for the second caster, drop a harpy or crossbowmen and you should have points for a Lvl 2 with an item of some sort. Otherwise the list seems pretty solid.

Personally I'd drop a unit of DR and trim some points in hopes of getting 2 RBT's or a cheaper yet douchier second hydra. I think the second DR is a redundant unit you don't need, you already have scouts, a first unit of DR and a unit of flyers. All of those can hunt warmachines, marchblock and flank. Filling your rares is something that always serves me well with DE since you can never go wrong. Same goes for specials but if you have some big characters, I see that sometimes you can't have all three. Anyway, these are personal tastes for my army, but I think for the most part, you'd do fine without these changes, though again, the DR are a tad redundant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your sorceress is illegal. You have 105 points in items
    Yes sorry I haven't been back on this forum to check the post in a few days, but I actually opted to increase the warrior unit to 28 and to give her the sacrificial dagger. This means my Magical offensive should be extremely powerful with just her alone.
    Also I agree with you about the master, I think instead I will put a master in the unit of BG to boost them even more or like you suggested add another lvl 2.
    I can also see how the DR unit could be redundant, however I really like the control they give me over when and where units get charged, the RxBs also add a bit more shooting which I like, I guess I will just have to test it out and if they aren't performing well I may try to fit in 2xRBTs or something with a bit more aggression, maybe not another Hydra (OTT maybe for fun games?).
    Thanks for your feedback though dude It is good to hear what others think

NOTE: List is now updated.
    Last edited by cam.ron; April 22nd, 2010 at 16:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, it really comes down to personal playstyle, those were really just thoughts of how I prefer but it should be fine as is. To each his own.

I'm really just posting to say that 2 hydras is in no way friendly (did I interpret that wrong, I think thats what you said, not 100% sure though), in fact it's probly a good way to piss all your friends off and make them not want to play you. I just suggested it in case you were looking to be competitive or a tourney player.

Edit: just realized that you were agreeing that it's really competitive, so yea, my bad, good to know you agree, hehe...
    Last edited by insomniac666; April 23rd, 2010 at 01:32.

+ Reply to Thread