Cauldron of Blood INVINCIBLE? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cauldron of Blood INVINCIBLE?

I have been looking at the new rulebokk for a couple of days now and have seen the rules for warmachines which says that any shooting or missle (magic included), target the warmachine, and not the crew so the toughness of the warmachine is used but the crew still get to use their armour save aswell, which doesnt make sense.

BUT, the cauldron of blood counts as a warmachine meaning all hits affect the actual cauldron, BUT the cauldron rules state that any hits on the cauldron are ignored, and the crew cant be hit because of the new so, the cauldron is INVINCIBLE against shooting and magic missile, so the only way to kill (for the most part) is in combat.

BUT units can only have six models fight against the crew and the hag whose is always striking first and has the potential to have of 6 attacks (rune of khaine) with manbane poison as well as 2 crewmembers attacking all with ahtred and a 4+ ward save, so even in combat the its hard to kill

PLEASE someone correct me other wise this is unbeliveably stupid, list ideas from friends have come up a block of 30-50 executioners witht the banner of always strike first, with a cauldron of blood either side, and a charachter witht the ring of hotek in the middle of the unit, and then millions of crossbowmen assassains and bolt throwers

correct me somehow to stop this happening

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Errata! Pray for the errata!
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

If your friends want to play CheeseHammer they should look into 40k
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Just shoot the block of guys, and let their 200 point blessing batteries have little to do. CoB can't charge IIRC, so ignore it, it can't directly hurt you.

BTW, hags don't strike first, but they do strike very fast with their Initiative of 8. So unless the opponent has 9, or asf, she is going to just wreck the enemy first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

b"h
    Unless the unit charging the cauldren is a chariot (who have impact hits) or a monster (who will survive the initial attacks), and that could kill a cauldron of blood. and also static combat resolution of course. Thankfully our cauldren don't have to charge becouse frenzy allow a leadership test to not charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

It's a war machine, are war machines allowed to charge this edition? They weren't in 7th.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    726 (x8)

Killing a Cauldron in combat doesn't seem that difficult to me, since you can still get plenty of combat resolution bonuses on your side. Unless challenging has changed, you can also get rid of the hag by challenging her with a unit champ, letting your grunts get the drop on the crew.

And I'm really not sold on massive units of 50+ models. It'll work for a couple armies--Orcs, Skaven and the undead--but I can't see many other players overlooking the drawbacks. At best it's just another death star, with the problems of poor maneuverability, vulnerability to templates and consisting of low-quality models. That super-executioner block already mentioned will also be heavily dependent on the enemy coming to them, as they dare not leave the Cauldron's influence.
    "This is Commissar Yorick to all squads. Captain Luckless made a mistake. You now have the honor of serving me."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

If you challange the cauldron, she has TWO champions to call upon. GW stated that the hags that are crew, are the same as the hags that are unit champions and can accept challenges the same way. Also those champions are not the normal chumps you are used to facing. They are 4 attacks with poison killing machines. Also, its quite possible if you fail to kill enough, that your opponent will get a chance to use the blessing on its self (I don't see any reason why it can't) and KB you to death with the high number of attacks it gets. Something is seriously wrong when a war machine crew gets 13 attacks at Initiative 8 and 6. (not to mention a 4+ ward save)

It just seems foolish to try and fight a cauldron in CC unless you have special rule protections. (asf or impact hits) Just shoot them, its easier and doesn't expose you to any risk in combat. Also CoB can't get in combat unless you charge it, so why put your hand into the blender? (humerously enough, it does look a bit like a cake mixer)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Harlecrons View Post
    I have been looking at the new rulebokk for a couple of days now and have seen the rules for warmachines which says that any shooting or missle (magic included), target the warmachine, and not the crew so the toughness of the warmachine is used but the crew still get to use their armour save aswell, which doesnt make sense.

BUT, the cauldron of blood counts as a warmachine meaning all hits affect the actual cauldron, BUT the cauldron rules state that any hits on the cauldron are ignored, and the crew cant be hit because of the new so, the cauldron is INVINCIBLE against shooting and magic missile, so the only way to kill (for the most part) is in combat.

BUT units can only have six models fight against the crew and the hag whose is always striking first and has the potential to have of 6 attacks (rune of khaine) with manbane poison as well as 2 crewmembers attacking all with ahtred and a 4+ ward save, so even in combat the its hard to kill

PLEASE someone correct me other wise this is unbeliveably stupid, list ideas from friends have come up a block of 30-50 executioners witht the banner of always strike first, with a cauldron of blood either side, and a charachter witht the ring of hotek in the middle of the unit, and then millions of crossbowmen assassains and bolt throwers

correct me somehow to stop this happening
    that is not how it works. Regardless of what it's rules are, the crew serve as wounds to the warmachine now (they are effectively the same profile if you like. You no longer randomize, but simply roll to hit against the warmachine as a whole, using the toughness of the warmachine at ranged (as the crew cowers behind it for cover). In combat you will use the crew's toughness.

So whatever the toughness of the cauldron is you roll against to wound. with shooting, each wound will that is not saved will kill a crew.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

b"h
    You can have 10 men fighting the crew and the hag (not 6), becouse you can put 3 model next to the 3 crew members and 2 more diagonaly, so the front rank give 5, these 5 are in base contact with 7 of the second rank so it can becomes 12 in the case of wide units. In a horde of spearmen it could be even 31.