Dreadlords at 1.5k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Dreadlords at 1.5k

Hi all

Was working out some 1500pt lists for 8th edition, I realised you can get a Dready with Crimson Death and armour of Darkness for 190pts (when you think about it, its only as much as a level 2)

Seems pretty cost effective for 4 S6 attacks, a 1+ save, and Ld10 for a fair chunk of your army.

Or for slightly higher cost you could take mundane armour and go with the Pendant of Khaeleth.

I imagine most other armies will be trying to squeeze lords in at 1500, I'm not sure Masters are going to cut it anymore at anything over 1000pts

Thoughts?
    Cheers

Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Honestly I would invest in more guys over investing in more characters. A choppy lord may sound good, but at the very best he kills 4 guys, but for his points you can have a whole unit of guys who can do much better than that. (like a unit of CoKs, small unit of black guard or witches, or a hyrda)

Personally I would just buy a supreme sorceress at 1500, if I were to go with a lord. At 1500 you can spend I believe 375 on a lord, a lvl 4 with some gear can be brought under that limit. Considering that other armies will be taking more high level wizards (some can take level 3s and goblins can get a level 4 for the cost of our lvl 2s) I really think that its even more important to spend your lord choice on sorceress than it was before. With how dispel and casting works, bringing multiple low wizards isn't nearly as good as bringing a single high level wizard.

A dreadlord suffers from the same problem that any combat character does: not being useful for most of the game. Add in the issue with him costing so much, and taking up lord points, I'll stick with masters, and only as BSBs or manticore riders .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first question Manu, is where do you imagine putting this lord? is he meant to beef up a crucial unit?

My second question is, for a 1500 pt game why not just make this lord a master. Masters can take both of those items; you can essentially run this character for 60 pts less...still have ld9....and 7 initiative. (10 more spearmen or 6 more witches would perhaps be more useful?)

In 8th, I'm really tempted to run cheap Masters on foot and stick them in with core units. I'm not sure if I would use a CC lord at 1500 pts, but at higher points levels I'm definitely considering a similar set-up in a unit of 10x4 spearmen.

BSB is also a really important consideration in 8th....I haven't really devoted myself to figuring out what I'll be doing for that yet...so a lord in a large unit of core troops may be an option (perhaps a bad one)..... I might use a hero on a manticore or a dark steed even....either way...I think with new bsb rules, Master/Lords will be a must for every list.
    Last edited by kpooh; July 9th, 2010 at 17:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a a game of 8th (1500pts) I took a Lord with Crimson Death, Black Dragon Egg, Pendant, Seadragon Cloak, Heavy Armor, on top of a chariot. This guy is a wrecking crew!
    Last edited by 1337Malekith; July 9th, 2010 at 20:21.
    Darks Elves 6000ptsWood Elves 500pts (WIP)
    Imperial Guard 5000pts
    http://mr-godz.mybrute.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Hmm, valid points Notabot.
    My reasoning though was that other armies would be taking geared up Tomb Kings, Dwarf Lords, etc which would be very difficult to counter with only a Master (or only magic), other than avoiding them like the plague.

You may be right though that most people will give in to the urge to go magic heavy, given all the shiney new rules.

@ Kooph, yes he would probably be used to beef up a large unit of Spearmen. 60 points isnt bad for his extra stats +1 WS, W, I, Ld. My point was that a Master just wont hack it if the opponent opts to take a nasty lord. You lose 130 points, where as for an extra 60 he may have a chance, or may even win.
    Though as said above, most people will probably run level 4's for their lord points, and hero level melee characters.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason I made the Dread Lord build up above is because it can beat down a rank and file unit with impact, 2d6 autohitting str 4 attacks, his 4 str 6 attacks, 2 cold ones, and a str 5 rider with him. Also him being toughness 6 for a turn and the chariot being toughness 5 will give people some thought at what to strike at.

Also in 1500pts I would suggest a level 2 with tome and crystal of midnight.

Why the crystal? Because the spells this edition are so massive that it will help getting rid of at least one of them because they WILL kill more than the point cost of the item.
    Last edited by 1337Malekith; July 10th, 2010 at 04:30.
    Imperial Guard 5000pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by 1337Malekith View Post
    The reason I made the Dread Lord build up above is because it can beat down a rank and file unit with impact, 2d6 autohitting str 4 attacks, his 4 str 6 attacks, 2 cold ones, and a str 5 rider with him. Also him being toughness 6 for a turn and the chariot being toughness 5 will give people some thought at what to strike at.

Also in 1500pts I would suggest a level 2 with tome and crystal of midnight.

Why the crystal? Because the spells this edition are so massive that it will help getting rid of at least one of them because they WILL kill more than the point cost of the item.

I thought that black dragon egg was foot models only. Correct me if I'm wrong, don't have book in front of me (left at game store ), only army builder ATM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is perfectly legal to use with a mounted lord, just need to predict the right time to use it. If you roll high then he can easily take down a rank and file unit.
    Imperial Guard 5000pts

+ Reply to Thread